[NEWZ] Monster 15kRPM SCSI Hard Drive !

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah, but are they cool and quiet?

And when will they really be available?

zx

Learning Storage Performance
Drool... can't wait to see the numbers on these.

Both series will be equipped with FDB motors.

As for availability :

Qualification units for OEM customers will be available from April for the MAT series from June for the MAU series. Volume shipments will start shortly thereafter.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If they're even close to comparable to MaxLine drives in terms of price, I'd have a hard time saying "no" to at least a couple of 'em.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Will there soon be equivalent offerings from Seagate and Maxtor? I prefer the Cheetahs.

Computer Generated Baby

LunarMist said:
Will there soon be equivalent offerings from Seagate and Maxtor? I prefer the Cheetahs.

I suspect it will be a while before both Maxtor and Seagate will get around to making public their next product announcements. In both cases, there might be announcements covering a mix of hard drives, some using "conventional" and some using perpendicular recording technologies.

Seagate is likely trying its dearest to move as much of its product line over to 2.5-inch platters as it can so that it can get some cost reduction on 2.5-inch platter manufacturing. So, later in 2004, you just might hear about "perpendicular" 160, 200, or 250 GB 2.5-inch ATA/SATA drives, or a "perpendicular" 120 GB notebook hard drive. Seagate and Maxtor have both been working on perpendicular recording techniques -- Seagate the longest.

I would not put it past Maxtor to introduce a "conventional" 400 GB MaxLine III ATA/SATA hard drive or maybe a "perpendicular" 500+ GB MaxLine III. Seagate seems to have lost interest in recent years in attaining high storage capacity per drive unit, but are instead pushing high platter density and 2.5-inch form factor.

Dïscfärm

Tea said:
Perpendicular? Play that again, I wasn't paying attention.

Perpendicular recording: It's a closely guarded secret, but you simply install the hard drive upside down in the chassis and it doubles its recording density!

ddrueding

Fixture
I thought it was when 2 drives were placed on edge with the controller bords touching, then they are able to RAID telepathically...

Computer Generated Baby

Tea said:

Using street parlance, perpendicular recording: Not only are you recording modulations in a "up and down" fashion, you can also record modulations in a "sideway" fashion, so that your encoding is very dense (and complex) thus bumping up storage capacity.

Computer Generated Baby

ddrueding said:
I thought it was when 2 drives were placed on edge with the controller bords touching, then they are able to RAID telepathically...

That's similar to "Quantum Theory RAID" where you have a single bit appearing in two places at once.

Why didja ya think they named that company Quantum??? Yep, that's why.

ddrueding

Fixture
Computer Generated Baby said:
Tea said:

Using street parlance, perpendicular recording: Not only are you recording modulations in a "up and down" fashion, you can also record modulations in a "sideway" fashion, so that your encoding is very dense (and complex) thus bumping up storage capacity.

So each "bit" on the recording surface is capable of 3 states? Trinary, here we come :roll:

Computer Generated Baby

ddrueding said:
So each "bit" on the recording surface is capable of 3 states? Trinary, here we come :roll:

Errr...... NO. It's all about 'encoding" only.

Are you familiar with the concept of "quadrature?" It's basically something you would learn about in an EE-101 class at a university. This is the same concept.

You are strictly storing binary (base 2) data, but you are still recording information into magnetic "domains" (just a fancy name for clumps of magnetic particles) using a new, denser method than you were before.

To read and write perpendicularly and vertically, you will DEFINITELY need an all new head design that can record and read this information RELIABLY. The "reliably" part is the catch. I'm sure this could all be done many years ago, but at low densities. To get past the break even point, though, you are going to have to optimise parameters such as sector recording density, track-to-track density, read/write speed, read/write reliability, error detection and correction, materials cost, manufacturing costs, et cetera to get a marketable product.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Ha. It figures. I suppose it's another one of those things you picked up in jai ... er ... I mean while you were somewhere else for a while.

I think the real point here is that magnetic domains can have any number of orientations (north, south, up, down, east, west, and points in-between. I don't pretend to understand "quadrature" (indeed, at a guess I'd have said it was probably a sort of medical support back-brace thingie you have to wear after having too many babies at the same time) I can imagine that what the CGB is trying to say in words of two sylables or less, and suitable for small, rapidly slimming orange-furred apes of little brain, is that it's a bit like three-phase AC power. Only to do with magnetic orientations, not phase angles.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Sorry for the delay regarding the front page link. I'm only here on week-ends and today, my Saturday has been occupied elsewhere.

Since Doug is also very busy these days, I need a backup for the front page news system. I hate to post news 2 days late.

I'm really looking forward the 15Krpm unit BTW.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
If they're even close to comparable to MaxLine drives in terms of price, I'd have a hard time saying "no" to at least a couple of 'em.

Given the prices of the 147GB 10K drives, I don't think we'll be seeing the 300GB drives for anywhere near $250. Prob closer to $1K.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Forget all the server stuff, I merely desire a pair of 36GB single platter 15K drives.

Computer Generated Baby

To read and write perpendicularly and vertically, you will DEFINITELY need an all new head design that...

Er... I see that I meant to say:
  • To read and write horizontally and vertically, you will DEFINITELY need an all new head design that...

ddrueding

Fixture
To read and write perpendicularly and vertically, you will DEFINITELY need an all new head design that...

Er... I see that I meant to say:
  • To read and write horizontally and vertically, you will DEFINITELY need an all new head design that...

er....sorry that post was made days ago, several life-determining decisions have been made since then. And as you are in Texas...your death penalty will be carried out...now (bang)....

:p

Computer Generated Baby

Tannin said:
...suitable for small, rapidly slimming orange-furred apes of little brain, is that it's a bit like three-phase AC power. Only to do with magnetic orientations, not phase angles.

How would Tea know about three-phase power? If it's what I'm thinking, then tell Tea to stay the hell away from power lines! They aren't for recreational use and they aren't meant to be an alternate path for coming down out of a tall tree!

Three-phase power is all about generating and consumption efficiency. That's why the commercial folk all love three-phase a whole lot more than single-phase AC electricity. You don't draw as much current with three-phase motors as you would with inefficient, larger, hotter single-phase motors.