Opera 10.5: a PR disaster in progress

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The quote below is reposted from My Opera forum. This was my post, it was one of a great many similar ones. The place is going ape over the new Opera 10.5; there are many, many unhappy Opera users posting there, and the mods are ruthlessly deleting all the threads. We are not talking about Firefox trolls or people out to make trouble; we are talking about rusted-on Opera users like me; dedicated Opera evangilists who are genuinely upset about the pretty awful things that have been done to the former best browser on the planet.

Here is my post. I think you will agree that it is polite, restrained, and overwhelmingly pro=-Opera. Yet they deleted the entire thread.

Tannin said:
Very unhappy with the new Opera 10.5x

Hi all,

I have been a committed Opera user since version 6.0. I liked Opera enough in those days to purchase a licence for it. Opera has come a long way since then: through the unlovely but overdue updates that 7.0 brought, more of the same with 8.x, and then the supreme stability and near-ultimate usability that came along with 9.x and the even better 10.x.

Until now. I am very, very unhappy with 10.5x.

I'm not going to complain about stability or performance issues - frankly, I don't know whether these exist in 10.5x or not, and I'll never find out unless and until the user interface is fixed.

Here, try a little experiment with me.

1: Start up Opera 10.5
2: Switch the tab behaviour to the standard behaviour pioneered by Opera all those years ago and still not improved upon - that's where you have a single close-tab "X" and it is always in the same place, near the top right of screen. (This was always the default behaviour until about Version 10.0. Now you need to set it yourself with tools >> preferences >> advanced >> tabs >> additional tab options >> untick "show close button on each tab".)
3: try to close a tab. You can't. There is no way to close a tab in 10.5x unless you go through the menu (file >> close tab) or use a keyboard shortcut.

I'm sorry, but this is simply unacceptably poor user interface design. It is unusable. It presents me with the following options:

1: Use the Firefox/IE style tab-close-X-on-every-tab interface option (which isn't broken in 10.5x). That's a bad choice. (a) it wastes space on a crowded tab bar; (b) it's ugly; (c) by far the most important, it takes away consistency - to close a tab, you have to click in various different places along the tab bar instead of simply clicking in the same place every time you want to perform the same action. Same place, same action - that is good ergonomic design, fast and simple, and Opera got it right many years ago. Why break it now?

2: Dump Opera and go to a browser that does have a non-broken interface with a single-location close-tab button. The obvious choice is SeaMonkey. (For those unfamiliar with SeaMonkey, it is the new name for the old Mozila all-in-one browser, which is still updated and still going strong.) SeaMonkey takes longer to start up than Opera, is very stable but not as good as Opera (nothing beats Opera for stability), and is clunky and practical rather than good-looking. Still, it does at least have a user interface that isn't actally broken, and I'll take ugly-but-works over pretty-but-broken every time.

3: Given that Opera 10.5x is going to inflict a Google Chrome/Firefox style user interface on me, why not just use Firefox or Chrome in the first place?

4: Stay with Opera 10.10. This is by far the best choice right now, but sooner or later, security issues are going to make 10.10 unusable. Especially because 10.10 isn't going to be an unusual choice - just running my eye over the front page of this forum, I see other users planning to do the exact same thing. So, sooner or later, 10.10 will be targeted, and I'll need to migrate to another browser well before them.

5: Fix the interface! Best answer by a mile. Please, please give us back our close-tab "X".

A little more about me. I run a small computer shop in south-east Australia. For many years now, we have had a policy, anytime we build a new machine or do any significant work on an existing one, of loading safe, modern browsers and a modern email client. Unless the customer requests otherwise, we always set the default browser to whichever one the senior technician (that's me) judges, all things considered, is the best at any particular time. Many years ago that was Netscape, then we went to Opera 6.0, then Mozilla when it came out, and then back to Opera again when the big improvement happened after the unlovely 7.0 and 8.0. Was it 8.5? Or 9.0? 8.5, I think.

Ever since then, we have been setting Opera as the default browser on all the machines we work on. Customers are, of course, welcome to chance the default to whatever they please. We discourage them selecting IE on security grounds, and used to find that some stayed with Opera, a few preferred SeaMonkey, and quite a lot wound up using Firefox - probably because it gets more publicity and their friends recommended it.

But since Speeddial came along, many more people are staying with Opera as the default. It has been really, really noticable. No two ways about it: users love speed dial.

Unfortunately, the new Opera interface is too significantly broken for us to be able to honestly recommend it or set it as default browser anymore. I had hoped and expected that the broken close-tab function was just an oversight which would be fixed in the first 10.5x bug-fix release. But it is still broken in 10.51, so it looks as though it's permanent.

We'll give Opera a bit longer to see if they fix it, but if it is still broken in the next minor release, we will have to switch our standard browser over to SeaMonkey.

For myself, I'll keep on using 10.10 for a bit longer, and keep on waiting for a fix in 10.5x, but it looks as though it's goodbye to Opera for me as well. This makes me very sad: Opera has been a fantastic browser for a long, long time and I'll miss it. Indeed, I care enough about this issue to have taken time I can't spare out from my busy working day to join up here and write this long post, in the faint hope that someone at Opera will read it and do something to fix the broken 10.5x close tab function. It's only one function, but it is one of the most frequently-used functions of all and very important

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
the mods are ruthlessly deleting all the threads. We are not talking about Firefox trolls or people out to make trouble; we are talking about rusted-on Opera users like me; dedicated Opera evangilists who are genuinely upset about the pretty awful things that have been done to the former best browser on the planet.

....so, have any of the users of the forum tried PM's with various members of the Mod team (Admn?) to ask why the threads like yours have been deleted?

If you have, what was their rational in their response?

How did you reply to that rational?

Surely not all the Mod team have their PM capability turned off?

Did you miss a thread (like tea does here :D ) where some Mod said they are aware, and are considering/working on a solution?

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I tend to agree with the close tab consistency making a noticeable usability difference.

There are options within firefox to change it's behavior within about:config. For one, you can have a close button on all tabs or only the active tab. Second you can set the tab widths. Buy utilizing both these options, it becomes much more usable to quickly and accurately close tabs. If these aren't good enough there's an addon that provides potentially more behavior variations.

I don't think I'd prefer the opera style of a single close button in the upper right, but I suppose I'd get used to it.

ddrueding

Fixture
The only change I always make in about:config is to put a single "close tab" x in the top-right. It's right there, and it works. C'mon in, the water is fine.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Potentially related to this Tony:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUS369913609820100304

""Opera Software today said that it has seen a three-fold increase in downloads of its browser since Microsoft started pushing a ballot screen to European who run Windows.

"It varies from country to country, but yes, in several major countries, Opera downloads have tripled since the ballot screen appeared," said Rolf Assev, the chief strategy officer for the Norwegian browser maker. Opera specifically cited surges in downloads in Belgium, France, Spain, Poland and the U.K.

Assev said the swell of downloads was above and beyond the increase caused by the final release of Opera 10.5 for Windows yesterday. "We compared the downloads against previous launches, such as Opera 10.0, 10.10 and 9.5, and the tripling is above what we would normally expect with a new version launch," he said."

Does Opera auto-update like Firefox 6 does?

If you look at the browser ballot page it's another piece of cack handed design where the average user would never know there are more than 5 browsers available (you have to scroll to the right to see them). They can't even get a bloody randomization script working properly after months of lead time. They were prob trying to boost IE numbers but unintentionally helped Chrome (which would be the last "browser" that MS would want to see succeed).

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Have the forums seen a swelling of trolling from say the MS viral marketing brigade? Your complaint may have been lost in a sea of noise?

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Tannin; said:
many, many unhappy Opera users posting there, and the mods are ruthlessly deleting all the threads.

I'm not going to get into the whole browser thing, but this kind of behavior is only worthy of contempt. Trying to sweep it under the rug isn't going to stop it. Vote with your browser.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I tend to agree with the close tab consistency making a noticeable usability difference.

There are options within firefox ....

Basic fundamental of good design, Blake: always put the same thing in the same place. There is a very useful Firefox add-in called something like HandyExtraStuff which provides the same functionality for Firefox. In fact, the close tab "X" location is another one of those classic "everything worked fine until Microsoft broke it" sagas, just like the email stuff Mercutio was talking about the other day.

LIST OF BROWSERS WITH THE CLOSE TAB "X" IN THE STANDARD POSITION
  • Opera 4.x
  • Opera 5.x
  • Opera 6.x
  • Opera 7.x
  • Opera 8.x
  • Opera 9.x
  • Opera 10.0 and 10.1 (optional)
  • Mozilla (all versions, from betas right through to 1.7.x
  • Seamonkey 1.x
  • Seamonkey 2.x
  • The Firefox betas
  • Firefox 1.x
  • Firefox 2.x (using plug-in)
  • Firefox 3.x (using plug-in)

LIST OF BROWSERS WHICH DO NOT ALLOW THE CLOSE TAB "X" TO BE ALWAYS IN THE SAME PLACE
  • Internet Explorer 7
  • Internet Explorer 8
  • Chrome
  • (if you exclude plug-ins) Firefox 2+
  • Opera 10.5x

That puts Opera 10.5 in pretty poor company, doesn't it.

Yup, you got it. Microsoft copied the Opera innovation of a tabbed browser (8 years behind Opera and about 3 years behind Mozilla), but messed it up. To their eternal discredit, the Firefox developers spinelessly copied Microsoft's second-rate copy of their own copy of Opera's 8-year-old idea. That was immediately after the IE7 betas came out and just before Firefox 2. I can accept that. I never though the Firefox designers were very good at user interfaces anyway - it remained my least-favourite non-IE browser for a long time, right up until Chrome came out. Chrome is even uglier and still more limited.) (Except that Firefox has a rich suite of plug-ins for those that are able to use them, and that makes quite a difference.)

The thing is, Opera 10.5x still provides the standard close tab functionality as an option on the prefferences menu, but the implementation is broken: the 'X" is missing. I accepted that in 10.5 as a teething bug in a major release, but it is still there in 10.51, and it beggars belief that they can't get a simple thing like that right.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Opera rushed 10.5 out before it was ready, Pradeep. They wanted it to be part of the browser ballot process.

Yes, Opera auto-updates, but you can turn it off. many Opera users have done just that, and are staying with 10.1 until they fix it or they get bored waiting and go to Firefox or some such.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Have the forums seen a swelling of trolling from say the MS viral marketing brigade? Your complaint may have been lost in a sea of noise?

Not to notice, Pradeep. It seems to be regular Opera users who are pissed off about having their browser broken. Apparently there are many other issues, but I haven't seen any for myself insofar as my 10.5x use has been entirely limited to trying to find a fix for the broken UI. Whether these other issues are genine bugs, bad design decisions, or just grumpy users with no clue, I can't say, but it rather looks as though 10.5x has a whole raft of problems.

This is actually something I half-expected when Opera bragged about the 10.5 release being by far the fastest pre-alpha to shipping code transition they had ever achieved.

Didn't Opera change their CEO a while back? Remember reading about it somewhere.

Yes, but a minor change insofar as he will still be associated with the company, and the new CEO has been with them for ages past - so no real import.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Pshaw! Yes, you could use the keyboard. You could carve steak with a spoon too. The point is, a browser (or indeed any other software) should provide the user with a choice of methods to do things, using the mouse and using the keyboard.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
At least you have the most kickass Javascript engine out there.

It makes for a noticeable interactivity improvement with my 4.5MB TiddlyWiki Notes file.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
No so, Gilbo. 10.10 has the old Opera Javascript engine (which seems to run any decently written page perfectly well) and 10.5x has a broken UI so I guess I'll be going to whatever Javascript engine SeaMonkey uses. (Same one as Firefox, no doubt.)

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
The only change I always make in about:config is to put a single "close tab" x in the top-right. It's right there, and it works. C'mon in, the water is fine.
I have no idea what you are taking about, Dave. Which browser are you speaking of?

It's been in Firefox for a while, certainly 3.6 which is what I'm using now. In about:config set browser.tabs.closeButtons to 3.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Normally, I'm sympathetic to Tannin's rants, but this time, he's jumped the shark.

Allowing each tab to have its own Close button is a huge improvement in UI clarity, which is why it has been adopted by virtually everything and is a standard for new software. It's a nice hybrid of MDI, but with a modern 'tab dock' to improve the visual collation of child windows.

... through the unlovely but overdue updates ...

I am very, very unhappy with 10.5x

I'll never find out unless and until the user interface is fixed

I'm sorry, but this is simply unacceptably poor user interface design. It is unusable.

Dump Opera and go to a browser that does have a non-broken interface with a single-location close-tab button. The obvious choice is SeaMonkey.

Still, it does at least have a user interface that isn't actally broken, and I'll take ugly-but-works over pretty-but-broken every time.

... why not just use Firefox or Chrome in the first place?

So, sooner or later, 10.10 will be targeted, and I'll need to migrate to another browser well before them.

Fix the interface!

Unfortunately, the new Opera interface is too significantly broken for us to be able to honestly recommend it

I had hoped and expected that the broken close-tab function was just an oversight which would be fixed in the first 10.5x bug-fix release. But it is still broken in 10.51

We'll give Opera a bit longer to see if they fix it, but if it is still broken in the next minor release, we will have to switch our standard browser over to SeaMonkey.

... it looks as though it's goodbye to Opera for me as well.

... do something to fix the broken 10.5x close tab function

Frankly, this post to the Opera forum just sounds like abusive trolling. I'm not really surprised that they deleted it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'll agree with time that having the x on each tab is a good default selection, as it makes the tab learning curve a little bit easier, but not being able to switch to the fore efficient single-x mode is really poor form.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
In Firefox, I have it set up so each tab has its own close X, and there is also the X at upper right in a static place. I use whichever makes sense. It would bother me not to have both options.

JKKJ

Learning Storage Performance
mubs, good idea. Is that available without an extension?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I either middle click tabs to close them or hit CTRL-w. Relying on UIs not to change is silly, every new version of software has a new UI. However, keyboard shortcuts are much more stable and don't change nearly as often. That is why I rely on keyboard shortcuts almost exclusively. I can probably navigate Windows faster with only a keyboard than most standard users can with a mouse.

ddrueding

Fixture
Middle-clicking links to open them in new tabs and middle clicking tabs to close them is my default usage, but I can't stand having an additional x on each tab. In addition to taking up space, it is too easy to hit the x when switching tabs.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I can't stand having an additional x on each tab. In addition to taking up space, it is too easy to hit the x when switching tabs.

I remove the X with Tab Mix plus in Firefox. I attached my Tab Mix Plus settings if anyone wants to see how weird it is.

Sol

Storage is cool
Nice tip ddrueding, I often close tabs I'm not looking at so the single button isn't ideal but, like timwhit, I use the middle mouse button so the button is just wasted space (Ironically that means that option number 2 in Firefox, which is identical to the scenario Tony is complaining about is pretty much perfect for me). Now I just have to figure out how to stop my Firefox install opening tabs to the right of the one I opened them from instead of to the right of the right-most open tab. I guess it would be handy if I had more than a screen of tabs open at once but I always forget and end up clicking the rightmost tab and then having to remember which tab I just had open so I can figure out where the tab I just opened is...

about:config is handy but needs, at the least, some comment lines. (Although it's still less random that about:robots...)

I prefer to have the ability to close each tab separately and it's more consistent with eclipse which I use as much as my browser at work. But I agree that Operas handling of the situation, both in the removal of threads and the removal of features, is pretty poor.

(I just checked because I wasn't sure but Safari doesn't let you have a singe close button. So you can add that one to your shit list and remove Firefox 3, and probably 2...)

Last edited:

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll agree with time that having the x on each tab is a good default selection, as it makes the tab learning curve a little bit easier, but not being able to switch to the fore efficient single-x mode is really poor form.

I can sympathize though it still requires UI design time to find the place to put that x-tab and make it look right.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I prefer to have the ability to close each tab separately and it's more consistent with eclipse which I use as much as my browser at work.

If people here had to use Eclipse as much as a web browser then they would have something real to complain about. Eclipse has got to be one of the worst resource hogs in existence. It makes Photoshop look downright well behaved.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
What does that mean in Oz? 'Cause that means something different in the US.

I believe he's using it in a context such as "Microsoft jumped the shark with the 360 launch", when they knowingly shipped out defective consoles in a desperate attempt to beat Sony to market.

Tony: interesting about the shipping before ready thing, if a browser ballot user does choose Opera they won't notice much difference from IE then :)

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
"Abusive teolling" indeed. Step outside and sat that again son. That is completely out of line. Disgusting thing to say.

Edit: try the experiment I wrote about. I dare you. If you have the courage, you will immediately discover that they have broken the UI - there is no sensible way to close a tab.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Honestly Tony it sounds like it's time for you to let Opera go. Nothing is worth stressing over, certainly not this. Doesn't Firefox fulfill your needs?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
"Abusive teolling" indeed. Step outside and sat that again son. That is completely out of line. Disgusting thing to say.

Edit: try the experiment I wrote about. I dare you. If you have the courage, you will immediately discover that they have broken the UI - there is no sensible way to close a tab.

10.5 isn't available for Linux yet, so I can't install it.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
How much money is there in browsers? Perhaps there are not enough efforts to improve them.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Happy Days? That was a crap show from the start. I watched maybe two episodes in '74.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
"Abusive teolling"

Just U wait until the real "Abusive teolling" begins about all the posts after #32 here :D The OT Police R in da haus.