Nichia Develops 60 Lumen Per Watt White LED

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the suitability of an illumination pattern depends largely on the application.

I'm sure those are fine for lampshapes, but I would not want to use the 12-point light in a non-diffused application such as the toilet.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting stuff. More than twice as efficient as CFLs, and on par with LEDs (today). Though it doesn't say, I suspect it is cool running like fluorescent tubes and not hot like LEDs. That gives FIPELs an advantage in certain applications. Once mass produced, I suspect it may be cheaper than usable/installable LEDs lamps. Might not have to wait too long; article says it might be available to consumers next year, and the inventor has been using one for a decade!

Handruin

Administrator

Your article is very similar to P5-133XL's...both of which seem too good to be true. The descriptions seem to sound like the perfect bulb. Fantastic color temperature, resistant to breaking, cheap to produce, very efficient in converting electricity to light (ie low heat output), not caustic to the environment, lasts a very long time, and available soon. I hope this isn't an evil joke. Why wouldn't I want to buy these? There was no mention of size or actual relative price even though they claim they are cheap to make.

LunarMist

Meh. What are the power density (w/cm2) , efficiency at a practical output level, usable life, and cost per watt? Something is not right.

Handruin

Administrator
Meh. What are the power density (w/cm2) , efficiency at a practical output level, usable life, and cost per watt? Something is not right.

Did you read the articles?

"This new lighting solution is at least twice as efficient as compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs and on par with LEDs, but these bulbs won't shatter and contaminate a home like CFLs or emit a bluish light like LED counterparts."

"As far as longevity goes, Carroll says he has a FIPEL in his office that has worked for a decade. The most likely reason for such incredible immutability is because FIPEL produces only negligible amounts of heat — almost all of the electrical energy is converted into light. Without heat as a continual stressor, the polymer will probably remain stable for years."

LunarMist

I don't believe there are no problems. Why was this not on the market previously ? Something is fishy.

LunarMist

Maybe carbon nanotubes are cheap enough to make it viable now.

Let's see if the major LED manufacturers bail out. Then we'll know.
Of course Apple will probably sue them, claiming they invented it and tying the lights up in court. :colors:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
More on FIPEL lighting:

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Ar...more-on-the-oled-alternative-light-source.htm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1566119912004831

The second link has actual spectra, and they are indeed continuous, without the humps and valleys of LED. If efficiency really is twice that of a CFL, and these can be made cheaply, and with a long life, LED might have some serious competition. I wouldn't count LED out though. FIPEL is good for area lighting and nothing more. You can't focus it like you can with LED. Also, the loss mechanisms may mean that efficiency is stuck at twice that of CFL (120 lm/W?) forever, while LED looks to be on a path to eventually get well past 200 lm/W, perhaps even approach 300 lm/W if you're not too fussy about CRI. And then there's lifetime. They mention with an expensive encapsulant you can get 40,000 to 50,000 hours. That's pretty good, but underdriven LEDs can exceed 200,000 hours, perhaps even several times that. If you want install it and forget it for the life of the building lighting, LED is your only real choice. The weak link with LED lighting is actually the drivers. You need to use solid capacitors and run them very cool in order to have their lifetime match that of the LEDs.

LunarMist

I wish they would produce similar efficiency in smaller emitters. :( I'm still looking to replace some small flashlights.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I wish they would produce similar efficiency in smaller emitters. :( I'm still looking to replace some small flashlights.
The best bins of the XT-E and XP-G2 achieve ~160 lm/W @ 350 mA and 25°C junction temperature. Not quite the 200 lm/W of the MK-R, but not too far off, either. That said, I have a couple of lighting projects which are just begging for the MK-R, provided the price is similar to the XM-L2.

LunarMist

The comment was right, the link was wrong. Betting the copy to clipboard failed, and that was the last thing he'd copied.

That is very strange. I turned it off many times in the past few weeks. I had no idea that the Androiden clipboard survives the power cycles.

LunarMist

The best bins of the XT-E and XP-G2 achieve ~160 lm/W @ 350 mA and 25°C junction temperature. Not quite the 200 lm/W of the MK-R, but not too far off, either. That said, I have a couple of lighting projects which are just begging for the MK-R, provided the price is similar to the XM-L2.

It looks like the new LED has four smaller emitters.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool

I was thinking of buying the Fenix PD32 "Ultimate Edition" which can deliver over 700 lumens in short bursts. But of course as soon as I order it they will release the PD33 with a better LED in it.....

Stereodude

Not really a
So, I just want to know why there aren't any LED bulbs out there using the MK-R or other very high efficiency LEDs. I'd love to get my hands on a 5-7W 1000lm LED "bulb".

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
So, I just want to know why there aren't any LED bulbs out there using the MK-R or other very high efficiency LEDs. I'd love to get my hands on a 5-7W 1000lm LED "bulb".
I don't know how many LED are needed for a typical light bulb, but looking at Cree's datasheet for the MK-R LED and searching for the prices of various models in the higher luminous range, I come up with prices between 6.5$ and 8.6$ per LED. Assuming you need at least 10 LED to make a bulb (I don't know, just guessing here), you end up with a very pricey bulb. Marketing departments must conclude that the market isn't ready to pay such a high price for a light bulb, I presume.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
If I'd be rich, I would buy a thousand of the most efficient MK-R LED model and give a contract to JTR to make awesome lighting designs.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't know how many LED are needed for a typical light bulb, but looking at Cree's datasheet for the MK-R LED and searching for the prices of various models in the higher luminous range, I come up with prices between 6.5$ and 8.6$ per LED. Assuming you need at least 10 LED to make a bulb (I don't know, just guessing here), you end up with a very pricey bulb. Marketing departments must conclude that the market isn't ready to pay such a high price for a light bulb, I presume.
From the datasheet it looks like it would require about 1 to 2 LEDs to hit the lumen output of a typical light bulb. The emitters are between 600-1200 lumen each when driven at 700mA. Obviously 1-2 LEDs isn't going to match the emission pattern of a normal light bulb. You could use more, but then you're using more emitters than needed just to get proper light dispersion.

That probably about sums it up. It's not a cost effective LED for LED replacement light bulbs.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
This new Cree bulb uses 20 LEDs and is retailing for $13.97.

As for the MK-R, given the prices distributors like Mouser are charging for it in large quantities, it probably costs not much over a dollar for Cree to make. If Cree designed their own bulb with the MK-R, they could use two to four units per bulb and still keep the sales price under $20. Efficiency would be great, probably north of 125 lm/W even for warm white, higher for cool white.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
If I'd be rich, I would buy a thousand of the most efficient MK-R LED model and give a contract to JTR to make awesome lighting designs.
I would love to design something with a lot of MK-Rs. Driving them at 1 watt, the best bins will get ~200 lm/W. Moreover, given the ability of LEDs to direct all of the light where you want it, you might only need 50% or 75% of the lumens of the source you're replacement. ~4500 lumens of LED can handily replace a 2x32W T8 fixture (~6000 lumens), for example. With the MK-R, if you assume 10% driver losses, you only 25 watts to give the same light as 64 watts of T8s.

From the datasheet it looks like it would require about 1 to 2 LEDs to hit the lumen output of a typical light bulb. The emitters are between 600-1200 lumen each when driven at 700mA. Obviously 1-2 LEDs isn't going to match the emission pattern of a normal light bulb. You could use more, but then you're using more emitters than needed just to get proper light dispersion.

That probably about sums it up. It's not a cost effective LED for LED replacement light bulbs.
I think that's the problem. The MK-R would probably be cost effective for LED bulbs in that two to four units could give you enough light, but you would probably need at least eight or ten for proper light distribution.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That's great news! I'm especially interested inthe 60W/5000K bulb. I don't know what the CRI is, but I suppose it should be 80. Anyway, I've always prefered high color temperatures and 14$ won't ruin me. Dimmable too. What's not to like about it?
I think the CRI has to be at least 80 to qualify for the Energy Star rating. The 5000K bulb is the one which interests me the most, too.

EDIT: Actually, all three bulbs have a CRI of 80 according to this.