Someone is dreaming regarding AMD

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Read this "news" report.

Impossible. I wish it would happen, but it won't. 7nm process CPU design, ready to ship by 2018...nope. At least not from AMD.

Sounds like a rumor started by someone who've just bought AMD stocks. I've almost posted it in the Pub & Brewery.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
But we're mid 2016 and the high-end process is still 14nm. Even Intel's upcoming CPU (Kaby Lake) will be made with a 14nm process. The one after that, not due before the end of 2017 (Canon Lake IIRC) will use 10nm traces. Intel is moving to a 3-generations-per-process schedule, which means it won't move to 7nm before late 2019, possibly 2020.

Last time AMD beat Intel to introduce a process was so long ago that I'm not sure I can't even remember when (probably the first generation Athlon versus Coppermine). That's more than fifteen years ago. I wish they could beat Intel to launching 7nm architectures by a year and a half, but I don't believe it. That would be awesome (prices would finally come down), but it won't happen. I give it about as much chance to happen as Keith Richards being sober for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting that any of them are even talking about 7nm. Things I've heard indicated that no one has a clue how to do production-level chips below 10nm.

Stereodude

Not really a
It's probably not really 7nm. Like the 14nm process they're making The RX 480 on isn't really 14nm, but 20.