New sig for The Giver

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm... The Giver is alive and well and handing out gratuitous insults in the SR bar and grille once more. I think it's time I changed his sig. (I have that right, remember.)

The question is, gentlemen - what should I change it to? Answers below, please.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I think we should come up with a few, perhaps in different languages. That way, people will ask him what they mean, he won't know, and become bothered by it. Coug could come up with one in French, the Bartender perhaps one in German, and the aussies here could surely come up with something peculiar.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
How about - "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth."

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
flagreen said:
How about - "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth."

I would find it a bit blasphemous for the Giver to wear such a respectable signature.

You could put:
Aus einem verzagten Arsch kam noch nie ein fröhlicher Furz!
…or
Jeder sieht, wenn ich besoffen bin aber niemand merkt, wenn ich Durst habe.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
In this thread The Giver wrote: Here is your chance:

...to be rid of The Giver. Check out this thread at Storage Review. If the Goal of $500 is achieved The Giver will disappear from not only Storage Review's forum's but from this site's also.

http://forums.storagereview.net/viewtopic.php?t=1166

To Forum Management - The Giver apologises if this is considered spamming <cough> not that there's any rules against spamming <cough>. But if you do disapprove, please delete the thread. Some folks would see it more as a first aid remedy than spamming.

Some time later, I replied as follows:

Tannin said:
(One last time, while I am still a free man.)

Forgive me being a little slow to respond, noble Giver. Next time you post to bait me, please try not to do it over the Aussie weekend - I find it very difficult to get in much time on-line between Friday AM and Monday PM. (Hence those mysterious absences you once remarked on.)

Or indeed, next time you post to please me - for your contributions have been a kalidescope of everything that is good and bad about SR.

On Friday, when I first saw your post I thought "at last! A sensible way to send a donation to SR". I was unsure as to the merits of your peculiar way of promoting SR - after all, selfless as your current offer is, you yourself are one of the primary reasons for the decline of that place as a quality forum. But what the hell - is a good idea less good because the source of it is suspect? I think not.

So I logged on to American Express and try as I might I could not find a practical way send the funds through them. Maybe the American and Australian offices have different systems. Anyway, after 20 minutes or so I gave up. As for PayPal, forget it. There are only two words I could possibly use to describe my response to PainPal: no way.

Today I skipped lunch to go down to my bank and ask them what they could do. After 20 minutes in the queue at the enquiry counter I nearly said "to hell with it" and walked out again. But I didn't, and my patience was rewarded, eventually, when I found that I can have them draw me up a cheque drawn on one of their US affilliates, in US dollars, for $15 a pop.

Yippee!

I guess that they will rip me off with the exchange rate, but after all this is a bank we are talking about here. It don't matter what you do with your money - spend it, save it, deposit it, withdraw it, smoke it, shoot it, or shove it up your arse - the one thing you can be sure of is that the bank will rip you off.

So: here's the deal. Tommorow I'll go back down to the bank with $500. That's $500 weakling little Aussie dollars, but still, they add up to a tidy stack of Greenbacks - about 200 or 250 of them. And I'll get the bank to make the cheque out to Handruin. (I would have done it today, except that I couldn't remember Doug's last name, and they probably also want his address, color of eyes, mother's maiden name ... )

I'll send my cheque to Doug, and as soon as it arrives, he'll write out his own cheque for US$100 to Storage Review and send it to them. The balance he will keep to add to the Storage Forum war chest.

That's my part.

OK, it's not the $500 US you were asking for, but it's a pretty damn good offer just the same.

Now for your part:

I don't want you to go away. I don't want you to come back. I want you to promise that, every time you post here, you will use the sig that I assign to you.

That's right. Post as you like. Visit here or stay away as you please. Say whatever you want (subject only to the usual powers of the moderators). Just promise that you will use whatever sig I ask.

That's it. No strings, no caveats. Deal to end on 1st January 2003. You'll have to get yourself a throwaway email address, or I could private message you (whichever you prefer), and from time to time I'll tell you what your new sig will be.

To start with, it might be no sig at all - after all, it's well known that I have a personal fetish about long sigs taking up precious screen real estate and expensive bandwith.

Or I might change it to "The Giver is now a responsible member of this BBS", or even "The Giver is Tannin's hero". Who knows, it might even suit my whim to see that old familiar THE GIVER HAS SPOKEN!.... So let it be Written!.... So let it be Done! once again.

On the other hand, I might decide that it's time that you helped remind us all of the forum rules. In that case, your sig might read: Trolling is prohibited. Trolling is defined as a posting that baits others into argument by angering and/or insulting another participant.

So there you have it. Five hundred bucks on the line, and all you have to do is agree. Say the word (yes, for despite all that has passed between us, I firmly believe that your word is good) and I'll send the dollars by express air mail.

-----------------------------------------

In about ten minutes, I take up my new position as Storage Forum Chairman. That will mean, alas, that I'll feel obliged to post with moderation and good sense (as best I can) and try not to be outrageous. In fact I'll probably get some flak about this present post from the more conservative and sensible of my colleagues. But - damn it - I'll miss being free to post exactly as I like for the next four months or so until my term is up, and I wanted one last chance to run around and kick a few heads as in the old days.

Think of this post as my swan song, or as my "bucks party" the night before the wedding. Sure I'll do my best to be a good husband ... er ... chairman ... and come straight home from work and never even think of playing up. But I felt the need of one long last post with that satisfying touch of mild controversy that is, after all, my trademark. And who better to be the target of it than my perennial old foe, The Giver?

Who better to benefit from it than those two wonderful storage web sites, the Review and the Forum?

So what do you say, old friend and enemy?

Five hundred bucks, I choose your sig.

Do we have a deal?

The Giver responded, I sent the money, Doug passed it on to Storage Review. A little later, The Giver PMed me to saythat he accepted that the dollars had indeed arrived, and what sig was it my pleasure to assign to him?

In short, Rocco, yes, I do have the right to change The Giver's sig. His current one, which I am fond of, is from Napoleon. But perhaps it's time for a change.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I remember that post quite well Tannin. However, the conversation seems to imply that you would assign a signature to him - somewhat singular in nature, perhaps only one time. Nevertheless, I would look forward to a new, profound signature for The Giver.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
Coug could come up with one in French, the Bartender perhaps one in German, and the aussies here could surely come up with something peculiar.
Alas, I did not follow the illustrous career of The Giver (neither at school or in the forums), so I wouldn't know at all what to compose for his sig.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Inspite of his attitude, I had to visit Storage Review and welcome The Giver back to the Bar & Grille. For some reason, I'v always wondered if The Giver was Eugene or Davin; probably not, but the image makes me laugh, so I'll picture it just the same.

Handruin

Administrator
Tannin said:
I have long had the suspicion that The Giver = Davin and Steroedude = Eugene. No evidence, of course.

(And I dare say the real Stereodude will be along to beat me up shortly.)

I can't say I know for sure, but I think there is evidence that Sterodude does not = Eugene, but you never know. :)

I too wondered about The Giver being Davin, strange...

The_Giver

What is this storage?
Tannin said:
I have long had the suspicion that The Giver = Davin and Steroedude = Eugene. No evidence, of course.

(And I dare say the real Stereodude will be along to beat me up shortly.)
The Giver is The Giver and no one else. But you can now listen to the The Giver in stereo, dude.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
BEWARE! That is a fake Giver!

Evidence:

(a) The Giver, for all his faults, is a man of his word. He would not go back to his old sig prior to the expiration of our agreement.

(b) He would certainly not get his sig wrong!

But ... a very clever pun. Full marks for that, oh Fake Giver.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I can't believe the Giver is Tannin. :eek:

(LOL, funny... I posted this thread AFTER posting that in SR which I'm speculating where you from)

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Tannin said:
I don't remember doing so, Steve, but then again, the words "memory" and "Tannin" should never appear in the same sentence. :(

All I remember is that something brutally sarcastic and obnoxious came to me as an idea and I PM'ed it to you. You responded that it made you laugh hard, and that was all.

The_Giver

What is this storage?
Well, well, well... Oh ye of little faith!

Nay dear friends... The_Giver is no fake. He is and shall always be The_Giver. Doubt him not and you shall be spared his wrath.

Furthermore my legions, he has no arrangement with anyone here on this site, or any other site. He has no alias save the glorious name bestowed upon him at birth.

The_Giver

What is this storage?
Bartender said:
It is a shame when The Giver is cloned with an imposter going under the new alias of The_Giver.
There is but one my friend. No other would dare attempt to imitate he who has no equal.

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Time to take the safety off of your "Ban" button on the administrator console, Doug. <heh>

I agree with Tony about this "Giver" being a fake. I don't think the real one would misspell "written" in his signature.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Errors happen...
How else would you expect The Giver's existence?! :mrgrn:

The Giver

Learning Storage Performance
The_Giver? Not quite...

So what is the new signature to be my friend?

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
The Giver also inerrantly speaks in the 3rd person. However, NRG does not.

PS
It seems I was not the only one to think that Davin might be The Giver.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
The Giver also inerrantly speaks in the 3rd person. However, NRG does not

Huh? Of course I don't... I don't have "terdus upmyarseus" or whatever he called it :wink:

Rocco! Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water!

Sorry!!! Forgot you're on the admin team 8) So... its Flagreen after all.

Sol

Storage is cool
:idea: If you were after somthing truly ego crushing a sig in l33t sp33k could serve for a time, badly written and almost randomly esoteric of course.
Perhaps even a l33t h41ku to be truly cruel.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Let's not talk about ego-crushing right now, OK?

Someone mentioned a portion of the Beautitudes (Blessed are the meek...) above. Personally the sentiment from that particular work (and I say this as an unbeliever) I find most beautifully expressed is "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God ".

No, I don't say that as a tweak to the Giver, although it is fitting.

For the Giver's next quote, how about:

"The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves." - William Hazlitt