Intel X299: What is it good for?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
All in One. The cooling system, radiator, fan, hoses, etc are sold as a complete, ready to work unit.

Aren't there different materials with metallic and composite components, several couplings, polymer tubing, etc.?
I was hoping for a model number. :lol:

Stereodude

Not really a
1920X (and supporting parts) and Vega Frontier Liquid ordered. Should be here in a week or so. Still haven't ordered an i9, but will once they are in stock again. Any particular tests people want to see?
So you can run really Cinebench benchmark runs really fast in a loop and post the results online for bragging rights? Or do you have some very thread heavy tasks to throw at it?

Multiple simultaneous x264 transcoding sessions and mass FLAC to AAC/MP3 conversions is about all I do where my 2x 10C/20T E5 v2 Xeon system is really flexing its muscles. It's very powerful, but most of the time it sits powered off since I have no need of all those cores on any regular basis. Even my desktop with 8C/16T (E5-2687W v2) is quite overkill for what I do most of the time.

ddrueding

Fixture
Eventually it will run a bunch of virtual machines, but I'm curious how many cores I can get above zero running a worst-case gaming scenario. In one of the games I play I run 5 clients simultaneously along with a half-dozen supporting applications and screen capture. The 6900k I'm on now will show some usage on all the threads.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't understand all that. Is it for business or you are buying it personally?

ddrueding

Fixture
Part of the R&D budget at work. I want to make sure there are no issues with the Threadripper platform on ESXi before I buy them for production use. The GPU I'll probably use for Etherium or something after I'm done with the benchmarks (unless it is better than the 1080ti I'm running now).

Stereodude

Not really a
Part of the R&D budget at work. I want to make sure there are no issues with the Threadripper platform on ESXi before I buy them for production use.
Isn't it rather unlikely that a brand new platform from AMD that just came out isn't going to have issues with ESXi? You're on the bleeding edge and I expect it will be bloody.

ddrueding

Fixture
I now have all the parts except for the processors. Both the 1920X and 7900X are giving very vague ETAs, though the Frontier Edition Liquid showed up tonight.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
My thinking is usually to choose the larger, better known company when I don't know much about the industry.
For example I know of Synology and QNAP. There are other brands like Thecus and Noontec, but I would not buy them even if they are cheaper or better in some performance category.
This is the "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM," theory of tech buying.

Handruin

Administrator
What are your plans with these new systems? I love the Threadripper product packaging.

ddrueding

Fixture
General performance testing and tinkering. Run the stuff my clients usually run on systems and test a few installs just to be familiar. Then (hopefully) still sell them off at a premium due to availability shortages. But I usually end up keeping something.