LSI WarpDrive

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Well, I'm not getting one either. The 800/5.6 IS is about the same price. :mad::

ddrueding

Fixture
That is just four StoneForce drives on a RAID 0 controller, or does it have something else special?

The thing I really like about it? No cables, no configuration. Plug it in, and go. I've also had trouble finding a RAID0 config on a RAID card that would match the performance of these out of the box. I don't doubt that it's possible, but if that is your intent, just buy one of these.

LunarMist

480GB is somewhat useless for me. It's not really enough for a usable block of data but unnecessarily large for a C: drive.

LunarMist

10GB is plenty for my C: partition for now. Most of my apps are 3-8 years old. Even with a clean Win 7 installation and a few new apps I doubt it would exceed 20GB or so. The price vs. capacity for that RAID SSD system is not exactly linear at the moment. 240 and 480 GB models are the best value.

Stereodude

Not really a
I doubt you'd perceive much differences between most SSD's and a series of RAID'd SSDs like the Revo2 or this LSI running as an OS drive.

LunarMist

I know I won't. There is little to gain over 2x Sandstorm RAID 0, which is not much faster than the old X25-E. Still, the convenience of popping a card in a PCIe slot is tempting. :) I wonder if it delays boot time.

ddrueding

Fixture
I know I won't. There is little to gain over 2x Sandstorm RAID 0, which is not much faster than the old X25-E. Still, the convenience of popping a card in a PCIe slot is tempting. :) I wonder if it delays boot time.

I'm sure you've stuck in a normal RAID card, so are familiar with the normal delay. This is shorter than most, well under a second, but it is there.

LunarMist

I assume the price is for the enterprise market. Which would you have running your business, that LSI unit or some OCZ POS?

LunarMist

Random 4K writes look prteey good. I think another part is that it is designed for long lifetime with the >25% of extra space and SLC. The question is what would another alternative cost, i.e., hard drives or RAM or