Intel Haswell-E (X-99 chipset) processors reviews.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
This is what I was planning for my own birthday present. After a bunch of reading, the MSI X99S MPOWER seemed like a decent stable motherboard compared to many of the others out there. I need to figure out what CPU cooler to go with. I'm curious about one of those self-contained water blocks like in the corsair H110.

Is MSI OK nowadays? I like the fact that one can have 10 USB 3.0 ports. I'm thinking of using a 512GB XP941 in the M.2 if it can boot.

Handruin

Administrator

LunarMist

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I added a Plextor M6e to my GAX99-UD4 machine. I had to upgrade my firmware to the F12 revision so that it was recognized as a boot device, though the Windows installer recognized it immediately. The firmware also had to be set to UEFI mode, which I typically don't use when I can avoid it and which Gigabyte does not explicitly mention in its documentation.

There's a modest subjective improvement over the Crucial M550, most notable in the time it takes to load my user profile during the login process. I've relegated the M550 to virtual machine storage.

I don't know if it's a characteristic of the Plextor drive or of M.2 drives generally, but my drive was easily the warmest component in the PC while I was copying over the ~40GB of user data from one drive to the other. Apparently the Samsung M.2 drive also gets pretty warm.

LunarMist

I added a Plextor M6e to my GAX99-UD4 machine. I had to upgrade my firmware to the F12 revision so that it was recognized as a boot device, though the Windows installer recognized it immediately. The firmware also had to be set to UEFI mode, which I typically don't use when I can avoid it and which Gigabyte does not explicitly mention in its documentation.

There's a modest subjective improvement over the Crucial M550, most notable in the time it takes to load my user profile during the login process. I've relegated the M550 to virtual machine storage.

I don't know if it's a characteristic of the Plextor drive or of M.2 drives generally, but my drive was easily the warmest component in the PC while I was copying over the ~40GB of user data from one drive to the other. Apparently the Samsung M.2 drive also gets pretty warm.

The Samsung is warm, but not too hot in use. Why did you buy the much slower Plextor rather than the Samsung?

Mercutio

Because Samsung couldn't be bothered to do the right thing when they lost my drive while it was supposed to be in their custody.

Mercutio

Looks like some of the big OEMs are releasing refreshed Z97/X99 motherboards now that there's a minor update to the USB spec (for 3.1, not C). I'm pleasantly surprised by that.

LunarMist

Looks like some of the big OEMs are releasing refreshed Z97/X99 motherboards now that there's a minor update to the USB spec (for 3.1, not C). I'm pleasantly surprised by that.

I bought a new x99 mainboard at the end of April that supposedly has UPS 3.1. Somehow my earlier MB started working again, so I never opened the box. Are there boards with newer chipset since April already? :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Same main chipset, but different USB controllers would be my guess.

I hope for you that your UPS 3.1 last much longer than your previous UPS.

LunarMist

I meant the USB. :oops: The old (January) X99 board is working fine at least in normal use. There is some oddity about booting from legendary devices causing a loop and then it can't get back to normal.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I have yet to go the X99 route. My customer builds are still Z97. So far, the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H has served me well. For CPU cooling, the Noctua NH-U14S is great, if the enclosure has the space.

Mercutio

I have a Noctua NH-D9L sitting here that I can't for the life of me fit to an Asrock EPC612D8A. Noctua's docs say it should fit 2011v3 but if it does I have no idea how.

Mercutio

There's room for it and the HSF fits in my 3U enclosure (in fact, there's a bullet point on the box about its 3U compatibility) but the brackets they gave me look like they're only sized for 115x and not 2011 and they're either too short or I'm failing at basic geometry. But Noctua's documentation says I should use the same bracket for both.

Mercutio

LGA2011 AFAIK is always on the rectangular pattern, but I've been able to mount other Noctua coolers on other LGA 2011 boards without issue. I want to say I'm probably just missing hardware that should've been in the box but if that's the case their docs are still wrong.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
LGA2011 AFAIK is always on the rectangular pattern, but I've been able to mount other Noctua coolers on other LGA 2011 boards without issue. I want to say I'm probably just missing hardware that should've been in the box but if that's the case their docs are still wrong.

Merc, I gave you the specs on the two patterns. You have a cooler for the square pattern, 80x80, and have a board for the narrow pattern, 56x94. You can even see in the picture for your board that it is not the same pattern. You're not missing hardware, the documentation is not wrong. You have the wrong product from Noctua. Your board is not 2011v3, it is 2011 R3, which is the narrow pattern.

Mercutio

The guy at Noctua got back to me. I sent them a proof of purchase and I guess they're going to mail me the brackets I need.
I love Noctua fans to death but I think I'm about 50-50 on getting complete kits when I buy their HSFs.

Mercutio

My first thought was a dual board rackmount setup but not with X99 and only two DIMM slots. I could at least make a use case out of that as someone who pays $60/month for 2U of space in a datacenter.
I just bought an Asrock C612 board for a server build. I've been unimpressed with Supermicro support in the past and they're only offering one year warranties on server boards. On that level I figure Asrock at least can't be any worse.

Let's all take a minute to curse the fact that Intel isn't shipping branded motherboards any more.

Mercutio

Not quite three weeks later, I finally get the mounting kit for the NH-D9L and it doesn't have any instructions and I don't see any way to make the brackets they sent me securely fasten to the motherboard that I actually have. There's $5300 worth of computer in pieces around my office for want of maybe $1 worth of machined aluminum.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Not quite three weeks later, I finally get the mounting kit for the NH-D9L and it doesn't have any instructions and I don't see any way to make the brackets they sent me securely fasten to the motherboard that I actually have. There's $5300 worth of computer in pieces around my office for want of maybe $1 worth of machined aluminum.

Are the new brackets the same as what you were trying to use?

Mercutio

Nope. They're the right length but don't align to the attachment points the HSF would otherwise use. I wonder if I just got the wrong set.