Motherboards with mSATA connectors

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That would slow down a computer with good SSD drive. :) I wonder how long that cheap Intel drive will hold out.

ddrueding

Fixture
That Intel drive is SLC, so you would think it to be fairly durable. It better be performing that kind of task. I wonder if mSATA is SATA 3.0 compatible? If larger drives are available? It makes perfect sense for SSDs to mount directly to the board.

ddrueding

Fixture
For very small form factors or industrial installations where drives and cables aren't an option. Or, my favorite, the wall mounted computer. Combined with a PicoPSU would make simply screwing the motherboard to the underside of the desk feasible.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
It seems to me that you don't need a special connector to do that. Just some sort of riser.

ddrueding

Fixture
Integrating the power and data into the connector allows you to have a cable-free install. If someone were to include a female SATA power and data plug directly on the motherboard, that would work too.

ddrueding

Fixture
Honestly, sign me up. But no-one seems to be doing that. For one, they wouldn't be able to charge a premium for the added functionality, and that just won't do.