Interesting high-end TOR switch from the OCP initiative

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
In case anyone here is looking to increase the networking capacity of their installations, you might want to take a look at this switch. It is a modular design from the Open compute Platform organisation. I don't know how much it cost, but it should be quite affordable compared to whatever similar switch currently on the market, due to its open design.

I loosely followed the OCP summit these past two days. Their open server design doesn't interest me all that much because it doesn't fit the typical needs of my company's customers. Their open networking design though, that's another story. I suspect I might not be the only one here to have an interest in those.

Interface Masters Technologies (the company selling that switch) is based in San Jose, not far North from Salinas, where Ddrueding's living.

ddrueding

Fixture
Good find. I'll look into it more when I get to a real computer. The number of 24 and 48 port switches I'm using now is annoying.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
It might be cheap compared to the competition, but it still looks mighty costly. How inexpensive can a managed fibre 12x40GbE+48x10GbE be? My guess is $30,000 at the low-end.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It might be cheap compared to the competition, but it still looks mighty costly. How inexpensive can a managed fibre 12x40GbE+48x10GbE be? My guess is $30,000 at the low-end.
I wouldn't be too surprise to see it at less than 20K$. There's a Supermicro switch with a similar switching capacity (1.28Tbps) that can be found around 11K$. It only has 4x40GbE ports, but it has the same 48x10GbE ports.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Maybe I'm having trouble seeing it on the phone but I don't see agony specs for throughput.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/interface-masters-announces-1-28tbps-161240671.html

Back when the switch was officially launched in December, there was a bunch of announcements about it (just Google 2948-12XL-OCP).

The system is based on Broadcom's StrataXGS® Trident II switch chip with 1.2Tbps of bandwidth, non-blocking technology, low latency and can handle up to 960Gbps of traffic.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Good find. I'll look into it more when I get to a real computer. The number of 24 and 48 port switches I'm using now is annoying.
So, did you buy some higher-end switch to resolve your port number issue or not? If not, I might have a deal for you, thanks to a cancelled order from one of my suppliers. HP JG846A (4x HP JC772A bundle, plus some LC+SR transceivers) : ~50,000$CDN plus shipping on a pallet (~47,000U$) It is normally worth north of 65,000U$. I'll have to talk with my boss about it, but I should be able to get one or two kits. Just in case you're in the market...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So, did you buy some higher-end switch to resolve your port number issue or not? If not, I might have a deal for you, thanks to a cancelled order from one of my suppliers.

HP JG846A (4x HP JC772A bundle, plus some LC+SR transceivers) : ~50,000$CDN plus shipping on a pallet (~47,000U$)
It is normally worth north of 65,000U$.

I'll have to talk with my boss about it, but I should be able to get one or two kits. Just in case you're in the market...

Same post, without the spacing issue.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thanks, but I ended up settling on a bunch of Cisco 50-port units. I've spent about $400k in the last month, so I suspect my budget is blown for the year.