My new build for basic home users

ddrueding

Fixture
It isn't as non-standard as you might think. It takes standard mini-ITX motherboards (with standard backplates), standard laptop opticals, standard 2.5" HDDs, and will run either the power supply that is in it, or a picoPSU. Even the headers for the front USB are standard. I haven't seen a better case in this form factor yet.

ddrueding

Fixture
I do have a Linux question though. After installing jre6 from Synaptic, x starts but without any menu bars. I get the desktop and a mouse, but no menu at all. Help?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
An Atom, even a dual core one, is sluggish. IMO, you would be better with an Athlon X2 7750 or a Pentium Dual Core E5200, the two current best values in the low-end segment (at least here). I'm sure there are mini-iTX motherboards with an AM2+ or LGA775 socket.

ddrueding

Fixture
These systems are plenty fast for their purpose, not to mention practically silent and very energy efficient (hint, turn the fan from "very low" to "low and it runs cool as well).

I think the Atom is getting a bad rap because of the systems it is going into. This rig boots very quickly and is responsive in firefox. It can't do HD video, but it does great on youtube and hulu.

ddrueding

Fixture
The problem with an ATX power supply is it is quite literally the same size (and weight) as this entire machine. It's not like you or I don't have at least one spare of everything we use sitting around...