PC Gaming = World of Suck

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have a whole month of no contracting work coming up and therefore free weekends, and I can't even find a good way to waste time.

:mad:

Get out there and start going on some dates with real women???

Last edited:

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Anyone have a Wii?

I saw something earlier today which suggests that some of the more active Wii games like Tennis and Boxing do a comparable or better job of burning calories than an aerobics class.

Interesting.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Anyone have a Wii?

I saw something earlier today which suggests that some of the more active Wii games like Tennis and Boxing do a comparable or better job of burning calories than an aerobics class.

Interesting.

Sounds like a great idea, Merc. You should buy a Wii.

Handruin

Administrator
If you can find one... Though it means waiting outside in a line of people to get one of the few the store receives.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Isn't it possible to pre-order one?

How long are these things going to be hard to get. It seems like Nintendo needs to step up the manufacturing.

Handruin

Administrator
I gave up looking for one months ago. Back when it came out I was one who waited in lines and never got one. I guess now I'm jaded so I no longer try. You might be able to pre-order somewhere now, but I haven't tried. They are still selling strong, and I'm not sure how much marketing this is.

Sol

Storage is cool
I managed to be the last or second last person in Cardiff to get a Wii on launch day (pre-ordered a couple of months ahead).

Wii tennis definately works up a sweat but most of the other Wii sports games just hurt various joints after a while, with the exception of boxing which is energetic enough but has controls which are pretty frustrating (so for every round you play you have to play 2 more to work off the agression).

Most of the third party games have failed to be particularly engaing for single player games though which is the only problem with the Wii at the moment. If you have a bunch of people to play with it's great fun, otherwise your pretty much left playing Zelda since nothing else really stacks up. Hopefully the next batch of Nintendo games will extend the options and by then maybe third party developers will have caught on and produced some titles that make use of the Wiis capabilities which aren't collections of party games.

Mercutio

Does Boxing require a second player?

I also saw something this morning about how the state of West Virginia is buying thousands of game systems so that they can use Dance Dance Revolution as a PE activity.
Thought that was interesting as well.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think the scarcity is a marketing ploy, actually.

If it is... it's working.

Actually, a lot of stores (mostly Target) had Wiis available Sunday... and they stayed available through yesterday. Supply is still tight, but it appears to be getting looser.

Personally, I'm going to hold out until the online retailers can get me one without tax.

Mercutio

I am fairly certain there are more blind, geeky nymphomaniacs in Oregon than there are in Indiana, even if they have to keep them in zoos.

Sol

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
Does Boxing require a second player?

No you can play against the Wii. It's actually kind of cool in a lot of ways you have the remote in one hand and the nunchuk in the other and you can do a straight punch, upercut, hook or whatever and actually aim it. Unfortunately you can't aim very well and you often get a backswing interpreted as a punch or vice-versa which sometimes makes playing the controls like a drum more effective than actually playing properly.

Once you get used to it you can do better, time your shots not to mess up the motion sensing and flick the controls just so to get the right type of punch roughly where you want it. But it's a shame that you have to play down to the controls as generally that isn't the case with the rest of the games.

As you aproach the pro levels you really start to wish the AI was as hampered by the controls as you are though. So as with almost all Wii games at the moment a second player is great if you can get one.

Sol

Storage is cool
Just got preorder pack for ET: Quakewars. Nothing overly exciting in there (I just get to choose my online ID early) but I figured with the ammount I played the original Enemy Teritory I should probably support this effort, hopefully this one will be just as good, or better since this time there should be some more support and hence more original campaigns.

Mercutio

I think I would buy a Wii if I ever saw one.

Also, the Bioshock demo was pretty neat, if you have a PC that is capable of actually running it.

Handruin

Administrator
I finally found them a couple weeks ago when a new best buy opened. I don't think people realized they opened and I lucked out during lunch when I saw 6 of them on the end-cap. I bought knowing how hard they are to find.

Handruin

Administrator
Oops, was a typo. I meant to say I bought one. I thought about buying them all, but don't really care about trying to profit from them. At most I'd sell them at cost to friends...oh well, they're gone. I go frequently during lunch so if I see another I could probably pick one up if someone was interested (provided they have more). The past 5 times I've been there they've not had any more...so I believe I did luck out that day.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Can someone explain why Nintendo doesn't ramp up production to meet demand? There has to be other people like Merc that don't want to wait in a long line to buy one of these things.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Can someone explain why Nintendo doesn't ramp up production to meet demand? There has to be other people like Merc that don't want to wait in a long line to buy one of these things.

$$$$$$$$$$

If you dump a lot on the market, the price goes down. Keep demand high, make more $$$$$$$$

Bozo :joker:

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
$$$$$$$$$$

If you dump a lot on the market, the price goes down. Keep demand high, make more $$$$$$$$

Bozo :joker:

I understand how supply and demand work. It doesn't always work that way when you have enough control over the market.

Why can you buy an iPod just about anywhere, but you can't get one for less than retail? Here's why. I see no reason why Nintendo can't do the same thing.

There is only one company that can produce the Nintendo Wii. Nintendo has pretty tight controls over where they can be sold and for what amount.

Mercutio

I want a Wii as a possible alternative to walking or other fitness things. They even made a Fitness title.
However, if they don't want my money, that's their problem.

Handruin

Administrator
I think Nintendo is trying to pump these things out as fast as they can. According to xbit and other websites, the Wii will soon have sold more units than the xbox. This is great considering the xbox 360 has had an entire year or more on the market compared to the Wii.

Mercutio

I saw it on a student's laptop, but I didn't know it was Steam title, and I won't install anything with SecuROM on my PCs.

Dammit. The demo is sooooo cool.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Thats odd, I have Bioshock and AVG and AVG didn't complain. Hopefully game copy world will have a no CD patch soon...

You can get Bioshock via steam without secure rom, or Circuit City has it for $10 less than everyone else.

That said I wish there was more time in the day, game kicks ass. Demented and twisted on a level I haven't seen sense American McGee's Alice, I might not leave the house this weekend. The game is very obviously a port and won't allow higher resolutions or insane graphics levels like say, half life 2 EP1 or cinematic mod. I feel a little cheated but it will run on older hardware fine as long as your video card meets their specs. Shoot the bastard that decided he wanted to reserve certain keys and not allow you to change them like, oh EVERY other game out there. This had me cursing as I remapped keys for my nostromo.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It seems 2k is listening a little to the community, but it still isn't ideal.

Thats interesting, I wonder how they consider removing it from a computer? If I just format the drive and reinstall it didn't phone home to inform them about the uninstall...

Only real solution will come from the warez community.

Mercutio

I haven't tried this but I like the concept.

Saw that on BoingBoing.net the other day. I must admit that it made me laugh.

Re: Bioshock moronic install options.

I'm a grown up and I can afford to buy games whenever I feel like it, only now I completely doing want to because installing a PC game nowadays is like taking a big ol' consptipated broccoli-the-night-before crap all over a computer.

Consoles are even worse because, duh, they're consoles and therefore saddled with un-fun sorts of games and the most god-awful gamepad control systems known to man, not to mention the overabundance of non-Western influences. Also, one of the big names in console gaming is a name that can only be uttered in the most vile of curses.

I think that gaming companies in general just hate money.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mercutio said:
Also, one of the big names in console gaming is a name that can only be uttered in the most vile of curses.

I can't decide whether you are talking about Micro$oft or Sony: They both have their share of detractors ...