Marvell introduces new SSD controller

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Few performance claims are made about the new controller, but it's supposed to be capable of hitting ~500MB/s with sequential writes "even at dirty drive conditions," which we'd presume to be a used state. Marvell also boasts of "maximum sequential read performance for a SATA 6G device," suggesting that read rates bump up against the practical limits of the 6Gbps Serial ATA interface. The controller's performance should also be aided by its support for up to 1GB of DDR3 cache memory.
That should be interesting. Products based on it should arrive in a few months I guess.

News source

Press release

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess I should now wait for an upgrade, if only for inevitable the price drops.

When is the next round on the memory chips due?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Isn't it already worse than 2,000 cycles? the previous generation was only 3,500 (unless the same chips are in an Intel drive, in which case they magically improve to 5,000 cycles :p ).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't like this Quick Post crap. :oops: You can disregard that post because it was only a draft while I checked the numbers. I think Micron managed to improve from 3,000 to 5,000, ultimately making Intel's specs correct. I was thinking of 3-bit MLC, where cycles are said to be as low as 1,000. Does anyone know if that's what OCZ uses in the Petrol to keep the price so low?

Stereodude

Not really a
Does anyone know if that's what OCZ uses in the Petrol to keep the price so low?
I thought OCZ relied on having no RMA, customer service, or quality departments and using their customers as beta testers to keep prices so low.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't like this Quick Post crap. :oops: You can disregard that post because it was only a draft while I checked the numbers.

I know it's different now, but if you double click the "Reply" or "Reply With Quote", it'll act like the previous version of the forum.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought OCZ relied on having no RMA, customer service, or quality departments and using their customers as beta testers to keep prices so low.

:rofl: Yeah that's it! :rofl:

I bought one of their POS drives. Never again.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I know it's different now, but if you double click the "Reply" or "Reply With Quote", it'll act like the previous version of the forum.

The double-clic only works for the "Reply with Quote" for me. No matter how fast I double-clic on "Reply", it only sends me to the bottom of the page for a quick reply. I don't mind since that's how I wrote most of my posts since the forum upgrade.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The double-clic only works for the "Reply with Quote" for me. No matter how fast I double-clic on "Reply", it only sends me to the bottom of the page for a quick reply. I don't mind since that's how I wrote most of my posts since the forum upgrade.

Odd, for me it will pop a quick reply window in the middle of the thread if I do a single click. Then click again and it will go to the advanced page. New forum here has a lot of features, it just leapfrogged some other forums I go to.

Handruin

Administrator

I tried it again with just the "Reply" button (double clicked) and it opened the advanced window for replying. What browser are you using? I only checked on Firefox.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't like this Quick Post crap. :oops: You can disregard that post because it was only a draft while I checked the numbers. I think Micron managed to improve from 3,000 to 5,000, ultimately making Intel's specs correct. I was thinking of 3-bit MLC, where cycles are said to be as low as 1,000. Does anyone know if that's what OCZ uses in the Petrol to keep the price so low?

I don't know how many cycles are useful for, but I assume they will be worse in the future.