Looming Silicon Wafer Shortage

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That is not much info. What percentage of the costs are the wafer, is the number of chips per wafer constant, does the density increase, etc.?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Does it really matter?

If manufacturer X wants to make a product, but has to pay more for the wafers, the product is going to cost more.

Stereodude

Not really a
That is not much info. What percentage of the costs are the wafer, is the number of chips per wafer constant, does the density increase, etc.?
That depends on the product and the die size. The wafer may make up the a sizable cost on a low end Intel processor, but not much on a high end one even if the die is larger on the high end chip.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
As a flow on effect, what will happen to the price of these IoT devices and things like Smart TV's, etc? I don't see most people being effected on the PC/tablet side of things (due to the slow replacement rate), but more of the everyday appliances that all seem to want to have some "smarts" about them. (Just about everything sold these days has some sort of SoC/Processor in it - even basic kids toys and some adult toys as well). ;)

Or will we see a trend reversal of more "dumb" appliances entering the market again (as a way to keep appliance costs low), eg mainly for washing machines, dishwashers, TVs, etc...

LunarMist

That depends on the product and the die size. The wafer may make up the a sizable cost on a low end Intel processor, but not much on a high end one even if the die is larger on the high end chip.

So the NANDs and DDRs will increase but the CoffeLakes and X CPUs not so much?

Stereodude

Not really a
Maybe. My point was more that the wafer cost might be significant portion of the price on a $100 Celeron, but not on a $2k Xeon.

LunarMist

So it will be 6AM on Christmas. No sleep for 40 hours? Even Santa needs a break.:santa: