Laptop Recommendation Please

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
I have just been told I can buy myself a new laptop for work. I can spend about $1500 before I have to start explaining why I need something more expensive.

So, I though this would be a good place to ask which are your favorites. I currently have an older Dell Inspiron which I think is built kinda flimsy.

I run a variety of Microsoft Office Applications and Peachtree Accounting so there is nothing really out of the ordinary.

Thanks

ddrueding

Fixture
Dell Latitude or Lenovo are my favorites. Dell Inspiron and HP/Compaq are my least favorite.

The biggest question probably is, how much traveling will this laptop do and therefore how big a screen do you want?

ddrueding

Fixture
I just threw together a Latitude D520 as follows:

Core2Duo @ 2Ghz
2GB RAM
80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
DVD-RW
802.11g / Bluetooth
15" XGA 4:3 screen

~$1200

I would put the rest into a port replicator, nice monitor, keyboard and mouse. I think too little emphasis is put on the parts that you actually interact with.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
Lenovo seconded, but only the Thinkpad line. As our computer guy responded about our purchase of some T60s "The T series are the same as the IBMs of old. The actual Lenovo (non ThinkPad) stuff is retail crap."

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
Dell Latitude or Lenovo are my favorites. Dell Inspiron and HP/Compaq are my least favorite.

The biggest question probably is, how much traveling will this laptop do and therefore how big a screen do you want?

The laptop actually does very little traveling. They (work) want me to have a laptop so I can take it home or to meetings but I rarely need to travel with it. I take it home every other weekend and to a offsite meeting maybe once a month. I think I prefer a 15" ish screen.

ddrueding

Fixture
While at work, do you use an attached monitor/keyboard/mouse? I find anything less than a 19" 4:3 to be sub-optimal for work. I've grown quite attached to the 22" 4:3 I have at home. As your computing needs seem to be quite basic, I'd recommend not spending more than $900-$1000 on the machine itself, and spending the rest on things you will appreciate.

ddrueding

Fixture
Core2Duo @ 1.66Ghz
1GB RAM
80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
DVD-RW
802.11g / Bluetooth
15" XGA 4:3 screen

~$900

Port Replicator: $130
19" LCD Monitor: $300
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5000 Laser (Bluetooth): $150

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If the budget is 1500$, then it is useless to quote something around 900$. Get it all or you'll lose it. And for 1500U$, you CAN have a Thinkpad T series. When you can have a T series, you get a T series. Period. End of argument. It IS the best laptop you can buy. The competition is for the second place.

Get a Thinkpad T.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If the budget is 1500$, then it is useless to quote something around 900$. Get it all or you'll lose it. And for 1500U$, you CAN have a Thinkpad T series. When you can have a T series, you get a T series. Period. End of argument. It IS the best laptop you can buy. The competition is for the second place.

Get a Thinkpad T.

Agreed.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!

Get a Thinkpad T.

How about saving your employer a little money and getting only as much computer as you need rather than just trying to spend the max they will allow?

e_dawg

Storage Freak
How about saving your employer a little money and getting only as much computer as you need rather than just trying to spend the max they will allow?

Because it doesn't make you look good in their eyes anyways; they won't appreciate your gesture. They approved $1,500 because that's what they thought was reasonable and that's what they budgeted for. If you only use $900, they gotta find somewhere to put the $600 and that actually causes more work for whoever's dealing with the budget.

Given that, it's always smart to protect future budget or expenditure allowances. If you say you only need $900 now, that's all you're going to get in the future. They will always say "well $900 was perfectly fine 2 years ago; I don't know why you need $1,500 now"

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
Thanks everyone. I will be making my purchase sometime this week. I will let you know what I decided on.