Laptops with large 1080P displays?

ddrueding

Fixture
Looking for a laptop for use in a presentation space. Ideally it will have a large screen (something larger than 15.6") with 1080P native resolution, HDMI out, screencast support, and a large enough battery to run all day. I'll also be soliciting for a list of the software you'd install on a machine like this to maximize the likelihood that the computer can open whatever file format someone brings on a thumbdrive.

A base Lenovo P70 ticks all the right boxes, but is more than the budget will accommodate at the moment. Under $1k would be awesome.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Maybe a Precision 6700? My first thought would be to track down a one or two year old Workstation model rather than trying to bring some consumer-grade 17" POS up to snuff.

As far as getting software, having Office, Xnview or Picasa, WinAmp and either VLC or the K-Lite Codec pack would probably take care of everything outside content-creation specific applications. Maybe you need AutoCAD or Adobe Creative Suite but if so you'd already know that.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The HP ProBook 870 G3 with 1080p display and 6-cell battery should do what you are after... It also has a VGA connector for those older projectors...

Newegg has the 870 G3 with 1080p display, but the 4-cell battery for $961.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I haven't seen the last generation of ProBook, but if they are anything like the Probook G1, then they are what I qualify as consumer-grade product. not business-grade by a long shot. That might be ok for this customer, given the allowed budget. You just have to be clear that it is in no way comparable to an HP ZBook, Lenovo P70 or Dell Precision 6700.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Probooks are like Dell Vostro or Lenovo E series. They're consumer models with business support. That's not the worst thing ever but it doesn't really help the brand, either.