question Larger TVs

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why? I have the DVD recorder and the Blue-Ray player just on the one TV. It is enough. I have an extra DVD-R for the bathroom, but I don't think that is a good idea. :lol:

ddrueding

Fixture
Neither do I. Though I did just have the best vodka I've had in my entire life, and it was Japanese? I don't remember the name, but it was absolutely clean and super sharp.

LunarMist

Whoah, the Logictech Harmony was too expensive. I could buy another medium TV for that price. :roll:

LunarMist

That was an exaggeration, but the Logitech remote I saw was $300. :eek:

LunarMist

I got the cheap 8-way SOMY. It works with most devices, but some controls on the cable are odd or missing. :dunno: It was able to "learn" the volume up/down commands for the audio system, so mission is essentially accomplished. It's not a substitue fo rthe originals. At 3-4AM I will not easily find the right controls. :lol:

The other generic remote is now in the toilet, controlling the TV and cable box.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I got the cheap 8-way SOMY. It works with most devices, but some controls on the cable are odd or missing. :dunno: It was able to "learn" the volume up/down commands for the audio system, so mission is essentially accomplished. It's not a substitue fo rthe originals. At 3-4AM I will not easily find the right controls. :lol:

I have tried cheap Sony remotes before. There is a reason for their short warranties - the keys wear out quickly so the remote slowly becomes useless. In a low TV watching environment they will probably be fine but in a family where there is always someone watching TV they quickly become useless in need of replacement.

The other generic remote is now in the toilet, controlling the TV and cable box

Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle. I didn't know of any remotes that work under shit.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Bathroom: Room that contains a bath.

Also a euphemism for toilet to protect delicate American sensibilities. ;)

AFAIK, house plans here still label the "smallest room in the house" as "WC", short for the ancient term, "Water Closet". "Lavatory" would be the modern equivalent, although technically that has multiple meanings.

LunarMist

People laughed at me in continental Europe when I called the toitets a bathroom. :queen:

LunarMist

People laughed at me in continental Europe when I called the toilets a bathroom. :queen:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anybody used a bidet? I just don't see how it could be as effective as paper.

They're awesome. Seriously. Like a life-improving change. If I ever get another house I will have them.

Also very nifty: Cottonelle Pre-moistened wipes.

Call me a nut but I'm a fan of the clean ass.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Just take care of business before you take your daily shower and it pretty much takes care of itself. ;)

I do my porcelain cruises at about 9:30AM. I like that I'm earning money while I do it. Especially since I'm doing a very high fiber diet these days.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It all depends on the pressure, and I think people still wipe after. Never used one though. :scratch:

If you've ever mis-timed the business and showered first you know the tissue just doesn't hold up. I expect the bidet would be a part of a similar problem. I suppose a dedicated ass towel would help. :)

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Never used a bidet but I kind of assumed you washed with it like a mini shower?? I'm a fan of getting the dump out of the way before showering too. Have to love caffeine to force the issue.

Only forum I am aware of that can get this far OT.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Maybe I can post a bit more on topic.
I'm considering the 50" panasonic plasma TC-P50GT25. This is the 3D version of the G25 series. Not the newer TC25 series or the newly announced but not yet available VT30 series. It seems to get good reviews all around which is awesome.

However I went in to an HHgreg to view them to get an idea of the size and I found that their demos had burn-in. I could see the text of the demo mode while it was on a golf match. This gave me concerns over burn in. I had thought it was basically a non-issue. But now I'm more concerned. It wasn't the GT25 model, as they didn't have those, only the newer VT25 models. It was one of their non-3D models.

I'm considering the panasonic's because I have had good luck with them and they are rated high but most importantly, I can get them through their EPP program so it would be cheaper than amazon's price.

It will probably be mounted over the fireplace with the couch a good distance from there.

ddrueding

Fixture
Plasmas have burn-in issues. They just do. If you are cautious about it, you can avoid the issue. But if you fall asleep with the home shopping network or a DVD menu up, you are in trouble.

I would never buy one.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Which leads to the question, what would you buy instead that is less than a grand and 50" or larger and has good vertical viewing angles since we'll be looking up at the TV?

Handruin

Administrator
Plasmas have burn-in issues. They just do. If you are cautious about it, you can avoid the issue. But if you fall asleep with the home shopping network or a DVD menu up, you are in trouble.

I would never buy one.

I've done that before (fallen asleep to a DVD menu), I've never had any retention issues with my plasma. I'm sure if I left it for 15-20 hours I'd have an issue.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
What about a game menu? It would seem to me that those are as much an invitation to burn-in as a DVD menu.

I too wouldn't buy a plasma unless they were priced to be disposable i.e. a $1.00