Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a date planned every night for the next 10 days.
With a girl.
Different girls, in fact. Like, more than one.

Apparent this is what happens when you lose 160lbs. and start wearing sport coats regularly.

Handruin

Administrator
I have a date planned every night for the next 10 days.
With a girl.
Different girls, in fact. Like, more than one.

Apparent this is what happens when you lose 160lbs. and start wearing sport rain coats regularly.

Congrats. How did you go from zero dates to ten in such a short amount of time?

Mercutio

Great news. :cheers: It's good to get laid once in a while.

That is more devoutly to be wished for than a concrete outcome at this point, LM.

But anyway, these are girls I've gotten to know. I have a bunch of time off and a wide-open schedule, so every time I've said "Hey, we should go do XYZ", they've said yes.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm happy for you also. Maybe I should lose 160 pounds too. :D (just kidding of course-I wouldn't weigh much more than my three cats put together if I lost that much weight).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I don't understand how having the credit card info allowed the crooks to hijack a seemingly unrelated bank account. :scratch: Every time you eat dinner people have access to you credit card.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Likely had his browser remember the web page password for his bank? Or key logger etc.

LunarMist

Well, there is always risk from online banking. It could just as well been a hidden malware than a scammer.

I did find the part about Vista running slowly to be amusing. Doesn't it always on older machines?

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
It sounds like this guy gave him remote access and the guy downloaded a bunch of stuff and was poking around. So it's not a stretch to believe he either had a keylogger getting those passwords or some other malware.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I set up a XMPP/Jabber server this morning. This was actually pretty fun and not too bad once I stumbled on Openfire.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Now thinking about exchange so I can take my calendar and contacts off of google. Hmm.

Apparently exchange 2010 doesn't support WebDAV, says my K-9 client. Don't think that even matters for what I want to do, it would if I wanted to do email sometime. Don't think I want to try out 2013 either.

To do that I would also have to find a replacement for google calendar sync and the contact sync I am using on the work computer.

Mercutio

Some people don't like the intense concentration of information that Google has about us. Of course, Google isn't the worthless dangling shitberry that Facebook is, but there isn't anything it does that can't be done reasonably well with some other combination of online services.

I will say that voluntarily running Exchange for anything less than several dozen people with an established need and the ability to use all its features ranks right up there with giving oneself a vasectomy with a heavy-duty stapler during an epileptic seizure.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I read some of the exchange requirements and I am thinking merc is right.

I see someone on app.net that is using Zimbra and Zextras to do that on Ubuntu. Thing is it is so far outside of my wheelhouse the getting started intimidation factor is up there.

Mercutio

The big problem with OSS systems for push email is that they tend to be missing something or other. You're either going to pay money because someone actually licensed ActiveSync (e.g. Zafara) or there's a push implementation that doesn't support something-or-other or has insane package dependencies to make sure that stuff works.

ddrueding

Fixture
Google does indeed have a massive concentration of our data, and using them for e-mail/docs gives them more, but as Merc says it is a lot of work to get something nearly as good. Not worth it for less than a couple hundred accounts at least.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I'm coming back around to that way of thinking, not worth it but just thinking out loud.

I pay for fastmail and I wouldn't be opposed to paying for something to take care of calendar and contacts should it be reasonable.

Seems like android supports activesync and this "server" item for contacts and calendar. Wonder what that is? caldev?

Mercutio

I did a little bit of reading about it and I guess they effectively leave an open IMAP connection between compliant clients and the various GMail services for data transfer. That's how their server-side push works, anyway.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I did a little bit of reading about it and I guess they effectively leave an open IMAP connection between compliant clients and the various GMail services for data transfer. That's how their server-side push works, anyway.

I'm using K-9 and it does support IMAP IDLE but I wasn't aware of it using google servers for push, can you link me to what you were reading?

I have never thought about the relationship of the servers for the push portion before. I'm not clear on the iphone side but I think they have to have their own push servers, based on my seeing devs talk about it and from outages etc. Most of the excitement is over whether apple will allow them to use the api at all it seems.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I found this old article about android push

http://tokudu.com/2010/how-to-implement-push-notifications-for-android/

I know the iphone also uses SMS for push where available and I think the ipods/ipads must use something else like the persistent connection.

I browsed the git comments on K-9 and I'm not really seeing discussion on exactly how they handle it but I didn't see google services mentioned. I would have to believe there would be discussion somewhere if K-9 was forwarding everything to google services for push delivery to the handset but I am not seeing it.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
OK, I have seen that several times before.

The thing is all those vehicles are not oversize by todays standards and in my opinion that town has some explaining to do on why they don't fix this. If they put up lights many signs and two cameras they are perfectly aware of the problem.
http://11foot8.com/faq/
Reading that is a perfect circle jerk of denying responsibility. Someone needs to excavate the road to increase the clearance as this is a train bridge and it would be a major undertaking to raise it.

ddrueding

Fixture
I think the reason I enjoy 11foot8 so much is that stupid doesn't get punished enough in our society. Too often smart people take crazy measures to accommodate stupid people.

But that far south of the Mason-Dixon I suspect there is a shortage of smart people to take said measures...

LunarMist

Most of the geniuses I know in CA are in the bay area or in a few areas of the southland.