Sandy Bridge problems

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I probably do have plenty of room, but there are oversized coolers and then there are OVERSIZED coolers. I think I'd stop at the 120mm fans just because those are the biggest, easily replaceable fans I'm aware of.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Silent PC review got better results with a 12cm Nexus fan than with the 14cm fan that came with the Noctua. So you don't have to worry about replacing the fan with a slightly smaller one.

Sol

Storage is cool
I have a Noctua NH-C14 on my 2500K. It's pretty much silent (Although I also have an ATI 5850, so I guess silence is relative) and keeps things much cooler than the stock heat sink. The only problem I had with it was that in the UK, I only had one vaguely reasonable choice when it came to jamming 16GB of DDR3 in the box and that was a Corsair Vengance kit. For some reason Corsair have seen fit to stick some fairly insane heat spreaders on those particular modules and there was no way all four modules would fit in with the NH-C14 without modification. Fortunately a couple of copper heat spreaders of a more normal size seem to work just as well on the RAM.
It's really more a problem with the RAM though since I suspect I'd have had the same issue with a lot of heat sinks.

I had a similar problem to Mercutio with the stock heat sink, when I overclocked the system hit 85C+ under load.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
No, no, no! The oversized heat spreaders are the go-faster bits. Now your RAM will be slow.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
You have some information about how much better the Z68 is when compared to the P67 that no one else is aware of? :scratch:

Well, now that it has been released from the NDA's and there is some public information which would you want?

From the person that obviously is not respected by you...

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, now that it has been released from the NDA's and there is some public information which would you want?

From the person that obviously is not respected by you...
Not sure what you're getting at there, but the reviews of the Z68 chipset I saw show no advantage over the P67 unless you're interested in using the integrated graphics for quicksync or want to use SSD caching.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
I thought I was quite clear in my previous statement.

Let me paraphrase - I see no advantage with the Z68 over the P67 unless you're interested in things that are advantageous.

Stereodude

Not really a
Well I would kind of like to know stuff about it since I could still send the Asus board back.
I already spelled the two "advantages". The ability to use Quick Sync via the onboard graphics (which can't actually drive an external monitor). SSD caching.

Color me unimpressed.

Handruin

Administrator
Another overview here.

Z68-blockdiagram.gif

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Where the f*ck are the USB 3.0 ports? And still only 2 SATA 6Gb/s ports?

Is Intel just arrogant or are they struggling to keep up with chipset designs?

Mercutio

Last I saw, Intel was saying Q4 2011 for USB3 support in the south bridge, "only" two years after shipping products with USB3 support hit the channel. I don't recall USB hi-speed's adoption being this slow.

Stereodude

Not really a
Considering only a SSD can take advantage of 6Gbps SATA I don't see a real problem with only have 2 of them. As far as USB 3.0 the nearly all of the motherboards have it courtesy of a chip from Renesas.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Intel don't want to give USB 3.0 traction - it will compete with Light Peak/Thunderbolt as a high-speed peripheral interconnect.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Considering only a SSD can take advantage of 6Gbps SATA I don't see a real problem with only have 2 of them. As far as USB 3.0 the nearly all of the motherboards have it courtesy of a chip from Renesas.

Do they have 6-12 ports yet like normal USB?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I know he's spelling Renesas (the USB 3.0 controler used on many motherboards to provide...USB 3.0 ports) backward. The way he put it, it's like it means something and I don't have the slightess clue what's so special about "sasener".

Do you realize that your name is edudoerets backward? It's so amazing, my jaw's on the floor!

Mercutio

Well, my Asus P8P67 Deluxe died over the weekend at age 58 days. Neither on board NIC nor any of the USB2 ports are functional.

So that's nice.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
At least it was yours and not some whining customer's.

I can't point at anything right now, but my impression is that specific motherboard has more problems than usual.

Of course, USB 2 plus network points directly at the Intel south bridge ... which is a big worry.

Mercutio

The NEC USB3 controller still works. I haven't dug out the manual to see how that's routed to the rest of the motherboard logic. I'm halfway inclined to just slap a NIC in it and let it run until it dies some more, not in the least because that's my main desktop.

Of course, I'm also going to see how awful the warranty service is. My last round with Gigabyte was atrocious, but historically, I've never, ever managed to successfully RMA a motherboard to Asus.

If I can't get them to take back a $250, two month old motherboard, I will be declaring fatwah, and there will be no toleration of its existence.

Mercutio

I'm still annoyed with Gigabyte and Intel didn't have any products that conformed to my needs.

Asus has mildly annoyed me for years but I don't have any evidence of systemic inferiority in the way that I do for certain other disliked brands of hardware.