My new system

Handruin

Administrator
That's cool Dave, good luck with it! I actually started working on the same idea about a year ago, but I never went through with it. I even posted about it here...somewhere.

Are you running the place by yourself, or did you hire staff to help? Post some pics of the place when it's completed, I'd like to see how you made out.

Also, I couldn't get your web page to load...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handruin said:
I actually started working on the same idea about a year ago, but I never went through with it. I even posted about it here...somewhere.

I had remembered that, but didn't want to spend the time to find that thread. :D

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Really? I don't have problem with it.
There's always the google site: keyword if the local search isn't good enough.

ddrueding

Fixture
In that thread many people are talking about a "premium product", I think mine counts, what do you think?

A64 3000+
512MB PC3200
ATI 9800Pro
Raptor
GbE
22" CRT
2.1 Speakers or Plantronics Audio.90 headphones
Dedicated top-end servers on-site
T-1 Internet access
The 20 most popular games, including:

UT2004
BF1942 (plus RTR, DC, SWWW2, Vietnam)
WarCraft3 (plus FT)
Command and Conquer: Generals (plus ZH)
Counterstrike
...and many more I cant recall right now.

The idea is that, no matter what you have at home, ours is better.

That, and the fact that the nearest game center is 20+ miles away (and lame) should help us out. If we can fill the market before others get in the area, we should do pretty well.

ddrueding

Fixture
Handruin said:

Yeah, I realised right after I made the post that it was bad timing. I just finished trying to relocate the server...the T-1 is in, but isn't synching...they should have it licked tomorrow.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
ddrueding said:
Handruin said:

Yeah, I realised right after I made the post that it was bad timing. I just finished trying to relocate the server...the T-1 is in, but isn't synching...they should have it licked tomorrow.

It has been working fine for me ever since you posted the link. I see you have two jobs open, can I apply for one, I'm over 16? :D

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
How much does it cost to play? What kind of advertising are you going to do?

You should really get a permit to serve booze after 10pm. Could boost business, plus selling alcohol is a great way to make money.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Buck said:
It has been working fine for me ever since you posted the link. I see you have two jobs open, can I apply for one, I'm over 16? :D

At your advanced rate of decay you should be eligible for the 25+ job old fella :D

ddrueding

Fixture
Buck said:
ddrueding said:
Handruin said:

I am certainly still looking, and would love for you to swing by ;)

ddrueding

Fixture
timwhit said:
How much does it cost to play? What kind of advertising are you going to do?

You should really get a permit to serve booze after 10pm. Could boost business, plus selling alcohol is a great way to make money.

$5/hr for members, $7/hr for everyone else. Membership is $20 and comes with 3 free hours.

Booze is a definate impossibility. I was bearly able to get a permit as it is. Monterey county is downright hostile to new ideas.

ddrueding

Fixture
RE: Advertising, I've already had an article written about the store in the #1 paper in the area (front page of the local section, above the fold) and am having full-page ads put in all the local high-school papers. Additional advertising at the movie theatres and word-of-mouth will be enough to fill 20 stations, I think.

ddrueding

Fixture
DrunkenBastard said:
Buck said:

At your advanced rate of decay you should be eligible for the 25+ job old fella :D

This is actually an interesting point, considering that I am not 25 yet :roll:

So although we are looking for managers with some maturity, it is not a ard requirement.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
When you get a chance post some pictures of the inside of the store, I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.

ddrueding

Fixture
timwhit said:
When you get a chance post some pictures of the inside of the store, I would be interested in seeing what it looks like.

I'll start thowing some stuff together right now. It will be appended to the website.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
ddrueding said:
DrunkenBastard said:
Buck said:

So although we are looking for managers with some maturity, it is not a ard requirement.

Yeah, I was wondering about that one.

Who is Nelson? Your brother?

Are either of you 25?

Handruin

Administrator
Too bad you're 3000+ miles away, I'd stop in to play games. I was able to get the site to load now, looks good. I see you're using the dotnetnuke CMS from one of your other sites you posted.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
ddrueding said:
DrunkenBastard said:
Buck said:

Oops, don't take that the wrong way. I was just poking fun at Buck, not you.

Handruin

Administrator
Buck will keep the youngin's in line with a quick snap of the ol' cane. :rambo:

Handruin

Administrator
Tweak't offers the most popular on-line games including:

Rated G (General)
===========================
WinChess

:rotfl:

(not poking fun at you, but I've never imagined a LAN party playing chess)

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
When I was in boarding skool a while back, there was a chap with serious discipline issues. His mother gave one of the teachers permission to shall we say "beat the $hit out of him". And so he did. His attitude improved markedly. Of course that was in convict Australia, try that in CA and you will prob be in a jail cell.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
DrunkenBastard said:
When I was in boarding skool a while back, there was a chap with serious discipline issues. His mother gave one of the teachers permission to shall we say "beat the $hit out of him". And so he did. His attitude improved markedly. Of course that was in convict Australia, try that in CA and you will prob be in a jail cell.

I wish I lived in a country founded by convicts... :mrgrn:

ddrueding

Fixture
Nelson is my father. He's a software developer, and is helping me with the website (custom modules) and with our client management system (CyberCafe Pro). We're also developing a real-time stat gathering engine that will integrate with out SQL server and be delivered to our web site with a cusom module.

We're 50/50 in this, so I can get on his case when he trys to pull rank :mrgrn:

He's also inces from an MBA, the CA Bar, and a CPA (and actually is MCSE); so he's helping with all the business stuff while I handle the technicals.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've made sure to have several games that are rated "E", as anyone under 18 will need a parental waiver to play anything else. These include WinChess, URU (sequel to Myst/Riven), Nascar 2004 (including a dedicated server), and Need For Speed: Underground (with a local server hack).

ddrueding

Fixture
timwhit said:
DrunkenBastard said:

I wish I lived in a country founded by convicts... :mrgrn:

I have quite honestly thought this many times.

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
In that thread many people are talking about a "premium product", I think mine counts, what do you think?

A64 3000+
512MB PC3200
ATI 9800Pro
Raptor
GbE
22" CRT
2.1 Speakers or Plantronics Audio.90 headphones
Dedicated top-end servers on-site
T-1 Internet access
The 20 most popular games, including:

UT2004
BF1942 (plus RTR, DC, SWWW2, Vietnam)
WarCraft3 (plus FT)
Command and Conquer: Generals (plus ZH)
Counterstrike
...and many more I cant recall right now.

The idea is that, no matter what you have at home, ours is better.

That, and the fact that the nearest game center is 20+ miles away (and lame) should help us out. If we can fill the market before others get in the area, we should do pretty well.

Congratulations and good luck on your new business Dave.
Those are certainly high end systems you have there. One thing I noticed playing BF1942 is that it sucks up alot of RAM when starting and loading.

Cheers,
Edward

ddrueding

Fixture
I just tested BF1942 @ 2048x1536x32 :eek:

Wow, that looks nice. I think this is running pretty sweet. Any particular tests to make sure it's up to the task?

ddrueding

Fixture
timwhit said:
Did you have to buy 20 copies of every game? Any kind of quantity discount?

My Ingram Micro account is taking forever, but I will be buying 20 copies of every game. Do I need a licence for the server of those games where I will be running a dedicated server?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm the wrong person to ask about this one. I would say read the license agreement. You could even e-mail the company who makes the game and ask them. Someone else around here might know more though.

EdwardK

Dave,

I don't know about the rest of the other games but for BF1942 and QuakeIII, you can get the Linux Server versions. The reason I said Linux is if you have to pay through the nose for the Windows Server versions.

Cheers,
Edward

P.S I know for a fact that the BF1942 Vietnam Linux Server version came out before the Windows version.

EdwardK

ddrueding said:
I just tested BF1942 @ 2048x1536x32 :eek:

Wow, that looks nice. I think this is running pretty sweet...

That is kick a$#@ :excl:
The most I can do on my system without it becoming unplayable is 1028x864x32. Goes to show you got high end systems there :eek:

Cheers,
Edward

Handruin

Administrator
Try testing BF1942 @ 2048x1536x32 with 20 people... That'll put your systems through a realistic test.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Congratulations David - Hope you become the first millionaire at SF!

ddrueding

Fixture
flagreen said:
Congratulations David - Hope you become the first millionaire at SF!

I don't think I would be the first...unless you guys spend as large a percantage of your income as I do on geek toys...

ddrueding

Fixture
Handruin said:
Try testing BF1942 @ 2048x1536x32 with 20 people... That'll put your systems through a realistic test.

I'll have my server up tomorrow, and it will be on a dedicated T-1 early next week. Could I find some volunteers to test it? :mrgrn: