OCZ accepting returns of slower 25nm SSD

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The news comes from StorageReview.

OCZ used 16 32Gb (4GB) 32nm Hynix NAND ICs on the older model but switched to 8 64Gb (8GB) 25nm Micron ICs on the new revision. While still maintaining roughly the same capacity (not including overprovisioning) this resulted in half the channels connected to the controller resulting in slower write speeds under certain conditions. The updated model will still retain 25nm flash (which was never a problem by itself) but OCZ will use 32Gb ICs, filling all available channels like the previous 32/34nm models as well as reducing RAISE requirements which will get back some of the lost storage capacity and likely the performance as well.

The good news though is those who are affected now have a remedy. OCZ is paying for shipping both ways, and getting consumers the updated 25nm SSD. To get the RMA process started, consumers should file a support ticket with OCZ. According to their own forums, the response may take a few days, they're understandably deluged with return requests right now.

Handruin

Administrator
If their RMA time is anything like Mercutio's...it'll be next year before people get a replacement.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
This whole 25nm NAND move is a piece of crap. The new drives are not operationally identical to the old ones, as they have less user-accessible space and generally worse performance.

Was it accounting or marketing that made this decision?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Should I buy an old-school 35nm "Force" drive now before they are all gone?