question Larger TVs

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So I purchased the retail box, but my disc keeps falling out when it is upright. :(

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't think most blu-ray players are intended to stand on edge (assuming that's what your cryptic comment is about).

LunarMist

Yeah, the little lips that grip the disk are missing. :mad:

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I think we should all be very grateful that Lunar's typing is better than normal right now.

LunarMist

I think the 4th DVD recorder will have to go. When I open the door on the BR the DVD closes and vice versa. :doh: I don't know what I was thinking by buying the same brand.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think the 4th DVD recorder will have to go. When I open the door on the BR the DVD closes and vice versa. :doh: I don't know what I was thinking by buying the same brand.

I'm having that problem with my audio stuff at the moment. My two receivers and two stereo amps are all Onkyo, and all respond to the same volume/source commands. Not sure how I'm going to fix this one.

LunarMist

My solution may be to remove it. Now I have three devices and an extra TV not in use. The Blue-Ray has a smaller display and no clock, which I don't like either. So far I don't see that much difference on the 720 TV, but I only have the 3 BR discs.

fb

Storage is cool
I'm having that problem with my audio stuff at the moment. My two receivers and two stereo amps are all Onkyo, and all respond to the same volume/source commands. Not sure how I'm going to fix this one.
Use the control buttons on the front of the respective Onkyo? ;)

No, but seriously. I know almost nothing about receivers so this might be completely wrong. But the 808 seems to have the ability to control 3 zones. Isn't it possible to let it be the controller and letting the others just serve as amps? It should also be possible to disable the remote control commands on the other components.

By the way, doesn't the 808 support dnla, then you could probably install a media server on your computer and control everything with an iPhone/iPod/iPad or something like that.

ddrueding

Fixture
The 808 does support 3 zones, but I was going to use them as well. It also supports DNLA, but it is the only device I have that does. I suspect I'll be getting some kind of IR sending tool, tied in with my computer and the automated lighting system, that would be able to send commands to specific devices using an IR emitter.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
My PS3 has the lips, but even without, it shouldn't mess up playback. Perhaps you can tilt the thing by ~5 degrees?

The PS3 has an internal slot load drive. I don't know of any consumer BD player that has a tray load that can handle a vertical orientation. Samsung does make a wall mountable unit.

LunarMist

The 808 does support 3 zones, but I was going to use them as well. It also supports DNLA, but it is the only device I have that does. I suspect I'll be getting some kind of IR sending tool, tied in with my computer and the automated lighting system, that would be able to send commands to specific devices using an IR emitter.

There is nothing like simplicity. :bstd:

ddrueding

Fixture
I was going to have to go that route anyway, as the devices will be in an equipment closet, and half the time I'll be trying to control them from another room entirely.

LunarMist

Go with the Panasonic between those two. You will find many BD players also do a decent job upconverting DVDs.

If worried when watching 4:3 content, often the cable box let's you switch the black sidebars to gray, to avoid burn in.

I need to get the HD cable box before the TV.

LunarMist

Is the source input always supposed to be 1080i? I assume the TV performs an uprez or is it better for the source to do that from the HDMI?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Is the source input always supposed to be 1080i? I assume the TV performs an uprez or is it better for the source to do that from the HDMI?

What model tv? You mentioned 720p in another post. Ideally 1080p/i from BD or PC to 1080p panel, 24p playback enabled via HDMI for the movies.

LunarMist

The newest TV is the 116cm Samsung with 1080. There are so many inputs it is complicated. I removed all the old cables from the systems and used HDMI where possible. It think I have this right. The cable from the wall goes into a splitter with one side to the TV RF in and the other to the cable box. The HDMI out of the cable box goes to the TV and the A/V out to the DVD. The HDMI outputs from the DVD and Blue-Ray also go to the TV. The latter two are always 1080i regardless of the source; there does not appear to be any way to change it. The TV is all over the place. CBS and NBC are 1080, the other main HDs are 720, and many SD channels at 480. I have not looked up all the weird channels yet. The cable box has multiple options for the output, but I’m concentrating on 720 and 1080. 720 looks a little better. Maybe that is the natural resolution. I cannot determine if it is putting more burden on the TV set that may degrade the IQ in a way I can’t easily notice.

LunarMist

The 120KHz mode is pointless. Everything looks like high speed video or an engineering record. Why do they bother and advertise it as something special?

LunarMist

Thanks. I would be watching sport very infrequently if ever. In the US everyone is expected to watch the Stupor Bowl today. When I bought the TV the sales clerk commented on the delivery dates and how they are impacted by the demand for large screens in January. Just crazy.

ddrueding

Fixture
My wife and I walked downtown for lunch today (about 2 miles each way). When we got to our destination (burger joint), it was closed for the super bowl. Grr.

ddrueding

Fixture
So you got some exercise. Worse things could have happened... :bomb:

Not complaining about the walk, it is a beautiful day today (68F and sunny). We just ended up at the more expensive place next door ($40 instead of $12). And, of course, the Cold Stone Creamery on the way home ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Sounds like a nice day with nice weather. It was a little warmer here today and the sun was out. it was probably 35-40 F, so some of the huge snow and ice was melting. I spent 3 hours outside chopping ice and cleaning up the driveway and sidewalks and steps. It was good exercise. I also signed up at a local gym.

LunarMist

The mentality of the designers is bizarre. I don't know who came up with the settings and no way to copy or save them, the remote practically requires two hands for some common functions, and the P size wigs out in certain change sequences. IQ is very good though. Speaker sound is not too bad, but I'm using the audio out to the compressor and on to the cheap stereo with bookshelf speakers. That sound is fine for my purposes, but yet another remote is needed for the volume.

LunarMist

I would prefer a TV that made popcorn since I'm not a huge fan of nuts.

Are you eating the nuts, or feeding them to the squirrels?

I like nuts better as they don't interfere with my dental.

Handruin

Administrator
The mentality of the designers is bizarre. I don't know who came up with the settings and no way to copy or save them, the remote practically requires two hands for some common functions, and the P size wigs out in certain change sequences. IQ is very good though. Speaker sound is not too bad, but I'm using the audio out to the compressor and on to the cheap stereo with bookshelf speakers. That sound is fine for my purposes, but yet another remote is needed for the volume.

If you don't like multiple remotes, you could try a Logitech Harmony to setup activities which will control multiple components. I use one and it works will.

LunarMist

It looks like there is some software or online activity needed.