Most stupid waste of $700 I ever saw

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Read this thread and weep. I knew the level of technical expertise (and common sense) on SR was sinking, but this takes the cake. This guy spent $700 upgrading a Pentium Pro system, including $410 on RAM. :clown: :rofl: :clown: If this isn't the dumbest thing I've yet seen someone do, then I don't know what is.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Oh my god said:
I believe I may finally be pushing the limits of my system's hardware

Not to mention ECC RAM providing better memory bandwidth!

Or ....

Nope. Too many "or"s to pick out just one or two.

I see that Honold is right on the money. Let his reply stand for mine as well.

Now for the $64 question. Is this guy for real? Or is he one of Flagreen's aliases stretching things out to see just how much stupidity people will take before they stop believing that a poster really can be as moronic as he pretends to be?

If it's you, Bill, thankyou: that was the best belly laugh I've had all week!

If not - and I fear it is not - .... well, what can I say?

WTF? It's his money and he's entitled to spend it any way he wants to. Hell, he could drop $700 on a horse race or a game of poker and no-one would even stop to think about it. Or take his year-end bonus down to the local watering hole, have a couple more scotches than was good for him, wind up shouting the whole bar and drop $700 that way. Guys who work on oil rigs and mines do that all the time and no-one cares.

This way, he's not only avoided the headache and the parrot-cage mouth syndrome, he's even got a computer that performs basic tasks reasonably well and can probably surf the web almost as competently as the $200 K6-2/500s and Celeron 633s that many of my more elderly customers still run.

I say good luck to him.

(Are you sure it isn't you Flagreen?)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
:excl: OMFG! Speaking of trolls, Trinton is back. :eek: I wonder if he finally developed the replacement for MS, not to mention his famous satellite system. :wink:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is getting worse. TA is up to his old delusions. Maybe TA and the GHz are alter egos?

Must refrain from posting at SR. Must refrain. :x

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
BTW, who was the Trinton mockery back then (Triton Assamouth). I'm sure he's here. PM me if it's still a matter of national security.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
what's not not funny is that Gigger Hertz/Mahx Maccotry is a serial troll. having the same suspisions as honold, I thought I'd see what I could dig up and lo and behold, he is indeed a troll and long time troller at that. he is best known as Trollaxor.

the proof: http://trollaxor.com

this loser has been at it for ages as you will see in his archive section. one example being http://www.trollaxor.com/text/openbsd.html with the victim site being: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/12/15/21623/511

it takes a little time to find some of the other victim sites but they are there and provide further proof that Trollaxor is a sad individual indeed.

unfortunately it seems he's got quite a following and is refernced on some peoples blogs as being funny and creative. he's quite well known for it too. see: http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/Slashdot and http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geekizoid.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I think TrintonAzaleth in that thread may by another of Gigger Hertz/trollaxer's alter egos. Check out this SR profile, apparently of the real Trinton Azaleth.

Good detective work, Jake. Now that's he's found out, it should be interesting to see what happens.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
yes, I've PM'd both Eugene and Davin.

I was going to reverse-troll Gigger Hertz and although I'm a little ashamed to admit it, I did think about PM'ing everyone in the thread see if they would reverse-troll with me. gladly though, but I couldn't quite bring myself to stoop that low. as well, it surely wouldn't be fair to the other readers.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
jtr1962 said:
I think TrintonAzaleth in that thread may by another of Gigger Hertz/trollaxer's alter egos. Check out this SR profile, apparently of the real Trinton Azaleth.

there's certainly a plausible link between the two jtr1962. TA has a few URL's on his page (like X-box hacking) that Trollaxor has spent some time trolling for. by itself it might only be a co-incidence however writings by TA on his page share similarities to Trollaxor's, particularly the 'creative writings' which have similar styles on similar topics.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
IP address: 65.68.42.9
Host name: trollaxor.com

Alias:
adsl-65-68-42-9.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net

Grant Hayes
4800 Kaw Drive
Kansas City, Kansas 66102-4165
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: TROLLAXOR.COM
Created on: 23-Jan-02
Expires on: 23-Jan-06
Last Updated on: 04-Dec-03

Administrative Contact:
Hayes, Grant webmaster@trollaxor.com
4800 Kaw Drive
United States
913-287-2711 Fax --
Technical Contact:
Hayes, Grant webmaster@trollaxor.com
4800 Kaw Drive
United States
913-287-2711 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
NS7.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS12.ZONEEDIT.COM
NS13.ZONEEDIT.COM

There are several listings for a G. Hayes in the whitepages, but no grant hayes.
A reverse phone number lookup shows that that phone number belongs to Forest View Recycling.. the address matches the phone number.

Here's a map

Maybe he works there... maybe it's just a fake address/name....

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
I checked this as well but didn't think it was appropriate to post such details.

I'm quite positive it is him. Trollaxor has on quite a few occasions trolled a discusion about Kansas City and has openly made references to him living there.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I have to wonder why this troll thing ever got this far... If you don't feed them, they will go away. Yet, I see post after post -- some thoughtfully crafted and some where people are actually getting upset -- of replies to GHz & TA.

Don't feed the trolls. How many times do I need to say it? Will people ever learn? Sigh... :(

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Jake the Dog said:

I was going to reverse-troll Gigger Hertz and although I'm a little ashamed to admit it, I did think about PM'ing everyone in the thread see if they would reverse-troll with me. gladly though, but I couldn't quite bring myself to stoop that low. as well, it surely wouldn't be fair to the other readers.

Looks like the message that you had left for him got lost with the OS update problems Jake. Also looks like GH has come back for more fun.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
CityK said:
Jake the Dog said:

Looks like the message that you had left for him got lost with the OS update problems Jake. Also looks like GH has come back for more fun.

yeah I saw :( I sent Eugene, Davin and honold a PM as soon as I discovered it. if they choose to leave him there then it's a disspoaintement and I won't be going back (again)...

saphelia

What is this storage?
I can certify that any Trinton Azaleth now speaking on the boards is not the original one. That particular individual actually did register a new account on the forums and continued chatting without making a big deal of things. The people who make trouble now are merely trolls...

I can say these things because TA happens to be my friend and I look for information related to him sometimes when I am bored.

By the way... I've run Panther on a G3-350. It runs just fine with 500 mb of memory.