Something Random

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Memorial Day is our plant shutdown. Disconnect the electric from the power company for 12 hours then pray everything comes back up. I was on the 3PM to whenever shift to restart things. It was a long night.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've had it with voicemail, and will be disabling it on my cell and desk phones.

If you want to reach me and it is important, send an e-mail. If you want to try calling me, fine, but if you can't get through....see step 1.

Handruin

Administrator
I let my Google voice number take the call and bastardize a transcript to my email/text message.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
How is your experience with google voice?

It took me a decent amount of time to understand how to use the thing with click to call and all which sounds like a crappy experience on iPhone. Hope much better on android. After I understood how the thing worked it seems fine. I'm moving from go phone to straight talk and think about throwing my old number away and just relying on google voice.

So far I have noticed that text messages seem to come in slower, or maybe just notify slower due to apples push.

Handruin

Administrator
My overall experience with Google Voice has been positive so far. My use case for Google voice may be slightly different than what you intend. I typically give out my GV number to places and services that require a phone number. That way if I get spam/telemarketing, I can filter/block it and I never had to give out my real number. I use the iPhone app for GV to dial out (rarely) and manage the voice mails, but I rarely to never use the GV number for txt messages. I pay for a txt message plan and only use those with friends/family who have my real mobile number. GV is configured to txt my real mobile number when a voice mail is left under my GV account with the transcript of the message. As for the click to call, I seldom dial out with GV, so it's not a hassle for me.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Ah, I typically only use fake numbers for places that ask for one.

One of the nice things that you could do is dump your paid text plan and go through Google voice for those. Lots of people starting to do that it seems. The app seems to work perfectly fine in that area and the delay I was talking about is under a minute, just not super fast like texting.

The quirkiness with the click to call seems necessary for the way they are doing it assuming you want call her ID to show your Google voice number. But if you don't want your caller ID to show up on the outside world things are much easier, just turn off click to call and make phone calls on your cell phone natively, but disable caller ID on the phone. You can make the calls in the Google voice app or just natively on the cell phone app. It took me a minute or two to understand the concept on why they were doing it this way, I didn't see it explained anywhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
Doesn't look like it will let me port my corporate cell phone number (not surprising) or the voicemail on my company cell phone (annoying).

I have however just forwarded my desk phone to my new Google Voice number. That should fix more than half the issue.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't understand your statement about your cell phone voice mail? GV has its own voicemail, with visual voicemail that works reasonably well it seems. Can still listen to the audio in app anyway.

I got a pretty cool and easy to remember number with Google voice so I didn't want to port anything in. But I have been warned that it can take days and maybe up to a week to port a number out of Google voice. One weird thing is they didn't have anything in my entire states area code, had to go with Maine instead of New Hampshire.

ddrueding

Fixture
GV does have its own voicemail, but only if someone calls your GV number. Sprint won't allow me to port my company cellphone number to GV. Google's backup plan is to make Google Voice the handler of voicemail even if your phone is still with another provider. This sounds cool, and they even have instructions for how to do this with Sprint, but my phone just errors out.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well as I understand it if you port your number out you're actually closing the account that you ported from. You don't sound like you want to do that.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well as I understand it if you port your number out you're actually closing the account that you ported from. You don't sound like you want to do that.

I would love to, but my company (who owns the phone and a block of numbers) might be opposed. Google does let you keep the phone number and the hole phone with a different carrier and just reroute the voicemail. But Sprint is giving me a hard time.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Right, whoever owns the cell phone contract at your company would have to terminate the contract / approve the port. Specifically I think there is an account number and pin number involved. Never reported anything myself I'm just reading about it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just heard back from Google:

Contact your mobile phone carrier and ask if your phone supports conditional call forwarding.
Please note that if you're a Sprint user, Sprint is rolling out this feature to its users gradually and you may need to check with them to see if this feature is currently available on your phone.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Conditional forwarding like forward everything except for number X which is your Google voice number? That sounds pretty interesting.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
So does any of this technology mean that if I were to call one of you the sound would be better or I'd get through quicker or there would be any other benefit to the caller? I'm almost afraid to make a phone call now. :spiderman:

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Inbound it is just call forwarding, you probably couldn't even tell. Outbound you're still using the phone's hardware but you could use a landline from your Google voice so optionally it could be much better.

The benefit is just on our end managing all of the aspects of the phone number and what you do with it is much more flexible and divorced from the carrier.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Editing timed out:

Inbound it is just call forwarding, you probably couldn't even tell. You can even forward to a landline and have it be much better. Outbound you're still using the phone's hardware but you could use a landline from your Google voice so optionally it could be much better again.

The benefit is just on our end managing all of the aspects of the phone number and what you do with it is much more flexible and divorced from the carrier. You can switch it around as you please, if you work in and out of an office you can switch your cell to and from your landline very easily.

ddrueding

Fixture
Conditional forwarding like forward everything except for number X which is your Google voice number? That sounds pretty interesting.

I believe it is literally forwarding before going to voicemail. So the call rings on the phone, then is re-routed to your GV voicemail.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just switched my office to Vocalocity's VOIP service. We're using various Cisco phones now, or I can swap in a software based phone that runs on Windows. I can manage all my phone numbers and extensions from the web or from a tool that runs on Android and iOS. I can configure calls to ring first my office line, then my cell phone and then to my office voice mail or a land line. Voicemails wind up in my email as MP3 files. The only cool thing I've wanted to do but couldn't was a direct import of a contacts list into all my phones at once.

For all of that, there was an up-front cost that worked out to be about $125/phone and our monthly bill is 48% of what it was when we still had our stupid old PBX.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I believe it is literally forwarding before going to voicemail. So the call rings on the phone, then is re-routed to your GV voicemail.

Ah cool. This is definitely something that needs carrier support then it sounds like.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I will be out of the country scuba diving with sharks beginning next weekend. If I do not return, don't worry about feeding the fish. :)

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
That depends on the species. Even Attica old me has gone swimming with the sharks.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Looks like all those NFO files I see. For a minute I thought it was going to generate a picture based on one uploaded.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Looks like all those NFO files I see. For a minute I thought it was going to generate a picture based on one uploaded.

Try this site for jpeg's... http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMI:::~~:NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM77?7+=::::~~==I7OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+++~,.......,::::+~++MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMI~,..................:~~+$MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN==+.....................,,:+ZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM7++........................::7OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?,,,,,,...,...................+=88MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD+,::,:::,,,,,,..,.,..........,~~++MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM=:~:::::::::::,,,,:,,,,,,,,,,,,,=++~MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM7I==~~~~~~~~~:~:::,,,:::::::::,,:=~~:MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?+?????+++++==~ONNNNZ~~~~~~~~~~:~===????NNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM????????????++?MDDNDM+==~========+++~::=??MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?I?????III????7NNNDNN+===========++==~~~II$MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?====:::~~~===ZMMII777777777777?$DDNN$+????????+?+?+++==+??8MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8??~~..........,~~=??I7$77$$777777777IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII??+++=+=++MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM87~~,......... ...=III7$$$$$$$$$$$777777777777IIIIIII7??????=~~MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM87,..................,$$$7$$$$Z$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$7$II77II?788MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDD$,.,...... .........,77ZZ$ZZZ$ZZZZZZZZZZZZ$$$$$$$$$$$$7?$??II??OOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMII:.,,.................,77ZOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ?77==++IZIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIII.,,,,,..,,............IIZOO$OOOZZZZZZZZZZZOZZZZZZZZZZZ7I$?==++?ZDDIMMMMMMMMMMMMMDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+~~:~::::::::::::,,,,,,,,??ZZZ8$$$OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$II$$7?++==++777MMMMMMMMMZZ$=::??ZMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD====~==~~~~~~::::,:::::::??ZOOOOOI$OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$III??+=++===+==?IMMMMMMMOOO+~~=~~8MMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD7============~::+Z$=::~=~~??ZOOO88777$ZZOOOZZZZ$ZZ$$7?++=============+=INMMMMZI?==~=+=??OMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN?+++??????++++88NDNN88~===IIOOOO88$$$Z$$$$$7II+=============~===~=====~==???+~+?????=I==MMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDI?????II?????+DDNNDN88++++IIOOO8OO$$$$$$$7?===============~~~~~~~====~~~+=++?I+I77?+7I~~MMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8????IIIIIIIII?ZZMNDMZZ+???77OZO8$$$$7777?+==++~==~==~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=====+77I??I7$7==MMMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN?IIII7777777777$IIIIII7II7ZZ888Z$$$7?++++=====~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=====+I:MMO7$III$MMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD7III777777$7777777$$777$77ZZO8O$$$I??++=====~~=~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=+Z$$$OI7??N=MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:III777$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ZOOO8$$II?+++=====~~~=~~~~~~=~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~==$$D8I7++IZO?887NMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+II$77$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ZOOOOZ$7???++=======~~=~~~==~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=~=~~~~~~~~+7+===~==I7777MMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDII7$$$$$$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOO8OZ7I???+++===========~~==~~~~~~~~====~~=======~===+++++????+===+====~?DMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM==I$$$$$ZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOO$I????+=+==========~==~~=~==========~===~~==++++???IIII777II?===+++=?:MM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNN?7$$ZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOO$$$???++++===========~====~==============+++=++???IIII777$7I7$7I+=++++?~MM
NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM$+7$$$$ZZZZZOOOOOOOZ$77I??++++=+=====+=++++=======+++=+=++++???II?7I7$$$$ZZZZZ$$$II$7?+II?=+=++
NMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~777$ZZZZZOOO88Z$7$77I+++++++++===++++++++++++++++++++++++?IIIII7$$ZZZZZZZZZZZZ$$Z$I???+=++II
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOO=I7777$$$7II77$$II++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++????IIIII7$$$$ZZZZZOOOOOZZZZZZ$$I???II++$$
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDMMMMM:7$I????+???+++++++??+++???+??+?????I777$$$ZZ$ZZOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZ$$$$7I?IIIII+$$
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,7$I????????++++???+??+++I??III?I777I$$Z$$$ZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZ$$77$7I?II7III$$
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:77???????????????????II+IIIII?7I7$$7$$ZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOO7III77777I7??777I7~77
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNII????????????????I??IIIIIIIII$$$ZZ$$ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO7??????IIIII??++II7:MM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNII????I?IIIIIIIIIIII7III7$Z77$$$ZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZI?+++?I????II?+II7I7MMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN+I????I?IIIIIII77I77I77$Z$$$$$$ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZ7?++++IIIIIIII??II7$MMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?II???I?IIIIIII77II7I$$$$$$ZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOII??++++?III??II??7$DZMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~II??IIIIIII77III77$$$$$ZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO77II?+++++?IIIII?II8MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIII77I77777$$$$ZZ$ZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8$IIII?++++??IIIIII??OMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?IIIII7I77II7$$$ZZ$$OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8OOOOOZ7I????+++??IIIIIIII7DMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?IIII777777$$$ZZ$ZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8OOO77I7????++?????IIIIIII~MMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8??III77777$$Z$ZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8O88O8O7IIII????+?????IIIIIIII:MMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??77I777$$$$$$ZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO88O7?77I???????????IIIIIIII~MMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?I7777$$ZZ$$ZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO888O7?IIII??+++???I??IIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM??I7777$777$OZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO888O77??III????????IIIIIIII7III?MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?I7777$$$$$ZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8O7???III?????I??IIIIIII77777I=MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+77$$7$$$ZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8888OO7?IIIIII??I?II????IIII777777I?MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:?77777ZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZ77$7II???III7IIIIIII7777777IIII?MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~I$777$ZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZ$$$$I?II??IIIIIIII??III7777777III?MMMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~?7$77ZOZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZOOZ$7IIII??I77777III777I777777777III?,MMMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:77$$ZOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$$Z7IIIIII77777$77II77777777$$77$777III?I=MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+$$$$$ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ$$$$IIIIIII7$$$$77777777$7777$$$7$777IIII?=MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM$$$$$$ZZZZZZ$$$$Z$ZZ$$$$ZZ$$7I77777$ZZ7777$I777$77777$$$$$7777IIII?I??MMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM77$$Z$ZZ$$ZZZ$$$$$$$ZZ$$$$7777$$$$$$$$77$7I$77$$$$77$$$$$$$$7777I??+??MMMMMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMII$$$$$ZZZZZZ77$ZZ$$$$$$$$$$7777$7$$I$$$77$$$$$$ZZ$$$$7777IIII??+++=?MMM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?8+$$$ZZZ$ZZZZ$777$$$$$$$$$$7777$$$$$7$$77$$$$ZZ$Z$Z$$$$77777?I?++==?III
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?$$7$$Z$$$Z$$77I77777777$$$77$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Z$$$$$$7$7IIIII?++===~??
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDDMMI=$$7$$$$$Z$$7777777$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ZZZZZZ$ZZ$$$$77777III???+++===
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZZO777ZZ$Z$$$$77$7$$$$$$$$$$ZZZZZZZZZZ$ZZ$$$$$7777III????++=++
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMO++?7$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ZZZZ$ZZ$$$$$$777III?????++++
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDDZ+7$$$$$$$$$ZZZ$ZZ$$ZZZZZ$Z$$$7$$$777IIIII??????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM$$II7$$ZZZ$$$ZZZ$ZZZZZZ$$Z$$$$7$77IIII????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMNNI?$7$$$$$ZZZ$ZZZZZZZ$Z$$$$7$77IIII??????II
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM87$$7$$ZZZZ$$ZZZZ$$Z$$$$7777III?II???I??
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM88+$$$ZZZ$$ZZZ$$ZZZZ$$77IIIIII????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ$$$$$Z$$ZZZZZ$$$$$$77IIIIII????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD7$$$$Z$$ZZZZZ$$$$$$7777II??????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDDI$$$$$ZZZZZZZ$$$$$$77IIIIII?????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZZ$$$$$Z$$$Z$$$$$$$$777IIIII??????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM==7$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$77777IIII???????????
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZII$$$$$$$$$$$$$7$$7777IIIII?????????++

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Motorcycle electrical connections are rarely weather tight I have found, you can fix most of the problems just by taking the connectors apart cleaning the rust out, taking them up and putting it back together.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
So I need to noise proof my office.

The building I'm in now used to be a bank. The acoustics are such that the person in the office in the opposite corner of the building can hear my laptop speakers at about 40% volume; I can hear our receptionist chewing right now, with the door to my office closed.

I don't teach during the day so I don't really give a crap about how much I can or cannot hear coming from the classrooms, but I do want to be able to listen to music in my office without headphones.

So anyway, I suppose I'll be buying some acoustic panels. I'm just not sure how many I'll need or where I should put them.

ddrueding

Fixture
Two cases of stuff from ATS Acoustics arrived here last week. I haven't messed with the full sized sheets of acoustic insulation yet, but I have been playing with the foam panels, and it is a remarkable improvement in some of the more live rooms. If course, if you want to actually stop noise you'll need some more active stuff like blocking all the air gaps around the door and maybe adding some mass.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This evening, I walked 16.3Km to get back to my car from work instead of taking the metro. Took me 3h01m. I did not run at all. I saved 3$ for the ticket. I walked the first hour at 5.4Km/h, the second at 5.8Km/h and the last one at ~5.0Km/h because my feet started to hurt. I had new cheap steel-cap work boots that are less than ideal for a long walk. My older boots where much better for this. My feet don't want me to do this too often.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Why do people look at me strange when I reply "Of course it's in the last place you looked. Why would you keep looking for it, if you found it?",

to their comment/question "why is it always in the last place you look".

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Released v1.3.2 of gMTP today.

I should have entitled this, "Get over it, your precious Google Nexus / Samsung Galaxy phone has a buggy implementation of MTP, call Google/Samsung and bitch to them since you gave them money for a product with bugs in the firmware, not to the people who are trying to offer you a viable solution (on Linux, *BSD, Solaris) for connecting your phone to your computer, and being able to manage the device at no cost".

but alas, I guess Google can do no evil...

PS. If you can't tell, 90% of the bug reports I get are from people with a Google Nexus phone or Samsung Galaxy device, and there is nothing I can do about it, since the MTP software stack on the device is broken, yet I get told I'm a lazy arse and should learn how to program. grrrr.....

Stereodude

Not really a
Why do people look at me strange when I reply "Of course it's in the last place you looked. Why would you keep looking for it, if you found it?",

to their comment/question "why is it always in the last place you look".
Because that's not really what they meant. But, I suspect you already knew that. ;)