[NEWS] - Samsung to release UXGA 17" OLED display

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Samsung SDI, the Korean giant's display division, has announced prototypes of a 17-inch active matrix organic light emitting diode (OLED) display. Due for launch next year, the display has a resolution of 1600x1200 pixels and a brightness of 400 lumens, and is the largest OLED matrix display to date according to the company.

It will consume no more power than a 15-inch display and be a third of the thickness of existing LCD models, the company said. The prototype will be shown at the 2004 Society for Information Display (SID) conference, taking place from 25th May in Seattle.
Another thing that will make me work in overtime to pile cash.

News source

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
How long will the display last? As I recall, current OLEDs have a very finite lifetime.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I thought about the lifespan factor, but I figure that Samsung won't ship a display without a reasonable design life.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How many years will it be before the technology is mature? I am still waiting to replace an older CRT, but have been dissapointed in LCDs which do not have a truly wide color gamut and dynamic range, not to mention angular viewing changes.
[/b]

time

Storage? I am Storage!
At last! The death of one of the poxiest technologies ever to be foisted on us is within sight (that's LCD, BTW).

OLEDs forever. Sign me up.

GIANT

Learning Storage Performance
The last I heard, the phosphorescent OLED was poised to take leadership away from other OLED variants -- especially in power consumption.