Samsung intro 2-platters 2.5" 1TB drive.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Source

Samsung's Spinpoint M8, which consists of two 500 gigabyte platters, provides users with one terabyte storage space. The form factor support the 9.5mm height to comfortably fit in mobile computing applications.

[...]

Spinpoint M8 is currently in mass production and available worldwide with the 1TB drive at an MSRP of $129.00.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I want to like this, but it is a trick to get me to purchase something that will eventually be branded a Seagate product. Work is progressing apace on my 1TB MRAOPCR. With only a few minor breakthroughs in teeny-tiny needle technology, my revolutionary 1TB digital storage system will soon weigh less than the average locomotive and might be man-portable by 2019!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Stick one of those little MiniPCIe drives in and there wouldn't even be a subjective weight difference.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I want to like this, but it is a trick to get me to purchase something that will eventually be branded a Seagate product.
Would you rather get something that will eventually be branded a Western Digital product?

It seems to me that you can't win in the spinning disk game.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Woo Hoo! :cheers: Finally. :mrgrn:

I wonder if WD will be next.

LunarMist

I was on holiday travel for the last two weeks. More about that later...

LunarMist

They are listed, but out of stock. The price is very low, though I wonder if it will change when the drives are in stock. Maybe I should order four drives and expect to receive 2-3 good ones?

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Lunar, find a good supplier. This is crucial! You need to buy your drives from a supply chain that doesn't mishandle the units, and which knows how to package and ship thetm properly.

I would rather buy Western bloody Digital drives that have been handled correctly than Samsung drives that have been abused by careless and/or ignorant warehouse staff - and I really mistrust anything with a WD brand these days, so that maybe shows you how important this is.

Handled properly, you would expect a failure rate of ~1 per thousand if we are talking Samsung drives. Don't go looking for the lowest price, look for the best handling/quality. It really, really matters.

LunarMist

Unfortunately I don't think Samsung drives are retailed in the US.

LunarMist

The drives are still backordered. Will this become a joke like the Quantum Atlas 10K II?

LunarMist

I received the one through an alternate supplier and there are two others on the way. Interesting drives and typical Samsung characterstics. 1TB was never so small. :)
And DD where are your 1TB 2.5"x 9.5mm SSDs? :)

LunarMist

Arrgh. There are issues with this drive in some PSDs. I guess some device manufacturers did not plan ahead for 1TB drives. :frusty:
Fortunately they work just fine in the laptop. :)

LunarMist

Damn, the 1TB M8 is now $220. :bleh: They were $90 when I bought three a while ago. You'd think they were WD drives at that price.