Mech keyboards

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
I used to have dainty little hands up until I turned about 16 and then they started growing out instead of long. There are computer cases I legitimately can't fit them in now. It sucks. I palm-grip a Pro Intellimouse (Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 mold with modern internals) and it almost feels too small sometimes.

I apparently told you wrong anyway -- Navy's 75g, Jade is 65g. I looked it up. It's the tactile force on the Navy that's 95g. They have a meatier clickbar than the Jades, which only have a 75g tactile force.

Not only did I type just fine on that board, I bottom out every single key even still. I'd probably need something like 95-110g to make it so I actually use them properly.

When I get those BWK switches I need to do the tape mod to my K4 Pro but I don't have any foam to stick in the cavity. I suppose I'll have to see how I like it and make a decision then.

Last edited:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Anyone have specs on the Unicomp/IBM buckling spring switches?
How do they compare to the above mentioned switches?
trying to figure out how they compare to the above clicky switches.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Went back to my model M from the Cherry Reds. The Donuts made bad worse.
When you can barely feel the keys, having very light keys leads to a lot of mistakes, like hitting 3 and 4 key.
What switches are closest to buckling spring, but a little smoother?

fb

Storage is cool
I have no idea about switches, I think I use Varmilo EC Sakura switches but they are also a bit on the light side. Quite similar to Cherry Reds.

The New Model M looks really interesting, hope you'll write a report later on.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I will. MY CTS is along far enough so a lot of the time, I can't feel the end of my fingers. Left hand is the worst.
With Cherry Reds, I catch a lot of 3 and 4 keys by accident. Much less so with Buckling springs.
With Cherry Reds, typing practice, or typing becomes flat out frustrating.
I do get key hits that are too light on the MM, but these don't show up, so you can go back and hit the key harder.
Mine is a pretty specific, and medical condition.
Not for everyone.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought you were getting surgery this summer after they had ruled out neuropathy. Maybe that was somebody else.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
MY CTS is along far enough so a lot of the time, I can't feel the end of my fingers. Left hand is the worst.
It gets worse from there. I can't feel my hands at all after I'm riding for about 15-20 minutes. My feet go numb also, which means the CTS spread there. Hopefully you'll respond to treatment better than my mother and sister did. For both, it helped for a while but then it came back. Really, I've found the only long-term solution is to just limit any activities which aggravate it. For me any pushing down motion, like scrubbing floors, makes it worse. Typing doesn't seem to have a major effect, but then again I don't type much. At most I do the equivalent of a few pages in a day.

I still blame my grade school teachers for this. All those times they made the entire class write "I must not talk in class." 1,000 times whenever a few kids talked took its toll on me. I wish we had class action lawsuits for stuff like this.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My EKG is a little weird, prior to the first surgery.
Last time that meant heart surgery, and a stint put in.
If that happens again, it will be at least another year before the CTS surgery, since I will be on blood thinners after the heart surgery, for a year.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It gets worse from there. I can't feel my hands at all after I'm riding for about 15-20 minutes. My feet go numb also, which means the CTS spread there. Hopefully you'll respond to treatment better than my mother and sister did. For both, it helped for a while but then it came back. Really, I've found the only long-term solution is to just limit any activities which aggravate it. For me any pushing down motion, like scrubbing floors, makes it worse. Typing doesn't seem to have a major effect, but then again I don't type much. At most I do the equivalent of a few pages in a day.

I still blame my grade school teachers for this. All those times they made the entire class write "I must not talk in class." 1,000 times whenever a few kids talked took its toll on me. I wish we had class action lawsuits for stuff like this.
Apparently the guy that did the analysis said it depends when you catch the CTS, and have the operation makes a difference in the effectiveness of the operation. The longer you wait, the more of a chance the surgery is less effective.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Apparently the guy that did the analysis said it depends when you catch the CTS, and have the operation makes a difference in the effectiveness of the operation. The longer you wait, the more of a chance the surgery is less effective.
That's what happened to both my mother and sister. In my mother's case a lot of the nerves were dead by the time she got treatment.

I've had this since my late 20s at least but I never had medical insurance. I never even had a proper diagnosis, never mind treatment. I'm 3 years and less than 4 months away from Medicare, so I'll try to see what's going on then. In the meantime, I'll just do what I always did, namely limit my activity.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Finally got the duck tape out and fixed the feet on the old model M in the up position.
New model M came in today. Keys feel the same.
I do wish they would make it with lit keys,
but, that's not the case.
If I can stay out of the docs office, I'll take the donuts off the Corsair.
I do wonder how long it takes for a Model M, or new model M, to actually have keys that feel broken in.
10 or 20 years????
So I guess I would like a new Model M, but with lit keys.
I can at least, feel the keys, and type, with semi-numb fingers...
Did pre opp today, and if the kidney tests come back correct, looks like a go.
Have a meeting with a heart surgeon next week, to get clearance...
Want to thank JTR1962 for his mother and sisters experience.
I'm hoping I don't need another stint, and can get the wrists done prior to serious damag3.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

i'M REALLY SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO YOU....;-(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie

I think I'm going to give these a try:​

Pro Heavy Navy Switch​

TypeClicky
Operation Force70±20 gf
Pre-travel1.2±0.5 mm
Tactile Force-
Total Travel3.5±0.4 mm
Sound LevelLoud
Operation LifeUp to 50M cycles
Suitable ForTypist
Kailh Speed Pro Heavy Navy Switch Force Travel Diagram

Which Keychron board would work? I like backlit, and can do without the number pad, but have large hands, and fingers.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Been looking at Keychrons. None of the heavy Pro Navy style keys are in stock.
Thanks, they are saving me lots of money.

Handruin

Administrator
Take a look at NuPhy. I bought their gem80 a while back and made a custom setup with it and I love it a lot more than my Keychron Q3.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
first left wrist was done thursday. recovery seems fast. hr 70.
day of surgery in the 30-40 range
bp 127 over 57, trying to figure that out, why?