Laptop time?

sedrosken

Florida Man
I'm still biding my time waiting for the price on the 16GB kit of RAM I want to buy for my work laptop to go down. I wonder if I shouldn't bite the bullet and go straight to 32, but I don't want to pay those prices -- then again, I don't even want to pay for the 16GB kit, I feel that should have been the base config of the machine. But, the SKU that had 16GB from factory also had an i7, which I don't need (the difference between the i5 and i7 for this gen is just clocks and cache), and cost almost twice as much all-told, so maybe I should just suck it up and grab the RAM I need. I'm also contemplating buying a bigger SSD -- I'm not having space issues... yet... but if I move my AD lab from my work desktop, I'll definitely start to feel the pressure.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Having got all this lovely new kit, I won't be using it for another month or two. I'm off to the old house for a month or so shortly, and I'll take the old laptop because it is compatible with the stuff there (screens mostly, and there is a docking station) and I can't be bothered looking around for and possibly buying adaptors and stuff (HDMI or DP to DVI, maybe other things). The only things I can't run on the old Thinkpad are the latest version of music recording and photo editing applications, and I won't be wanting those things over there anyway.

I hear you on factory configs and crazy pricing, Sedrosken. Speaking of crazy pricing, I'm laughing at the "Black Friday special" discounts scam. The Kingston hard drive I bought on a "Black Friday special" is now selling as standard for that exact same price, and the Samsung drive I ordered yesterday is cheaper now that it was when the specials were on. Mind you, Black Friday is mostly an American thing, a lot of the rest of the world pretty much ignores it. In this country, "Black Friday" always means 13 January 1939, the dreadful day when the temperature passed 45c (about 115f) with a scorching northerly wind, and bushfires killed 71 people in Victoria.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How do you prevent laptop battery drain in storage? In the old days the battery could be removed and later some units had a button that would disconnect it internally until power was applied. However, my LG machine has no controls over the battery and loses power each day. I'm sure the battery will be completely dead after a few weeks of disuse. 😡

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
It's just like phones. The batteries are entirely internal now and we don't get a choice in how they're configured, unless we feel like pulling the bottom plate off.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
I've sighed and decided that I'll probably get a Thinkpad X1 Extreme gen 4. The ones that have an RTX3050 can have two DIMMs and two SSDs in them, and I can get a WQHD screen on one, even if I'm not overly fond of a 16" laptop. I've looked through most of the offerings at around $2500 and nothing is ticking all my boxes. Unfortunately, the X1 Extreme is also Extremely-Backordered, and I can't even get one until June. Ouch.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It looks like they are 11th gen Intel. I thought there would be Alder Lakes by the Summertime.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Sign. Nearly March and we haven't got around to using the new lappy for anything much yet. Still using the old one because someone is too lazy to finish off all the data transfer and configuration stuff.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
It looks like they are 11th gen Intel. I thought there would be Alder Lakes by the Summertime.

I'm tempted to go next-gen, but I'm not sold on the Alder Lake approach. It's still more CPU cores, but AMD is offering higher efficiency on a smaller number of cores. I'm a bit stuck, since Intel doesn't have great support for AMD on professional systems and I'm really not comfortable with the gaming/content creation models from Asus or Razer or Gigabyte that undoubtedly will have a quality AMD offering. At the moment, I don't carry my Thinkpad on trips and I don't expect it to be great with content creation tools, but I think that if I got a new system, I would want and expect that, which would make the matter of durability more important.

There's also the question of what AMD's next-generation product will offer, since I have chosen to punt on the question of a new laptop until the summer anyway. Things were a bit easier when Intel was the only serious offering in the laptop space.

Still using the old one because someone is too lazy to finish off all the data transfer and configuration stuff.

Working on a new system of myself is usually pretty traumatic because I have to think about all the commercial software licenses I have to move, plus security certificates, plus finding highly specific application configs that may not be amenable to moving and THEN dealing with user data. Most of my data lives on shared drives anyway, but there's always something. It's one thing to hop on a machine I'm going to reset in a couple days. It's something completely different if I expect to keep it for months or years. I feel your pain.