O&O Defrag with TRIM

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
But...why would you want to?

Defrag would have to be horrible for an SSD under normal circumstances. Probably better that one have trim support than not.

Personally I believe in the time-honored tradition of office workers using defrag as an excuse to get out of doing actual work. In fact, that's one of the things I tell people who take my classes. "No, you probably didn't have to, but if you want a half hour to clip coupons or read a magazine, a defrag is a great excuse."

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
My understanding is that SSDs are addressed similarly to memory (row + column), so what magik is happening in the MFT is interesting. Given that, it doesn't matter if files are fragmented in an SSD as the the access penalty (and I'm not sure that there is one) is miniscule compared to the penalty observed in a mechanical hard drive (nano seconds versus milli seconds).

ddrueding

Fixture
That was my point. Defrag is useless in SSDs. Trying to sell a defrag app to SSD owners is like trying to sell tsunami insurance to folks in Ohio. Nothin' but a scam.

Mercutio

That was my point. Defrag is useless in SSDs. Trying to sell a defrag app to SSD owners is like trying to sell tsunami insurance to folks in Ohio. Nothin' but a scam.

I'm thinking more that there are still going to be people running a defrag just because they've always done defrags. It helped when they had Windows 98, after all, and they like thinking that they're helping and the time they don't have to spend looking at their computer.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
O&O uses TRIM for SSDs.

"For the first time, O&O Defrag enables you to optimize all makes of SSD drives. Using regularly scheduled ATA TRIM commands, an SSD will be kept informed of those hard disk areas that are available for new data. Instead of
continuing to save the contents of data that’s no longer needed, the SSD can now use those freed areas for a drive internal optimization of its data management. As a result, the SSD is able to process accesses significantly faster, and wear out on flash chips is kept to a minimum."

Isn't this what is needed on SSDs?

Besides, why don't you defrag??

ddrueding

Fixture
Modern SSDs on modern OSes have TRIM automatically, I don't need to buy software to get it.

Defrag is useless on SSDs, as the drive can access any point on the drive in the same amount of time; there is no benefit to having the data adjacent to the previous bit. As a matter of fact, it is detrimental to the write cycles and wear-leveling on the drive.

Defrag on spinning disks is done at idle automatically by modern OSes, including optimization for boot time and common apps (I forget the MS marketing name for this).

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
So, this might be useful for people who, for whatever reason, blew money on an SSD and run an older operating system, but can't be bothered to use one of the several free tools to do ostensibly the same thing.

Mercutio

Do any such tools exist for Linux?

I'm pretty sure Linux has supported TRIM for at least a year or so.

And Bozo, I don't normally defrag anything because in a lot of cases it's faster to image a drive and then restore it than it is to run a defragger, and if I look, Windows almost never says that I actually need to.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So, this might be useful for people who, for whatever reason, blew money on an SSD and run an older operating system, but can't be bothered to use one of the several free tools to do ostensibly the same thing.

That would be me. But I would use the secure erase utility to wipe the drive rather than the damaging defrag.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting. In my experiance making an image of a fragmented hard drive, the restore is also fragmented.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Interesting. In my experiance making an image of a fragmented hard drive, the restore is also fragmented.

IME even if the image is of an unfrgmented drive it may restore with some fragmentation unless the sector-by-sector method is used.