Not CAT6, Not wireless.....

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I really like homeplug, except for the price of the hardware. It works really well for a lot of low-bandwidth applications like console gaming. I know everyone and his brother has 802.11 now, but there are a lot of places where it's not the right answer to the problem, as timwhit can undoubtedly attest.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
How far does the signal travel over the electrical lines? How big can your house be and it still work well? Alternatively, will the signal reach to your neighbors house? What if you both are in an apt complex?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Every time I see this stuff I can't help but think of Tempest.

Don't most decent home-plug adapters provide some form of encryption to help with snooping by your neighbours?

The main problem I see is wide-band RF propagation which can effect a multitude of devices... Depending on the frequency used, it could block HF or local VHF transmissions. (not good for emergency services).

ddrueding

Fixture
Also don't forget that most US homes have split-phase wiring (220v in, phases split to a pair of 110v lines used to power outlets and lights). If this tech is able to get past that, then it could (theoretically) propagate to other houses. The home automation stuff I'm using uses powerline networking, and includes a special bridge specifically to get data from one branch to another.