Quality 24"-28" LCD monitors

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
It's been a while since I've seen a thread on LCD monitors so I'll start a new one.

Over the next several months I will be upgrading my ancient computer and monitor. I'll be upgrading my monitor first as I can simply plug it in and enjoy it. Usage will be Web surfing, Light Gaming (mostly MMOs) and maybe watching DVDs/TV if I can get a QUALITY display with the necessary inputs and outputs.

Super-wide budged of $350-1200. Don't need super-bleeding-edge, but I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars more for extra quality and features as I'll have this monitor for a long time.

I'm going to list all the ideal specs I can think of. Please mention any more "must-haves" I should be looking for. It's probably impossible to get all of these but the more I can get the better.

Ideal specs:

- 25.5" to 28" ideal, but at least 24". No 30". No 2560x1600. No 2560x1440. No 1920x1080.
- 1920x1200 res.
- 1:1 pixel mapping option. I'd rather have black bars than a stretched image. Both options best.
- Lots of inputs/outputs. More = Better. DVI/VGA/HDMI/DP/Composite/Component. analog/digital sound out.
- Lots of OSD options/setup features/calibrations/etc.
- Memory card reader and/or USB hub nice but not mandatory.
- Digital/HD/OTA TV tuner. Less important but welcome, if it's available on a quality computer screens.
- Thin bezel.
- Major quality brand, NEC, HP, Dell, Samsung, etc, preferred, but will look at others.
- Quality dealer with EXCELLENT customer service and generous return policy.
- Good Warranty.

Overall picture quality > features > performance > price

This: SAMSUNG P2770HD @ $400.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001392

Has (1) 27" screen, (2) Lots of inputs and (3) (HDTV) tuner and is a (4) Quality brand. But I wonder if this monitor is a compromise between a computer and TV screen. And only 1080 height. I don't want to compromise screen quality just to watch TV. This needs to be a computer monitor first.

This: HP LP2475w @ $590.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176104

Has (1) Quality IPS panel, (2) Lots of inputs, (3) 1920x1200 screen, (4) USB hub (5) Quality brand. But is only 24".

Are these pricey monitors, such as this Viewsonic and NEC really that much better then something like the HP above. Or is the cost simply due to larger size.
Viewsonic:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116422&Tpk=VP2655wb
NEC:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002457

Does anything exist that's close or better than the HP (and its feature-set) above but with a 27" (or so) screen size.

Much Thanks, Again, to all of you.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I would go with the HP ZR24w instead of the LP2475W. Much cheaper. I don't know about NewEgg, but here I can have it for ~475$. Prices in the U.S. are usually 10-15% lower.

Dell makes a nice 24" IPS LCD too. The one I own, actually (Ultrasharp U2410). It has a 1920x1200 panel. Bt it is often a lot more expensive than the HP. It rarely falls below 500$.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
NEC 90 series are really good, but their consistency has been slipping. Some of the other brands use their panels in lower-priced units.

It goes without saying that the store should have a good return policy.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
NEC doesn't make panels. It's likely to be an LG H-IPS panel.

I very much doubt that there are two manufacturers of 25.5" 1920x1200 IPS panels, so as Lunar implies, the NEC and Viewsonic probably came from the same factory. Viewsonic quotes 5mS rather than 8mS, so their panel may be newer.

I don't mean to imply that you don't get something for the extra $240 the NEC will cost you, although it's probably hard to justify for home usage.

Samsung also makes a P2770H without the TV tuner, but it may be impossible to find in the US - the main difference is supposedly that it's a 2mS unit rather than 5mS (I haven't checked). The TV version would be fine, as long as you don't mind the fact that it's only a TN panel and will therefore have narrow viewing angles.

LunarMist

NEC doesn't make panels. It's likely to be an LG H-IPS panel.

I very much doubt that there are two manufacturers of 25.5" 1920x1200 IPS panels, so as Lunar implies, the NEC and Viewsonic probably came from the same factory.

To go another step up, the Eizo uses a similar panel. I was planning to buy a CG243W this summer, but then I read about the new CG245W. :cyclopsani:

LunarMist

:skepo: I bet that's a highly affordable monitor. :erm:

It is the same as the

I know the name, but miss the relevance to the fruit issues.
Presumably there is no good way to preserve bananas other than cooking or dehydration.
:smurf:

LunarMist

Of course it outside of the declared range.
It looks like the CG245W is same display as the CG243W but with the built-in calibrator. I'm not sure how effective that is, but why not get the newer model for the same price?

Stereodude

Not really a
Of course it outside of the declared range.
It looks like the CG245W is same display as the CG243W but with the built-in calibrator. I'm not sure how effective that is, but why not get the newer model for the same price?
Yeah, but the CG243W is almost $2500, so I stand by my earlier comment of it not being affordable.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Snowhiker:

I have, for a long time, been looking at monitors, features, and sizes. I'm not going to blow smoke, and tell you I like any of your choices. Here are my observations on the market:

Computer monitors seem to be price fixed. In other words when you start getting larger then 22", they become very expensive for what you are actually getting. Televisions are a FAR better value, but, not at the size you want. IIRC, to get a 10 bit panel, you need to get at least 120HZ refresh rate.

Also, not only are the computer monitors expensive, but, they seem to be poorer quality screens, with less HZ, and less color depth, not to mention they seem to break more often then the TV's.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

380. shipped.

32 inch, but, only 60 HZ:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
3X HDMI

I find your size is going to limit the features you are going to get.

I'd be looking at Sony or Vizio XVT's 120-240 HZ TV's, in 37-42", because that seems to be the best value area.

LunarMist

AFAIK the LCD TVs all utilize 1080 short screens, which were rejected by the OP (rightly so for most uses). Are there any with more pixels?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Pretty much my point, LM.

The set of requirements aren't industry standard, and, he's going to pay an extreme premium for it, if he can even find what he thinks he wants.

LunarMist

Unfortunately the industry standard has gone down the crapper to 16:9, which is awful for productivity. :rabbit:

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Feedback

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm afraid LunarMist is correct in saying the industry "has gone down the crapper to 16:9".

MBA big-wig: "It's cheaper."

Engineer: "But it looks like crap. Has less features. And build to last.....3 weeks."

MBA bw: "But we'll be favorably positioned against are rivals."

Engineer: "But it looks like crap. Has less features. And build to last.....3 weeks."

MBA bw: "We'll sell lots of these suckers."

MBA bw: "Lets got with the changes."

Engineer: "/facepalm."

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
More info.

Thanks again for all the good info.

I would go with the HP ZR24w instead of the LP2475W. Much cheaper.

Dell makes a nice 24" IPS LCD too. The one I own, actually (Ultrasharp U2410). It has a 1920x1200 panel. But it is often a lot more expensive than the HP. It rarely falls below 500$.

I'm actually more interested in the LP2475 because of it added inputs and willing to pay for it. But it came out in 2008 so I'd like newer/better if I can find it. The Dell Ultrasharp 2410 looks like it has the most features so far, and it's cost fits in my budget. The 2709w has a VA panel, so it's not "as good" as the Ultrasharp but it has the size/inputs/features I want.

Now, I would rather give my money to just about any other company than Dell, but I'll buy Dell if it have all/most of the things I want.

I definitely need to research the Dells more.

Samsung also makes a P2770H without the TV tuner, but it may be impossible to find in the US - the main difference is supposedly that it's a 2mS unit rather than 5mS (I haven't checked). The TV version would be fine, as long as you don't mind the fact that it's only a TN panel and will therefore have narrow viewing angles.

Available at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001379
I've looked at that unit but like you said it's a TN panel and only 1080.

Stereodude is definitely correct on this point: the Eizo is way, Way, WAY out of my price range.

The set of requirements aren't industry standard, and, he's going to pay an extreme premium for it, if he can even find what he thinks he wants.

LOL....I know what I want, but I probably won't be able to find it. Or at least ALL of it.

Now if the Dell 2709w used an IPS panel I would probably be buying it now. But I'm just not sure yet. AFAIK. TN < VA < IPS so that's something to consider compromising on.

Keep the comments coming.

LunarMist

The $600-700 range HPs and Dells with "X"-IPS panels are fine for most use. Unfortunately there is often some inconsistency from monitor to monitor and within parts of the panel. A no-fault return policy would be the most important factor to me. :alien:

Last edited:

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Snowhiker:

Suggestion:

Go down to Costco, and buy a 32-47" Vizio XVT or Sony TV that fits your budget, with the inputs and outputs you want. You'll probably have to settle for 1900 X 1080, but, it's not THAT bad, trust me.

If you don't like it, return it.

I'm just really sorry it took me so long to go to the Vizio XVT 37". I daily type on it, next to a Samsung 21.5", and, everytime I look at the Samsung, and think of what I paid for it, compared to the quality of the TV, it makes me sick how much time I wasted.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Wide vs. Standard gamut

Wide vs. Standard gamut.

It seems that wide gamut is only good for "photo editing pros" who have color managed apps and such. While everybody else is stuck with over saturated colors and sun-burned people. Overblown concern or something else to consider?

Seems the Dell U2410 and HP LP2475w use the same panel and are wide gamut.

Sigh. I'd love a 27", IPS, 1920x1200, Standard gamut monitor with the options the U2410 has.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
sigh.

Sigh.

Seems that the only "quality" monitors between 24 and 30" are close to/over $1000 and are only 25.5" anyways.

I was even seriously considering getting a Dell Ultrasharp 2709 (VA panel) as it's large and has plenty of inputs/features but it's no longer made/sold by Dell. You click view inventory and it just lists a bunch of "Dell Outlet Monitors" you click on the 2709 and view inventory and it just takes you back to the Outlet Monitors page. :bibber:

So I think I might just buy a cheap TN monitor that's in the 27-28" size and I can hope I can be semi-happy with it.

/dream

- 28" IPS panel
- 1920 x 1440 (4:3)
- Standard Gamut
- Plenty of features/inputs/outputs
- Under $1200

/wake up

Thanks again for the replies

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
You'll find the 32"-42" TV's, like the Vizio SVT, and some Sonys, 120hz or better, have the best screens, 10 bit, IIRC around. MUCH better then the computer monitors, at least from my side by side comparisions, and, with many more inputs.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Will check out TVs TOO.

You'll find the 32"-42" TV's, like the Vizio SVT, and some Sonys, 120hz or better, have the best screens, 10 bit, IIRC around. MUCH better then the computer monitors, at least from my side by side comparisions, and, with many more inputs.

I'll check out some TVs and see if anything interest me, but 42" would be way too big for my desk. I will probably have to research some 27" TV-as-monitor threads, etc. And I'd have a decent TV either way.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I just got back from Costco, and I was thinking of your post.
The 24-27" Samsungs they had were expensive, and, the picture quality while very good, pales next to even the 60HZ VXT Vizios and Sony's, in 27-32". The TV's are built for much more abuse, heavier, more solid,and, the 32" side lit Vizio looked really brilliant in the row of tvs. Not to mention I want at least 3 HDMI inputs, and the extra 100-200 starts making the TV's look by far the best value. Also, the smaller, lower 60 HZ are cheaper, cost wise, yet would deliver a brilliant monitor. None of the monitors was over 60hz, and paying what they are asking just doesn't make any sense.

For the longest time I was worried about the limited warranty on the TV's, compared to the monitors, which are lifetime. After finally springing for the Vizio XVT, mainly due to David's suggestion of using a TV as your center monitor, I just wish I would have done it sooner.

I was looking at these items:

This one might be the best bet for you size and price wise:

The Bravia, even in 720p, looked VERY good:

Finally, here's a cheap version, if you want to gamble on a 28"

LunarMist

I looked at some TVs yesterday. Crazy bright, overly contrasty and oversaturated colors are not what I would want in a monitor for computer use. I admit they look nice for watching videos. :)
Code:

Stereodude

Not really a
You can always tune the colors and brightness down. The TV makers have done marketing research that shows people favor the brighter TV with more vibrant colors over one that's set correctly when comparing in store, and as such they're in torch mode with the saturation cranked when they're on display in stores.

LunarMist

/dream

- 28" IPS panel
- 1920 x 1440 (4:3)
- Standard Gamut
- Plenty of features/inputs/outputs
- Under $1200

/wake up

Thanks again for the replies

I'd pay $3000 for something like that on the spot.

LunarMist

What is the return policy on the HP? I don't buy monitors from NE.

jemcgarvey

What is this storage?
I will always recommend the latest Dell 30", or an older one to save money. It may be bigger than you're asking, but once you go big, you never go back!