Proposed NAS build

Handruin

Administrator
That's frustrating. I'm surprised you didn't go through the exercise to replace a drive before putting it into production.

Stereodude

Not really a
That's frustrating. I'm surprised you didn't go through the exercise to replace a drive before putting it into production.
Really? This is the first time I've used a SAS expander and backplane. For something in my basement in a home use the thought never crossed my mind to test that.

Clearly buying cheap'ish enterprise hardware and playing mishmash with it has it's limitations.

Handruin

Administrator
Well...when I build an array that has a large quantity of spindles, I tend to test the very-likely scenario of a drive replacement before actually putting data on it. I may also be biased and conditioned to things like this being in the enterprise storage industry.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a
I know on Synology NAS, the lights are not actually on the surface. There is a plastic lightpipe beaming the LED at each drive tray position.

Stereodude

Not really a
The rebuild is in progress and the GUI is reporting about a 10hr rebuild time.
FWIW, the rebuild completed successfully without incident. It took 14hours and 30 seconds to complete. I used the machine normally during that time so it's possible that my playing media files from it may have slowed it slightly.