Photo editing software for Windows 7?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi
Anyone have a software package that works with Windows 7 that does basic photo cropping and editing, without having to put an Adobe product on my computer?

Free is always good.

Thanks in advance.

GS

Stereodude

Not really a
Gimp is crap because it pretends to be like Photoshop but it sucks at it. Paint.net is okay because it doesn't pretend to be some giant, wonderful, powerful image editing software. It's reasonably basic, but works well.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I've tried GIMP, and just installed Paint.net yesterday. One thing which surprised me about Paint-net was the very small footprint. Even with 60 additional plug-ins installed, it only took 32.6 MB (compared to 251 MB for GIMP. GIMP does more, but it seems Paint.net can do quite a bit of the basic editing most people might do.

I've never tried Photoshop so I can't say how it compares to the other two image editors. I might give the older, "free" version which was made available from Adobe a few days ago a try, but I'll bet it can't do much more than the most recent releases of GIMP.

BTW, what's the difference between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements? Both are available for download on Adobe's site.

Somewhat relevant to this thread: 4GB Patch. If you have a 32-bit image editor which you've gotten used to using it might make sense to apply the 4 GB patch to it. I still use the really old version of iPhotoPlus which came with one of my scanners years ago for quick, simple edits. Normally this program won't use more than about 1.7 GB of RAM after which it gives an "out of memory" notice. With the patch I can use up to 3.9 GB when running under Windows 7 64. This is helpful if you need to open a few large images (or more than about 25 8-megapixel photos) at the same time.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
jtr, have you used the 4GB patch? Does it work?
Yes, I've tried it on the aforementioned iPhotoPlus software, and it does work. It allows a 32-bit program to access the entire 4 GB memory space under a 64-bit O/S. In case there are any issues, the original executable is saved when the patch is applied.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I also use paint.net but I use basic mspaint.exe far more.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, I've tried it on the aforementioned iPhotoPlus software, and it does work. It allows a 32-bit program to access the entire 4 GB memory space under a 64-bit O/S. In case there are any issues, the original executable is saved when the patch is applied.
I wonder why this wasn't found before. Then this should also help that other memory hog - the internet browser. Firefox has stopped 64-bit development. For those who use the browsers heavily, this should help.

Thanks for posting it here!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Now you all have me thinking. Anyone know why 7 lists Photoshop 7 as not compatible? Is it this memory issue?
I looked through the linked stuff from MSFT and it wasn't helpful.

I don't often use Photoshop, but I'm used to having it around. It also worked fine until one of the new 'updates', then this message came up. Only problem is it was so long since the last time I used it, I don't remember which update caused it;-(

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
MS paint works for the basic stuff, though the controls seem really funky, and cleaning up slight out of focus or movement caused blur I can't find.
It's almost like they hide all the controls to make stuff harder to find.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It is free so that legit CS2 owners have access since they are retiring the activation. However, there is nothing stopping anyone from using it as far as I can see.

LunarMist

I think it is free because it only works up to XP or something like that?

The retail disc PS CS2 version I have works in 7, though there are a few limitations. Why would the Ret version not work?

LunarMist

Anyone used C3 or C6? Do they work with 7's current updates?

CS6 works of course, as Win 7 was the current OS at time of release. There might be some memory limitations with CS3. I prefer CS5 over CS6. Are you using PS for RAW conversion?

LunarMist

It's more pointlessly complicated and buggy, and they ruined the crop tool. :mad:
It reminds me of Office in that it keeps getting worse. :(

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
They claim they now ask for user input (especially from pro users) and incorporate the feedback into new releases. I guess there is a communication gap somewhere. Sigh.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm trying to get an old flatbed scanner working on my new system and run into a snag.

The scanner is a HP Scanjet IIcx (SCSI, 8.5"x14" real glass scan bed, 35.5 lbs, made in USA) attached to an Adaptec 2906 PCI SCSI card.

The scanner/driver/software are pre-winXP vintage but XP-SP2 detects the SCSI card and I can simply go into MS paint and acquire an image from the scanner and save it no problem.

But now I built a new system (check sig) that uses win7pro x64. I believe I have the hardware drivers installed correctly as windows "sees" the SCSI card and scanner in device manager.

Device manager screenshot.PNG

Windows can't add the device because there is no software driver. Twain driver?

I downloaded Vuescan and it allowed me to scan and acquire an image but when I tried to save the scan it puts a "By Vuescan now" watermark in every square inch of the scan. They want $40 for the basic version of the software. I can buy a new crap scanner with win7 x64 drivers for that (or close).

Any suggestions on FREE scanner software that will see my Scanjet iicx? Or way to get it working? I tried downloading some paint and photo editor programs but the acquire image is greyed out because the scanner isn't a "device" (like a printer) that windows sees.

Thanks in advance.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Yup. My Epson Perfection 2480 Photo does not have W7 drivers/sw. It works beautifully for my needs, and I didn't want to buy a new one or try Vuescan. I created an XP VM, installed the driver & sw in it and use the scanner inside the VM. Works like a charm. It's USB, but I'm sure the SCSI will work inside a VMWare VM.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice

Yup. My Epson Perfection 2480 Photo does not have W7 drivers/sw. It works beautifully for my needs, and I didn't want to buy a new one or try Vuescan. I created an XP VM, installed the driver & sw in it and use the scanner inside the VM. Works like a charm. It's USB, but I'm sure the SCSI will work inside a VMWare VM.

Yeah I was thinking of "xp-mode" but was hoping to avoid it for simplicity sake. Does anybody know how Vuescan works? Some proprietary twain driver? Hard to believe Vuescan is the only software out there that works? Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
IIRC, VueScan includes it's own scanner drivers, and only requires direct access to the device...

I know SANE supports your scanner, so unless you're willing to run Linux or find a Windows application that uses SANE as a backend on Windows, I think you're out of luck. (Most applications just use TWAIN since it's a common method to access scanner devices easily, and it pushes device access onto the manufacturer of the device, rather than to the application developer).

Mind you, it's stories like this that makes you wonder how many working devices are simply thrown out, because new versions of Windows don't support the device, or the manufacturer doesn't want to support the device in newer versions of Windows, (because the manufacturer wants you to purchase new hardware).

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
IIRC, VueScan includes it's own scanner drivers, and only requires direct access to the device...

I know SANE supports your scanner, so unless you're willing to run Linux or find a Windows application that uses SANE as a backend on Windows, I think you're out of luck. (Most applications just use TWAIN since it's a common method to access scanner devices easily, and it pushes device access onto the manufacturer of the device, rather than to the application developer).

Mind you, it's stories like this that makes you wonder how many working devices are simply thrown out, because new versions of Windows don't support the device, or the manufacturer doesn't want to support the device in newer versions of Windows, (because the manufacturer wants you to purchase new hardware).

I'm can barely run Windows let alone Linux. LOL. So I'm probably SOL.

I saw SANE during my google'ing and I thought THAT'S IT! Oh wait, no windows version.

So twain drivers are vendor specific? HP writes a twain for their hardware. Canon writes a twain for their hardware etc?

As far as good hardware having to be thrown out I believe it. Apparently there was a x64 driver for my Adaptec 2906 SCSI card in Vista, but Microsoft took it out of win7 and Adaptec has no 64-bit drivers for legacy hardware. I had to download the Vista x64 drivers from some link in a message board somewhere. I wonder if MS took out the driver (3 files 100kb size) at Adaptec's request?

This scanner was originally attached to a 386 machine via a 16-bit ISA SCSI card, so It's a miracle it still works at all.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Are any of the 827,000 "Drivers-R-US" sites on the internet any good/reliable or are they all malware/crapware distribution sites?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
So twain drivers are vendor specific? HP writes a twain for their hardware. Canon writes a twain for their hardware etc?
Yep, just gfx card manufacturers write their own OpenGL drivers, sound card manufacturers write their own drivers, etc.

As far as good hardware having to be thrown out I believe it. Apparently there was a x64 driver for my Adaptec 2906 SCSI card in Vista, but Microsoft took it out of win7 and Adaptec has no 64-bit drivers for legacy hardware. I had to download the Vista x64 drivers from some link in a message board somewhere. I wonder if MS took out the driver (3 files 100kb size) at Adaptec's request?
IIRC, MS wouldn't sign drivers for hardware less than SCSI U320 or SAS on the SCSI side of things, with Windows 7 / Server 2008.

This scanner was originally attached to a 386 machine via a 16-bit ISA SCSI card, so It's a miracle it still works at all.
Might be time to upgrade... Both Epson and Canon have decent flatbed scanners for ~US$100... (most with 4800dpi scan resolution, which IIRC the Scanjet II's were only 400dpi).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I really like Canon LiDE scanners. If you're used to a 15kg monster I suspect you'll be quite happy moving up regardless.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I second the Canon's recommendation. I currently have an Epson all-in-one (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), and while the flatbed scanner is excellent, Epson's software takes some time to get used to.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I really like Canon LiDE scanners. If you're used to a 15kg monster I suspect you'll be quite happy moving up regardless.

I second the Canon's recommendation. I currently have an Epson all-in-one (Print/Copy/Scan/Fax), and while the flatbed scanner is excellent, Epson's software takes some time to get used to.

You are both right of course.

The thing is, when I really thought about it, I realized that I don't need a scanner. I just thought it would be nice to be able to re-claim some older hardware and have the option when and if I needed it. It was an interesting and frustrating project.

I did find the old, original scanner drivers/installation program but I pretty sure the installer is 16-bit which is a non-starter on win7x64. If I thought the drivers/program themselves were 32-bit, I'd dig around some more and see if I could get a 32-bit version of instashield (or whatever its called) to work, but it's just not worth the time/effort.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I use Fast Stone Image Viewer to crop and edit, resize for the web.

+1 for FastStone Image Viewer. A truly excellent product that should be in our Toolbox section. I've rarely seen a software tool that had so much thought put into usability. My daughter is a long-time Photoshop user, but really likes this for browsing/previewing.

The fact that's it's free is a bonus. I found it when looking for an image resizer with an efficient workflow - they have another product that does exactly that.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The thing is, when I really thought about it, I realized that I don't need a scanner.

Just so. I came to the same realisation a while back. Now, whenever I need to scan something (about twice a year, maybe, typically a document I have to sign and email or post) I just take a photograph and send that instead. Easy.