KVM Switch

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I should be receiving a new monitor in April with any luck. The monitor will have DVI-D, DP and HDMI inputs at a resolution of 2560x1440.
My old KVM is DVI DL only and that seems to be a dying breed. Is HDMI the main standard now and in the next 4-5 years or should I use DP?
My laptop will have mini DP and regular HDMI ports, though the quality of the external video doesn't matter too much for that. The internal display is also 2560x1440, so I'm assuming that it will drive the external monitor without any resizing issues.
Which 4-input KVM switch is recommended? It should have separate stereo mini ports for audio; the display does not contain audio like a TV. Thanks.

LunarMist

IMO, you should use DisplayPort. It's the most common interface for multi-monitor setups.

I would be using it for multi-computers rather than multi-monitors, but I'm all for whatever is better and has less obsolescence.
Unfortunately I only find a few 4-port Displayport KVMs and they are rather expensive. Are there any you can recommend?

LunarMist

I don't know those products. Which switch should I buy?

LunarMist

I doubt software would preserve the custom colorspace and calibrations. Even so I want to run one machine at a time or a combination of 2 of 3, plus the company laptop. My goals this summer are to take the main computer off the internet and build something less power consuming/heat producing and still have my backup system and laptop options as usual.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Perhaps the question should be, why do you have so many machines that are sharing one monitor, keyboard, and mouse?

LunarMist

Perhaps the question should be, why do you have so many machines that are sharing one monitor, keyboard, and mouse?

The minimum would be three, two desktop machines (in case one fails or I am working on one) and one company laptop. I'm thinking about adding a low-power, tiny machine just for the internet and e-mails, but that is for another thread.

I understand some people work on laptops directly, but it is very inefficient and not ergonomic, especially the thin keyboards on the 3lb. machines we have.
Ergonomics important due to my physical issues, which will only get worse. There is also limited space in my workroom for extra chairs, monitors and keyboards.
At one time I did use two monitors, but they were not the same model and accurate color matching was impossible. For some reason I see all the monitor variations easily and it can be frustrating. For example I don't want a monitor artifact affecting my perception when applying a gradient curve across an image.

I just figure that a KVM has to be less expensive than $2000 for a second monitor.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Why not just use multiple inputs on the same monitor? Not quite as convenient, but considerably cheaper.

You can hot plug keyboard and mouse if you feel the need to share.

LunarMist

Why not just use multiple inputs on the same monitor? Not quite as convenient, but considerably cheaper.

You can hot plug keyboard and mouse if you feel the need to share.

The new monitor is still MIA. I could continue to use the old KVM for the K_M, but I'm not sure about the interoperability of the three standards.
Which ones can be converted with simple adapters and which would require some active device that could compromise the data or change the colorspace?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Only Vga is not digital, conversion between dvi and hdmi is a simple adapter. However, I'm not aware if the signal is preserved to the degree you need.

Stereodude

Not really a
The new monitor is still MIA. I could continue to use the old KVM for the K_M, but I'm not sure about the interoperability of the three standards.
Which ones can be converted with simple adapters and which would require some active device that could compromise the data or change the colorspace?
None of them are active in that sense. HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible for displays up to 1920x1200. DisplayPort is different, but can emulate HDMI/single link DVI when the passive adapter triggers it. There are active adapters, but the source doesn't know about them. As such they're just electrical pass through.

LunarMist

None of them are active in that sense. HDMI and DVI are electrically compatible for displays up to 1920x1200. DisplayPort is different, but can emulate HDMI/single link DVI when the passive adapter triggers it. There are active adapters, but the source doesn't know about them. As such they're just electrical pass through.

Thanks. I need to read up on the displays. All the photo people are into the DP. I know that DP and HDMI can support 10 bits, but often don't.
Since I'm not building a new main system I can get a new video card if needed.

LunarMist

The grim reality is that KVM is rather pointless above 1920x1200 unless every device has the same outputs.
DP/mini-DP is the most common denominator of the devices. What do you think of the IONEAR GCS1934 KVM?

LunarMist

Are there any security issues with using the KVM, i.e., could something spread from one computer to the other?

ddrueding

Fixture
With PS/2 inputs for sure no. USB could in theory pass stuff through memory on one of the devices. A memory stick left in the keyboard? I know some mice have a USB storage portion for drivers/profiles...

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I bet you can click on the "Price" button below the two shown models and know exactly how unaffordable they are.

LunarMist

I learned something about the DVI last week. Apparently it is possible to use the regular mode (single link) for 2560x displays if the refresh is reduced to 30Hz. :DOH: The Egyptian KVM switch also fails to mention that resolution over 1920x1200 is supported. :(

I read online that 30Hz is considered terrible, but I'm not seeing any difference from any other monitor. There is no flickering at all, even when viewing Trinton Azaleth style.

Stereodude

Not really a
Of course it's not going to flicker. It's not a CRT. A LCD is a sample and hold display. It just updates less frequently.

LunarMist

Of course it's not going to flicker. It's not a CRT. A LCD is a sample and hold display. It just updates less frequently.

Well, my desktop, PS, DPP, NX-D or the internet doesn't update very fast. :)

LunarMist

I can see some artifacts when the mouse is jerking around.

LunarMist

I beg to differ. It's bad for any sort of scrolling too.

I have mainly older programs that have little to no scrolling. The Scroll Lock works fine between the computers if that makes any difference.