Mobile Networks

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
... and of course tomorrow Verizon, ever the master of finding new ways to charge people for crap, will start shaking down existing customers for an extra $30 every time they actually do upgrade their current phone and sign a new service contract; there's no longer going to be a "free" phone upgrade from there.

I suspect Virgin mobile would be a lot more popular if they just had a couple nicer phones available. $35 for "unlimited" data and SMS + 300 minutes is a pretty decent deal, especially without a service contract.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I thought it was $35 for phone activation at verizon, they charge activation even if you bring a handset. This is one of the things I just don't like about CDMA, no SIM card to move so you have to contact them so of course they will make you pay. Also if it is a CDMA from another network they don't allow that at all.

I'm switching to Straight Talk. $45/mo for unlimited everything but rumors say they cut you for abuse significantly over about 100MB/day or 2GB/mo and the terms specifically say no streaming audio/video or tethering.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I was thinking that Apple was merely getting their arms twisted by AT&T when they showed 4G on all the iPhone 4S's. But now it looks like they bought the hype and are ready to defend it. Unfortunately the way the standards are written they will probably win.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So it works on only one carrier? I'm not seeing the wonder.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sprint (which I am stuck with) has a mess of a network; three different technologies for high speed internet alone. Up to now you've needed different products to get on the different parts of their network. This will let me get on all of them and better map the connection options for some of my users.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Right, that was my concern but that thing sounds like it's going to make a pretty good try to make the best of it.

LunarMist

FFS, why isn't there one standard for all carriers? It's not like you have to buy a different TV for NBC compared to ABC or CBS.

LunarMist

Well, most of the population has not MasterCard the metric system.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have no fucking clue why we don't get our act together and switch to the metric system.

Handruin

Administrator
You don't see value in universal acceptance of a standard system of measurement that can be derived from fundamental, observable principles?

Sure, that's what I'm using now. I just don't want to change.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You do realize that inches, feet and miles haven't had their own standard measure for more than 50 years? They are actually defined in terms of metric units. :)

SI has advantages in everyday life, not just in science and engineering:

* How heavy is a 9 liter bucket of water? 9 kg
* How many buckets do I need to fill one cubic meter? 111 (1 m³ = 1000 L)
* How many 40 cm lengths can I cut from a 3 m length of timber? 7
* If my A/C flows 100 liters/second, how many air changes an hour will I see in a room 4 x 3 x 2.4 meters? 32

Easy peasy. ;)

Hanging on to imperial units because you're comfortable with them is exactly the same as hanging on to pounds, shillings and pence.

Handruin

Administrator
I honestly didn't care. I'm just too lazy to bother learning a new unit of measurement.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree, 1°C is too coarse, but I also think that the decades in °F map out better to human comfort, eg >100 intolerably hot, 90-99 hot, 80-89 warm, 70-79 comfortable, 60-69 cool, 50-59 cold, 40-49 colder, 30-39 freezing, 20-29 below freezing, 10-19 bloody freezing, 0-9 CougTek comfort zone.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Everyone who uses Verizon knows that they're paying extra for the assrape and that Verizon is neither gentle nor considerate about it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Everyone was looking for a savings in moving to shared data and we get this. You know AT&T will follow suit as well.

Handruin

Administrator
Everyone was looking for a savings in moving to shared data and we get this. You know AT&T will follow suit as well.

That'll stink. Once AT&T follows Verizon, it'll leave only the other two crappy mobile providers of Sprint and T-Mobile. Neither of which I'd consider due to lousy service.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm pretty sure I'll just stick with my no texting / no data VZW plan that gives me 700 minutes a month between 3 phones and costs under $80 out of pocket every month.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm pretty sure I'll just stick with my no texting / no data VZW plan that gives me 700 minutes a month between 3 phones and costs under $80 out of pocket every month.

I guess coming from that it's no big deal because you pay 90 for unlimited calling and texting for those three phones now. That's all I read it anyway with no data.

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess coming from that it's no big deal because you pay 90 for unlimited calling and texting for those three phones now. That's all I read it anyway with no data.
As I read it, the new plan is $100 for 3 lines with no texting or data.

LunarMist

Plans are very confusing. I suppose they change for that reason.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
AT&T to Face Net Neutrality Complaint Regarding FaceTime Over Cellular Limitation

I think they might be in trouble given that all the other carriers said no problem you can do this, don't think they would do that if they thought they could charge for it and get away with it. I also don't understand the installed application reason given, like they are laying claim to the built in apps like they try to charge you for carrier crapware on android.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/18...-regarding-facetime-over-cellular-limitation/