Mirrorless Cameras (MILC) and Lenses

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Of course, but why should they? Since the 1970s I've spent tons of money on gear that is often not up to par, including Nikon, Canon, Contax, Fuji, Olympus, and S*ny. I never used Pentax (well a 645 for only one weekend) or Minolta. I actually had no problems with Mamiya 6x7 gear, though it was quite limited.

To put it simply I feel about Canon 1.6x cropped gear the way you feel about WD hard drives. That's all.

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
You're going to preorder the R5ii regardless.

My partner made over $400 in cash/venmo/cashapp in a couple hours this afternoon by shooting with my 120 - 300, editing on her tablet and printing glossy 4x6s off a Canon Selphy at a dog park / playground today. As a middle aged man, there's no way I can walk up to people and ask to take pictures of dogs or kids for money but she just paid for our hotel the on our next weekend trip. I'm not exactly mad about it but I can't say I'm not jealous. She also has a weird combination of jobs that add up to an income but they idea that she can just go stand around with a camera someplace and know that money will appear is kind of crazy.

LunarMist

I was thinking of two R5 IIs, one R5 and one R7 for September as the environment is risky to gear and cost is very high. If not available, I'll only get one. Sometimes only 2-3 bodies is fine. For example, if cost is high, but risk is low, then I'd choose three bodies. If cost is low and risk is low then two bodies are usually fine, such as for landscapes. We don't know yet if the R5 II will be any better than the R5 at ISO 100 where ECFS is normally used.

The R5 is pretty good on birds, but sucky on mammals. Several of the controls and modes of the R5 are archaic compared to even the cheaper new bodies. There is also the stupidity of the new flash shoe, which makes the R5 shoe unusable in the future. It's better to have multiples of the same model so that you pick up one and it is the same as the other. Ideally you don't want one model body on a 500 or 600/4 and another on the 100-500 for example as it's easier to miss something. I've used multiple same bodies such as the 1Ds II, 1Ds III, 5D III, 1Dx, etc. There were several years when I used the 5D IV and 5DsR together, but often with a replicate of one or the other as a third body. In recent years I've done crazy stuff like using an R5 w/100-500 and an a7r5 with 200-600 together, but it's quite a pain.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Since LM hasn't shown up: The R5ii and R1 were announced today. The R5ii looks like it has had most of the nifty features of the R3 back-ported to it, like eye controlled autofocus, and it has a nifty AF mode to follow the ball for sports shooting. They've also added a face priority mode, so you can tune the autofocus to pick people out in crowd shots. You can even prioritize up to 10 people. It's the top of the line for Canon high-resolution sensors, but it's also $4,000 MSRP.

The R1 has less than half the resolution of the R5 and in a lot of ways seems like it's an R3ii. Canon is very much tuned in to what sports photographers want, and this camera is definitely doing them as many favors as it can. It has faster readout of the sensor and that's neat and all, but it looks to me like the R5ii is the better all rounder device.

I hope that those new AF tricks show up in the R6iii.

LunarMist

It is $4300. So two, plus all new batteries and tax is around 9,500. That's too much without some better lenses and a higher res body also.