Mobile Networks

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
All Verizon LTE phones must be unlocked now?

Mikey’s post went to point out the this was defined in the Title 47, Part 27, Subpart B, Section 27.16 of the Code of Federal Regulations. In a nutshell, for devices that operate in the 700 MHz C block—which Verizon paid $9.4 billion dollars in 2008 for a license to use for their new LTE network—the following paragraph applies:

(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.

http://duncandavidson.com/blog/2012/09/verizon_iphone5_unlocked

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Really? Was that more rules built into the 700MHz C block? I don't remember if that was free on my ipad or not, never actually used it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I didn't realize it until now but google voice doesn't support short codes. Some work but it seems they have to work on one at a time or with affiliates to get them working. Anyway lifelock doesn't work.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Why? In the US most carriers prefer to sell their designated phones.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't see Verizon or Sprint changing their radio technology just because Google doesn't like it, either.