RAID JDOG

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
If several drives are connected as JDOG RAID can they be pulled and data recovered individually? I'm thinking no from some discussions years ago, but maybe there are some options. Thanks.

ddrueding

Fixture
Assuming you mean JBOD ;)

Files can be recovered from individual drives, but there are no guarantees which files are on the good/bad drives, and any files that split a drive are certainly toast.

This uncertainty makes it really not dependable as a redundant array. Best to assume that the good drives are re-usable, but the data can't be relied upon.

LunarMist

I'm trying to figure out how to increaSe caPACITY AND NOT ADD drive letters. My head is about to expLODE.

ddrueding

Fixture
The kludgy thing to do it mount drives as directories off an existing drive structure. I am not a fan of this technique. The most straightforward thing to do is use RAID arrays. You can go for JBOD, just be sure you have a backup. And if you are going to be sure to have a backup anyway, just go with RAID-0. Sure the chances of failure are higher, but still within reason, and you have backups, no?

LunarMist

The backup is the same size as the data of course. For example for a 2TB drive there is another 2TB backing that up. The problem is that I have to replace both of those drives with 3TB drives (~$350) just to gain 1TB of usable capacity. Now if I want to add 2TB of capacity that would require swapping out 4 drives and cost $700. The efficiency is appalling if I want to continue with the same number of drives and drive letters. RAID 5 or 6 does practically nothing for me other that consolidate drive letters. It wastes the space of at least two drives (one in the data array and one in the similiar backup array) and requires good controllers, complicated external connections, and only works well with certain drives.

ddrueding

Fixture
I never mentioned RAID-5 or RAID-6. Those, as you say, waste space. I mentioned RAID-0, which is not far from JBOD in terms of reliability and much faster. You still get to use all your space and consolidate drive letters. The only drawbacks are that you need to use drives of the same size and avoid WD 5400RPM drives.

LunarMist

Thanks. So can I RAID 0 the Samsung or Hitachi advancing format drives in XP64 or will performance really suck from the alignment?

I suppose it would be possible to break the SFF connector outside of the computer into an external case but would it have to be running when the computer boots?

ddrueding

Fixture
I have 2 6-disk RAID-0 arrays with Hitachi 3TB drives, and I get 500MB/s+ read and write. Better than single drives, that's for sure.

LunarMist

But Hitachi is going of business. What will you do to replace dead drives or can you mix brands?

LunarMist

And what if the whole PC blows? How do you access the data on another system?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Two RAID 0 arrays backing each other is simillar to RAID 0+1. Reliability-wise, you would be far safer with RAID 1+0. It was wiser ten years ago and that hasn't changed nowadays. Not harder for the controller either. No additional wasted space compared to what you already do (50% waste).

LunarMist

Two RAID 0 arrays backing each other is simillar to RAID 0+1. Reliability-wise, you would be far safer with RAID 1+0. It was wiser ten years ago and that hasn't changed nowadays. Not harder for the controller either. No additional wasted space compared to what you already do (50% waste).

How is that the same? RAID is not a backup. When data is accidentally deleted or overwritten you are screwed. You can't power the other drives down 23.5 hours per day either.

ddrueding

Fixture
So long as the two RAID-0 arrays are on different computers with a time-delayed (or manual) backup, it is far more secure than 10 or 01.

LunarMist

That's exactly the kind of complexity and mediocre performance I'd like to avoid.

LunarMist

No. How do you get 500 MB/sec. backups between two computers? I'm not happy with the GbE.

ddrueding

Fixture
GbE is fine if you can get it set right. If one of your computers has two GbE NICs on it, the easiest way is to bridge them in Windows and then connect one using a crossover directly to the other.

"Rest of Network" -> "Regular Cable" -> "Computer with 2 NICs bridged" -> "Crossover Cable" -> "Other Computer"

This gives both machines quick access to everything else, but super quick access to each other.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
It is impossible to get 500MB/s on a single or even on two combined GbE connexions. A single GbE link won't go over ~100MB/s.

LunarMist

What do you use for backups now?

Internally there are 6 main data drives (2TB), not to mention the SSDs. There are 3x 2TB internal backup drives and 3x 2TB external eSATA backup drives. The externals are connected individually to a SIL 3114-based card and housed in a small 4-bay Addonics enclosure that is controlled by an X10 remote. (One of the 4x 2B drives is for archives and not backed up live.) The 3x 2TB internal backup drives are connected to various ports that support the hot swapoing, i.e., either motherboard add-in controllers or the LSI 9211-8i controller. The power to the three internal backup drives is controlled with a switch on the case that was originally intended for the controlling a goofy light. (For the electrodudes: There is a relay with a simple timing circuit and some noise/spike mitigation.)

When I feel the urgent need to back up I turn on the internal drives with the left small finger and turn on the external drives with my right index finger on the X10 remote adhered to the leg of the desk. After the drives are recognized I run the six SmartSync profiles all at the same time. After sync is finished I flush the disks and turn off the backup drives after 30 sec. or so.

The traditional incremental/differential backups are done about once a week with 2.5" drives and stored in my work briefcase or the old outside car. I ship drives or take the files to another state when I visit every few months.

ddrueding

Fixture
Sounds pretty good. You could keep the two RAID-0 arrays on the same computer as well, but I have had a PSU go ballistic and take everything with it before. I like having the two copies of the data on two different machines. Better protection against viruses as well.

LunarMist

I don't think it would be a great idea to have a backup array on another computer, becauce I might get the two computers computers confused and change files on the backup system accidentally. That would be chaos. :)

Maybe I should make two RAID 0 arrays, one in the computer and one external.

ddrueding

Fixture
I avoid confusion by having one drive be letter "z" and the other be drive letter "y". The letter is the same no matter which computer you are on. Z is the master and Y is the backup, even if you are working on the computer with the Y drive on it, you still work on the Z drive. I was toying with the idea of removing any drive letters at all from the Y drive, but my backup software doesn't like that.

LunarMist

For me Z: is always the RAMDisk and Y: is a fast SSD for e-mail, web and temp files. I understand what you mean though.

LunarMist

Arrrghh! This is not going well. So far I found that the one enclosure labeled as JDOG is just two separate drives in Windows whereas I thought it was one volume. :mad: Then one of the newer Samsung 2TB hard drives I was moving around in the system was destroyed. There was some smoke and the dreaded burning smell. :( I hosed the drive off in the shower and trash-canned it.

ddrueding

Fixture
JBOD is "just a bunch of drives". If you manage the RAID arrays in Windows you will have an easier time of it. It does support JBOD (spanning) and RAID-0 (striping) in all versions that can handle dynamic disks.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Dynamic Disks is greyed out for USB 3.0. :(
IIRC, that's because Windows treats all USB drives as not having the option to have a MBR or GPT. eg they should only contain a single filesystem, like a floppy drive!
If you use a 3rd party partitioning tool, just construct a GPT on the drive, but define no actual partitions. Get Windows to remount the drive, and hopefully the option should appear.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
IIRC, that's because Windows treats all USB drives as not having the option to have a MBR or GPT. eg they should only contain a single filesystem, like a floppy drive!
If you use a 3rd party partitioning tool, just construct a GPT on the drive, but define no actual partitions. Get Windows to remount the drive, and hopefully the option should appear.
Ignore this, as it appears to only work on Firewire connected drives and not USB drives... (Something in the USB stack prevents Windows from seeing USB drives as "fixed" drives, so disable the dynamic disk option. But with a quick regedit, you can tell the Windows Firewire stack to see all firewire drives as "fixed" disks therefore enabling dynamic disks with firewire devices).

For those interested for firewire, goto:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmadmin\Parameters

Then setting the following key: "EnableDynamicConversionFor1394" to 1 allows firewire devices to be turned into dynamic disks.

LunarMist

Heh. No more Firewire for me after the disasters in 2003. :(

I replaced a pair of the 2TB old-school 7200 RPM Hibachis with one each of the 7200 RPM and 5400 RPM 3TB drives. 2.6 TB was copied in under six hours so at least something was accomplished. Now I have been working with the external backup eSATA drives on the old SIL 3114, which sounds like something Santilli would use. :) I tried the RAID 0 mode and also the Windows software RAID 0. It is straightforward to import the array from different controllers and into another computer, so I will go that route. It is faster with one drive on another eSATA controller. I'm not sure about striping a pair of the primary data drives yet.

LunarMist

I can't do that because the controller has the two SFF-8087 ports, not SATA ports, and I will only be using two of the four drives from one SFF-8087 port externally. The other six are used internally.

LunarMist

We rebotted numerous times, but the array does not work correctly with the drives powered down. It is impractical to say the least. :(