New Supermicro Server Uses 2.5-Inch SATA Drives

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
Skinny server... itty bitty drives...

• SB-614V-MF.jpg
    X6DVL-EG2_spec.jpg

The OEM-only Super Barebone 614V-MF is a dual-processor based server that offers an exceptional price/performance value. Its special front-side I/O provides easy access to system ports. Support for 64-bit Xeon processors of up to 3.60 GHz at an 800 MHz front side bus and up to 8 GB of DDRII SDRAM provide excellent computing power in a 1U form factor. The 614V-MF houses two 2.5" SATA drives. Two gigabit ethernet ports and onboard graphics add increased functionality and ease in setting up this attractive 1U rackmount. A density-optimized solution that’s easy on any budget, the 614V-4 is ideal for HPC, server appliance applications, firewall, file/print server, mail server, web server and other server applications.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/barebone/1U/SB-614V-MF.cfm

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Neat. But it seems that this product would be best suited for folding. More drives with more capacity would be better.

GIANT

CougTek said:
Supermicro said:
A density-optimized solution that’s easy on any budget,...
I'm skeptical about this.

Come on now! Even my little 7 year old niece has one on backorder; required for some genome projekt the kiddies are doing down at the schoolhaus.

Explorer

By the way, I zoomed in on the front panel of this server, and I can see that the mobo is mounted backwards in the chassis so that you can get the to ports and presumably the PCI Express card slots (remember, PCI Express devices are hot swappable) at the front side of the equipment rack. :eek:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Also noticed some new narrow proprietary mobos that go into 1-U chassis supporting PCI card risers, multiple drives, and a relatively high-wattage power supply...
X6DHP-iG_spec.jpg
SYS-6014P-T.jpg

ddrueding

Fixture
Explorer said:
By the way, I zoomed in on the front panel of this server, and I can see that the mobo is mounted backwards in the chassis so that you can get the to ports and presumably the PCI Express card slots (remember, PCI Express devices are hot swappable) at the front side of the equipment rack. :eek:

Yep. THis server is thin enough that you can put 2 of them back-to-back in the same 1U of the rack, doubling density.