Nvidia RTX 2080 & 2080Ti announcement

Handruin

Administrator
They're skipping the 1180 and going straight to 2080? Is that official or just speculation?

Looks like I was close. The name is supposed to be RTX2080 and we should know for sure fairly soon. If the performance numbers are good, I'm likely to pull the trigger to replace my GTX980's with a single RTX2080 (or Ti if it's available).

Handruin

Administrator
Supposedly pre order on Monday Aug 20th. The rumor is performance is greater than Titan V and priced around $800. Should be interesting.

Handruin

Administrator
Wow...$1200 for a 2080Ti is bananas. I could stomach $800 for that card but I think nvidia is really giving another middle finger here...and team red is no where to offer any competition.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wow...$1200 for a 2080Ti is bananas. I could stomach $800 for that card but I think nvidia is really giving another middle finger here...and team red is no where to offer any competition.
That's only if you want to pay the $200 Founder's Edition tax. Still $1k is still stupidly expensive. I wouldn't spend a dime until I see how the new Turing architecture performs with non raytracing workloads. The visual improvement raytracing had in their examples they showcased was quite impressive. However, I'm not playing games. They tout how much faster all three are than the 1080Ti, but in raytracing. That doesn't tell me much...

Frankly, I don't see the prices levels holding. People aren't buying these cards to mine cryptocurrency. I know some people are desperate to upgrade, but I don't think there's that many of them.

Handruin

Administrator
I agree with you. I'm waiting to see how this performs under the usual benchmarks in comparison to the 1080Ti. As much as ray tracing is nice, I can't imagine these cards holding up with full scenes using raytracing. I want this for gaming but not specifically for raytracing. Having this in games will take quite some time. I know there are a few titles mentioned to have it but to what degree is unknown.

I know the founders cards typically call for a premium but all the other manufacturers are also asking the same or higher amounts in their offerings and they are able to offer on release day unlike last time. The major players also did their pre-purchase announcements and you can pre-order on Newegg (not that you plan to). Did you see somewhere that non-founders cards would be $200 less?

I can't imagine this price point will sustain either. I somewhat expect this is to push people to continue buying the 1080/1080Ti so they can use up all those excess chips while these demand a huge premium. At this price they are a terrible ROI for any cryptocurrency mining. I've been holding out to upgrade but this still gives me pause especially until I can see reviews and benchmarks.

Stereodude

Not really a
Did you see somewhere that non-founders cards would be $200 less?
The MSRP was shown as $999 for the RTX 2080 Ti in the announcement today.

I somewhat expect this is to push people to continue buying the 1080/1080Ti so they can use up all those excess chips while these demand a huge premium.
I suspect you're on to something there. There were quite a few articles written in the past few months about the glut of unsold GTX 10x0 cards. They way they can fleece the suckers who have to have one first and clear out their GTX 10x0 inventory. I remember back in the day when graphics cards sold for less than MRSP. I expect we'll see a return to that after this initial bubble pops (unless they just happen to be phenomenal for crypto mining).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
nVidia was founded in 1993. What is the advantage in a Founder's Edition, more memory, fast clocker, etc.?

Stereodude

Not really a
nVidia was founded in 1993. What is the advantage in a Founder's Edition, more memory, fast clocker, etc.?
It is overclocked, supposedly has premium build quality/high quality parts, and they're shipping first.

The reality is they're for the people who just have to be first and money burning a hole in their pocket.

Handruin

Administrator
The MSRP was shown as $999 for the RTX 2080 Ti in the announcement today.

I suspect you're on to something there. There were quite a few articles written in the past few months about the glut of unsold GTX 10x0 cards. They way they can fleece the suckers who have to have one first and clear out their GTX 10x0 inventory. I remember back in the day when graphics cards sold for less than MRSP. I expect we'll see a return to that after this initial bubble pops (unless they just happen to be phenomenal for crypto mining).

I get the appeal though. I've been hyped up to get a card that can reliably have high frame rate at 4K and been eagerly awaiting this next gen release. I got my two GTX 980s right around their release in September, 2014, so I'm a 4-year mark. Even if I plunk down $1000 on one of these I'd be spending roughly the same amount and have a MUCH faster GPU than I did back then and would have spent less (not including inflation). Is it worth $250/year for four years...hard to say. They also did not release a Ti version at the same time; that was 8-months later.

I still need to wait to the normal run of websites and YouTube channels do their reviews to get a better idea if they are worth the money.

LunarMist

It is overclocked, supposedly has premium build quality/high quality parts, and they're shipping first.

The reality is they're for the people who just have to be first and money burning a hole in their pocket.

So the later ones have substandard parts? :crap:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So the later ones have substandard parts? :crap:

I wouldn't think of it as sub-standard, but the parts are released and used in accordance to the specification defined by nVidia. The founders edn (reportedly) use high-spec components (eg capacitors, resisters, etc) in their construction, but I'm sure the actual GPUs will be no different to any other card.

Handruin

Administrator
I'll definitely be interested in your feedback on the new GPU and monitor. :) I'd bet on the GPU showing up first.

Handruin

Administrator
After reading that article, it's more like 1.5x faster than a 1080 without the DLSS feature that game engines have to enable. That said, I hope that number shows to be valid as additional reviewers test the new GPUs. That would mean I can get solid 4K gaming with a 2080 and even better with a 2080Ti.

Handruin

Administrator
I moved all the post related to the 2080 discussion into its own thread so that the original thread isn't ruined from continued discussion. That was my bad to not make a new thread to discuss this news.

LunarMist

The high power video cards are going to your brains. I have the lowly Quattro.

LunarMist

I don't remember the thread. I wanted a new card since I was buying a new monitor and planning to upgrade To the new CPU and Win10.

Obviously it didn't work out. The card is quite small and replaced the old passively cooled one. Now they have more cores with video and I might do that after meltdown spectres is fixed.

LunarMist

There was probably a trademark issue although the industries are different. Maybe the Italians were involved with the Audi cars. That was a long time ago.

The video card is a year or so old.