MTRON MSP 7000 SSD Review @ AnandTech

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Prices are kind of high still. I hope to have one of these sometime in 2008. I thought I would have bought one by the end of 2007, but the prices haven't dropped as fast as I hoped.

ddrueding

Fixture
One would have happened for me already, but the tech is still moving so fast; it's hard to step in and take that kind of depreciation in the face.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
One would have happened for me already, but the tech is still moving so fast; it's hard to step in and take that kind of depreciation in the face.

Nature of the game, compare the dramatic price drops in RAM between 1995 & 1999 and you'd feel worse if you *had* to buy thousands of dollars of higher capacity RAM in 1995 only to see even greater capacity and much lower costs for that greater capacity only 4 years later.

I find Tom's Hard has a better take on the Mitron (though they tested the MSD line of 'consumer' 32GB, as compared to Pro line, or other consumer 'Mobi' line which costs much less, but is listed as same performance as the MSD line???). But I wonder where TH gets their estimate of $300 or less for 64GB mid'2008? And where will Samsung's newly announced (but not available anytime soon) 64GB 120/100 R/W SSD come into play, at what price?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/11/21/mtron_ssd_32_gb/page3.html

Dvnation has a more extensive listing of these drives.

http://www.dvnation.com/nand-flash-ssd.html

Another thing not noted is what gen of tech these are based on, current 50nm process I would guess. When 40nm later next year, and 32nm in 2009 or later hit the market, I'll bet we'll see SSD's pull so far ahead of mechanical hard disks, they (mech HDs) will stop being used in most performance applications...as prices of SSD's drop.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. I do suspect that we are on the cusp of mass-adoption for performance applications. As soon as that happens, the prices will fall significantly.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So it is finally almost as fast as the I-RAM? How long will it be before sustained writes are in the mid-100 range?