N.V.M.e. or "Envy Me"?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
How do you pronounce NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express)? I went to the HPE Storage Event at Quebec City today and Jason White, HPE's Storage CTO, called the interface N.V.M.e. I thought it was a marketing gimmick and was supposed to be pronounced "Envy Me". I may have over thought that.

BTW, Jason White is an entertaining conferencer. If you have the opportunity to assist to one of his events, I recommend it. This time, it was mostly to show the possibilities of their new Synergy chassis, combined with OneView. If you don't need the absolute best density and flexibity, short time to deploy and management simplicity are high on you priority list, then it's worth a look.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How do you pronounce NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express)? I went to the HPE Storage Event at Quebec City today and Jason White, HPE's Storage CTO, called the interface N.V.M.e. I thought it was a marketing gimmick and was supposed to be pronounced "Envy Me". I may have over thought that.

BTW, Jason White is an entertaining conferencer. If you have the opportunity to assist to one of his events, I recommend it. This time, it was mostly to show the possibilities of their new Synergy chassis, combined with OneView. If you don't need the absolute best density and flexibity, short time to deploy and management simplicity are high on you priority list, then it's worth a look.

Is that like Windows Me? :D Check with the NVM Express Organization. HPE is full of it. They were not even part of the initial consortium.

Last edited:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Also, "SCSI" is pronounced "sexy."

ddrueding

Fixture
For me it is the letters in sequence. Only place I've heard it spoken is on a Linus Tech Tips video, and that is how they said it.

Handruin

Administrator
I and everyone else in my company pronounces it N.V.M.E. as does our server hardware suppliers and various array manufacturers like Pure, IBM, Netapp, etc. Until this post I've never heard anyone call it Envy Me.

Stereodude

Not really a
I and everyone else in my company pronounces it N.V.M.E. as does our server hardware suppliers and various array manufacturers like Pure, IBM, Netapp, etc. Until this post I've never heard anyone call it Envy Me.
N.V. and envy are basically the same, so it seems to come down to whether M.E. is emmy or me.

LunarMist

I pronounce it like the letters are spelled but with a light pause, i.e, N.V.M--E, similar to PCIe.

ddrueding

Fixture
One of the ASUS boards I was looking at has an optional 8x PCIe card with 4 M.2 slots to go with the one on-board. All with direct access to the CPU for bootable RAID-0 ;)

LunarMist

M.2 cards have such small capacity, I'm not sure that the hassle and cost are worthwhile. I'd rather have U.2 ports and a smaller number of larger drives that don't have the heat issues.

ddrueding

Fixture
M.2 drives of up to 2TB are still reasonably priced, and their heat output is only significant compared to their size (they still consume less than a HDD).

Cost per TB is still certainly a thing.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
You'll need to get the i9-7900X or higher for enough PCIe lanes for all of those M.2 slots. Unless they're cheating your somewhere.