Mirrorless Cameras (MILC) and Lenses

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
There's a switch in mentality toward wanting to take the photos that create personal personal satisfaction and the commitment to having something on hand to take those photos vs. using the object of convenience. So many people are just going to take that path of least resistance.

I have a collection of very attractive young women who like and want me to take the photos I take and I have access to photograph events on occasions where most people would not be allowed a camera, so I usually have at least one of my camera bodies on hand, even if it's just a crappy old Lumix GF2 or my Akaso Brave 6. Once I decided I'm going to keep at least something on my person most of the time, I literally forget that my phone is also a camera.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There's a switch in mentality toward wanting to take the photos that create personal personal satisfaction and the commitment to having something on hand to take those photos vs. using the object of convenience. So many people are just going to take that path of least resistance.

I have a collection of very attractive young women who like and want me to take the photos I take and I have access to photograph events on occasions where most people would not be allowed a camera, so I usually have at least one of my camera bodies on hand, even if it's just a crappy old Lumix GF2 or my Akaso Brave 6. Once I decided I'm going to keep at least something on my person most of the time, I literally forget that my phone is also a camera.
What is the business model or is it TFP equivalent in modern era?

Last edited:

LunarMist

The R5 has some defect with seeing and focusing well on eyes with highly red body. AF consistently sucks well beyond random chance compared to similar subjects in other colors or neutrals. :(

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
What is the business model or is it TFP equivalent in modern era?

Some people pay me and some people don't. I've sat down and taught people lighting and photo processing (please shoot in raw. Yes, even on your phone). Also, digital marketing, storage organization and even just an explanation for how to use the most relevant platforms for the kind of content on offer. It's harder than it sounds, especially for people who are mobile device natives.

Lessons cost money. My rule with photography is that the bare minimum is that it shouldn't cost ME anything, but I know someone who lets me use their small empire of unoccupied AirBNBs, which helps a lot, but if someone is trying to get started and has nothing to offer, I will do it just for fun. That usually means they have to let me screw around with lighting setups for a while.

Sometimes I'll do a flat-out boudoir session. I charge for those since the expected outcome is usually prints and there is a material cost to that.

Finally, I charge for videography and video editing, because that's never an auto-pilot task. It's one thing to point a camera at someone but it's very different to color grade across multiple cameras and to have the right mics and lighting for the task at hand. The people willing to pay are absolutely making a living from those videos and also realize what a massive PITA editing can be. Two people are giving me several hundred dollars a month each for my help in that area, which definitely feeds my giant hard drive addiction.

ddrueding

Fixture
One of my clients is a starting YouTuber. Managing their social media has been fun. We collaborate on her talking points and scripts, review and manage viewer engagement. They shoot the video and I do all the editing, production, uploading etc. 3x 20 minute videos and 4x shorts per week. Currently gaining 500 subscribers a week. It is quite lucrative.

LunarMist

The IQ requirements for U-Tubes are rather limited and there are plenty of cameras for that purpose.
I'm sure that the Google is making billions from it, though I don't watch the programs normally.

LunarMist

Some people pay me and some people don't. I've sat down and taught people lighting and photo processing (please shoot in raw. Yes, even on your phone). Also, digital marketing, storage organization and even just an explanation for how to use the most relevant platforms for the kind of content on offer. It's harder than it sounds, especially for people who are mobile device natives.

Lessons cost money. My rule with photography is that the bare minimum is that it shouldn't cost ME anything, but I know someone who lets me use their small empire of unoccupied AirBNBs, which helps a lot, but if someone is trying to get started and has nothing to offer, I will do it just for fun. That usually means they have to let me screw around with lighting setups for a while.

Sometimes I'll do a flat-out boudoir session. I charge for those since the expected outcome is usually prints and there is a material cost to that.

Finally, I charge for videography and video editing, because that's never an auto-pilot task. It's one thing to point a camera at someone but it's very different to color grade across multiple cameras and to have the right mics and lighting for the task at hand. The people willing to pay are absolutely making a living from those videos and also realize what a massive PITA editing can be. Two people are giving me several hundred dollars a month each for my help in that area, which definitely feeds my giant hard drive addiction.
But who is buying the videos and what are they for? I'm assuming it is some kind of advertising or vanity projects, not documentaries, and I never hear you talk avout scripted programs.

How long do you keep the videos after production? Keep it to one year per contract and then free up a lot of hard drive space. Or if they want longer, then make them pay more.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
My friends take off their clothes for money, Lunar. I've had an association with a strip club that was technically one of my first jobs, and that trust has held and been applied to years of people who have worked there since. My dearest friends now are or were dancers. Some of them have other adults-only occupations as well.

There are services that match the supply to the demand in this area; Onlyfans, Fansly, Manyvids et al. During the Pandemic I was making almost as much helping them as I was from my salaried job. I do more traditional photography work as well, so maternity and engagement pictures and even graduations are also fairly common, but as with so many things, prurient is profitable. Except weddings, but weddings are the literal worst thing.

I do have a contract for work and for terms. It basically says that the person or people who pay me for work have ownership of any output I create on their behalf, but that I reserve the rights to store, keep and exhibit for no profit in a private setting (e.g. to show samples of my work to others) anything that was produced with my equipment.

Storage isn't really an issue for me. I can always bring more drives online. I actually operate an OwnCloud for anyone who cares to use it. I found out that keeping lots of media content on 250GB Macbooks or 128GB phones often means losing access to data for people who aren't ever really taught what files are, which is apparently most people under about age 30 at this point. I have an account expiration set, so they have to log in once every six months. Even then, I don't delete their stuff. They just can't sign in until I reset their password.

And, uh, yes, sometimes I make things that do involve a script. The word "stepsister" gets used a lot in those.

Handruin

Administrator
The IQ requirements for U-Tubes are rather limited and there are plenty of cameras for that purpose.
I'm sure that the Google is making billions from it, though I don't watch the programs normally.
YouTube Q4 2022 was $7.96B in revenue