My new system

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
At 4.4GHz, if you add the -bigbeta flag and if you run Linux, you should be able to receive and complete in time the super big FAH units like project 6903 and 6904. Those are worth more than 200K points each and take 4 or 5 days to complete. It should work untill January 12th. After that, even your overclocked hexacore systems will be denied big units.

ddrueding

Fixture
Hmm...that is a thought. I don't know if I can get away with making my work machine native Linux...do you think I could get away with a Linux VM?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No. Putting Linux in a VM will add too much overhead and you won't complete the superbig units in time. That is a certainty.

Handruin

Administrator
The biggest day to day hurdle would be the VMWare vSphere Client.

It would also be simply too much work to re-install my entire work environment. If that was required I wouldn't do it.

You could run Linux as your main OS and install VMWare workstation to run a windows VM, which you could then in-turn run the vSphere client. As an alternative, vSphere 5.0 now offers a web client in order to get around the issue of a windows-only client, but that would mean an overhaul of your currently installed 4.x version which is probably not ideal for you.