question Larger TVs

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I watch my 92" from about 140" away. At work my 42" screen is 36" away. At the moment my 24" screen is 24" away. It really depends on what you are doing I suppose.

Sure I view a 24" computer monitor at about 24", but I would not want to watch a movie at that distance. I'm not a dragonfly with super wide-angle vision. :grin:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
For movies I like as wide as possible yet without having to pan my head. Waiting on more 3D capable projectors.

Resolution of the source material is also key, normal NTSC SD looks pretty bad on a large screen.

LunarMist

I tested my eyeballs and TV sets until I could not stand it and have reached the conclusion that 1.6-1.8x is a reasonable distance. 2x results in a bit less than maximum resolution, but is low stress on the eyes. 1.5x is annoying for moving images and the the eyes may constantly be moving around on static images too (for example if two people are on opposite sides of the screen). Below 1.5x too much edge info is lost. It's like being in a movie and sitting too close to the screen. :flower:

LunarMist

The cable DVR does not fast forward beyond the present. It should be possible if there is enough bandwidth and that show is not live, but perhaps the technology is not there yet.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
The cable DVR does not fast forward beyond the present. It should be possible if there is enough bandwidth and that show is not live, but perhaps the technology is not there yet.

If you are watching an "onDemand" type channel, that is possible (ff/rewind on a streaming episode).

Would be handy for the Lotto numbers :)

LunarMist

If you are watching an "onDemand" type channel, that is possible (ff/rewind on a streaming episode).

Would be handy for the Lotto numbers :)

Well of course that would not be allowed. :colors:

LunarMist

What do you all use for cleaning the screens? Some filth has accumulated. I used two types of LCD/plasmatic cleaning kits, but they both leave the surface somewhat smeary. Can I use a stronger cleaner, maybe something with an alcohol?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Windex of the non drip variety I have used once or twice when I accidentally open a coke or something at the computer and it sprays.

LunarMist

Thanks. Normally I use that on the computers, but I thought that the TVs might be more sensitive.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Standard Windex contains ammonia and is absolutely NOT suitable for cleaning LCD screens. Once shouldn't kill it, but repeated applications introduce a slight cloudiness to the surface. Haven't you guys seen the results?

Windex makes a different formulation for plastics: Windex Electronics. Alternatively, a solution of ordinary hand dishwashing liquid should be ammonia-free and is considerably cheaper than Windex.

Dell advocates a standard 50% isopropyl alcohol solution - definitely NOT ethyl alcohol, acetic acid, etc.

I advocate distilled water on a microfiber cloth. I use a slightly coarser type of microfiber meant for car duco; it's like a tiny brush and removes everything I've had to deal with.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't spray anything directly onto the screen.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Water with a lint free cloth. What I can see from my classroom PCs is that pretty much everything that isn't water eventually leaves some kind of film on the screen, and none of them ever seem to come off once they're there.

ddrueding

Fixture
What I can see from my classroom PCs is that pretty much everything that isn't water eventually leaves some kind of film on the screen, and none of them ever seem to come off once they're there.

I've noticed that only when the screens where cleaned while still hot. Whatever liquid dries before it can be removed.

LunarMist

India? IPA is the common acronym for isopropyl alcohol, i.e., the aqueous isopropanol mentioned above.

LunarMist

Interesting. :idea: I thought it was a particular brand from India. I don't know anything about the beers in the US.

When I was stationed in Europe some years ago everyone was drinking beers, especially in Germany. It seemed like every city had its own beer and they were kind of strong. I recall having the Pilsen in Czechoslovakia. Northern Switzerland was much like Germany. Eastern France had some beers, but they got more "winey" moving west.

LunarMist

After all that I bought the wrong kind. :doh: I saw it right, but must have grabbed the wrong bottle at the last moment.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Money in hand, planning on ordering the Panasonic P50GT25 TV sometime this week from the panasonic EPP. I was going to wait but I don't think the price will drop anymore.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Mounted it over the fireplace. Looks nice.
It is plenty big and doesn't seem too far away.
We did switch to floor lamps to get rid of light reflections on the TV.

Interestingly, about a week after I received it they disappeared from just about everywhere. I guess there wasn't much stock left of last years to get rid of. About a day after they delivered it, they appeared on clearance at costco for cheaper than I bought it at (I spent 999, costco offered it at $879).

Took awhile to find a piece of furniture to put beside the fireplace to have the components in. Everything we found was either glass shelves or was very tall. We ended up finding an end table that would match a bit with the fireplace and look pretty good.

LunarMist

Over a fireplace is no place for a TV. :cursin:

Why? I've watched TVs over, in front of, and in fireplaces since the 1970s. My current TV is over and in front of the fireplace. The key factor is not to turn on the flames. :D

LunarMist

In? Really, in? You watched people you hate, imagining they were burning in Hell?

The arse end of the Sony 32" CRT TV was literally in a fireplace. That was a huge TV, nearly 200 lbs.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Standard Windex contains ammonia and is absolutely NOT suitable for cleaning LCD screens. Once shouldn't kill it, but repeated applications introduce a slight cloudiness to the surface. Haven't you guys seen the results?

Windex makes a different formulation for plastics: Windex Electronics. Alternatively, a solution of ordinary hand dishwashing liquid should be ammonia-free and is considerably cheaper than Windex.

Dell advocates a standard 50% isopropyl alcohol solution - definitely NOT ethyl alcohol, acetic acid, etc.

I advocate distilled water on a microfiber cloth. I use a slightly coarser type of microfiber meant for car duco; it's like a tiny brush and removes everything I've had to deal with.

It goes without saying that you shouldn't spray anything directly onto the screen.

Found something interesting at Walmart, a box of 50 individually packaged wipes (think KFC wet napkins style), Zeiss branded, isopropyl alcohol, works great on up to 4 pairs of glasses I find, or one 24" monitor. I love them because the 3D active shutter specs keep getting fingerprints from the boys, and I told them not to clean them themselves (don't want a cracked lens).