Seagate 2TB

Handruin

Administrator
Seems strange to me. Maybe it's a marketing ploy to set them above others on paper who are using 5400 RPM? Is there even a reason why 5400 RPM was used in drives from the get go? Why not an even 5000 or 6000?

Stereodude

Not really a
I can see this will become the new spindle speed war. Next someone else will go to 6000RPM higher for their lower level drives.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
2TB drives are the higher end of consumer hard drive lines and priced accordingly, regardless of RPM.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
2TB drives are the higher end of consumer hard drive lines and priced accordingly, regardless of RPM.

Well Seagates 1.5GB drive certainly weren't priced at much of a premium. But then that drive turned out to be a true dud. I remain sceptical about their 2TB drive now too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
WDC has historically called 6000rpm drives "5400." The x00AB drives were widely thought to be 6000rpm.

I would be willing to accept 4200rpm with no detectable heat or noise if I could get a 2TB drive from an OEM I am willing to trust, but that's not the way Hitachi or Samsung operate.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
You trust the people who brought you the Deathstar?
Yes, I have yet to have a single one of my six 45GB 75GXP Drives fail even though they have been in continious service since before they were considered flawed: Like the energizer bunny, they keep running and running.

I do recognize that others did have problems with them: Just not me. I can hardly fault IBM for drives that just plain work.

I will probably replace them in the relatively near future. They are getting old and that means slow and too small.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I can't believe you still have a use for 45GB drives. The smallest non-SSD drive I have is 400GB.

Stereodude

Not really a
My only one (45GB) failed. I haven't bought an IBM or Hitachi drive since though it's been mostly because I haven't been impressed with their products.

Mercutio

My 75GXPs lived long and useful lives.

I still use 80GB drives in business machines and 40GB drives for classroom stuff sometimes.

Mostly I shy away from Hitachi because they are characteristically warm in a way I do not like, but for me they have a much better track record of reliability than WD or Seagate.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I can't believe you still have a use for 45GB drives. The smallest non-SSD drive I have is 400GB.
Which is why they are likely to get replaced eventually. For many applications, there is no real need for much faster or even much larger so their life continues on. There is no need to allocate additional resources to things that continue to do what needs to be done. If it just plain works, then any change can only mess that up. i.e there is no upside.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Mostly I shy away from Hitachi because they are characteristically warm in a way I do not like, but for me they have a much better track record of reliability than WD or Seagate.
Exactly why I avoid Hitachi too. There are too many cases with HD bays that have no fans and I really don't like crowding hitachi drives where there isn't a fan: they run too hot already.

LunarMist

That is why I like the WD Green drives. They are very cool and quiet. My old Hitachi 1TB drives need good ventilation.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Hitachi is a big conglomerate, but I don't think that they've gotten to the point that their hard drives also vacuum....

LunarMist

Yet there is no 2TB Hibachi to compare. Are they on the way out of the drive business?

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Nornmally that is corecto, but why so latre? Other brandes will have 4x500Gb 7020 RPM sooon.

Mercutio

In other news, Hitachi drives are now suspect.

WD did buy in to an SSD firm, though. I can't decide if a WD drive with no moving parts might actually be reliable or not. For now I'm going with "not."

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
In other news, Hitachi drives are now suspect.

WD did buy in to an SSD firm, though. I can't decide if a WD drive with no moving parts might actually be reliable or not. For now I'm going with "not."

Considering how much SSD's cost, 5-20x more, you'd think they could at least give comparable warranties, yet many SSD's are 1-2yr? Must be because they are more unreliable, or <reliable??? :p (non-sequitur)

Handruin

Administrator
It could be that the warranty length of the SSD chips is shorter so they pass that on to us as consumers.

LunarMist

They weren't there a few days ago and may have arrived just today. I wonder if Seagate resolved all of their crappy drive issues in this generation. I'll not be the first to try one. ;)