Something Random

ddrueding

Fixture
It runs like a crippled wildebeest. :p I wonder how it does in water. They need to cut down the noise. Basically they are building a very expensive pack mule.

I'm supportive of the project, but they still have a long way to go. It annoys me that they do a cut after the thing falls/rolls; I would have felt much better if the camera had kept rolling and it just stood back up.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I'm hoping there will be other things to come from some of the technologies because I just can't see how it's any better than a robot with treads.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Anyone ever used a Canada Goose Citadel Parka? It's apparently a slimmer version of their Expedition Parka. I'm looking for a down filled jacket and they seem to be highly rated.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
This is a coat for -15C temperature. All you need to feel confortable at 0C is a jeans coat or a leather biker coat. I spend all my winters with an ordinary leather coat without any insulation to speak of and I often take walks at -20C or below. The worst I've had to do was to zip the zipper instead of letting the coat open. Even though it's obvious I have a higher cold resistance than you have, it should also be obvious that if I can sustain -20C with a leather coat, you should be able to live with it at only 0C.

Your Russian wife should be quite amused when you tell her it's cold outside...

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I just got a nice new US Naval issue wool peacoat. It's nice and warm, and it looks formal enough to use as an overcoat as well as standard cold weather wear.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Anyone here use simple.com bank? Have an invite to share?

I could be moving soonish and I would like to give them a try to see if they can replace my bank.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Wow, that sounds disappointing - the pics of your home office and surrounds made it look like a really nice environment.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Don't use WD40 to lube hinges. It is actually a penetrating solvent and will dry out while removing whatever lube is there. This is a cause for customer complaints on creaky door hinges but they don't realize that they are actually causing the problem. Use white lithium grease.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Where are the 5400 RPM 4TB drives now? It's ridiculous that WD killed off the 5K4000. :bibber:

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Driving along on the way to work, 65MPH, divided highway, two lanes in each direction, engine cuts out, check engine light comes on. Tried downshifting and engaging the clutch to start it back up, whilst underway, no luck. Luckily I was just before an offramp, so could pull over into the breakdown lane with low risk of some nutter hitting me as I opened the hood to check the oil level. Oil was OK, at top of recommended level, but top of engine/valve area was doing a typewriter type chattering noise for a while. Closed the hood, chattering noise eventually stopped, engine started right back up. Got to work with no further issues, but took it in to the dealer for a timing belt and oil change just to be safe (at 90,000 miles now, recommended replacement interval for timing belt is 60,000). Still got 10,000 miles left on the warranty, if anything catastrophic is going to happen, now would be a good time.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Gosh, you sure take chances, don't you? If the timing belt had gone bust after 60k miles, you would have kissed your engine goodbye. Why have you put it off for so long?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Gosh, you sure take chances, don't you? If the timing belt had gone bust after 60k miles, you would have kissed your engine goodbye. Why have you put it off for so long?

I didn't have the $385 at hand when 60,000 ticked over. I relied on Hyundai's safety margin (if they rate it for 60,000 miles, the average failure point must be significantly higher). And yes, I knew the engine would be toast if it had failed.

Coug: Yes, the Elantra.

They found some of the spark plug wires had deteriorated pretty badly, hopefully that was the culprit for the engine shutdown.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You understand that not getting scheduled maintenance performed voids the warranty right? 30k miles Is a long way to go to not get that done.

I know of a tale for Land Rover that the service dept had a lady call in and say her oil light is on and what should she do? They told her to pull over stop the engine and wait for their tow truck. She drove in anyway, truck barely running and was quoted at the service counter as saying thank God I've got a warranty. Warranty claim denied here is your $6000 bill.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Sure, but the timing belt is either working, or failed (catastrophic loss). So now that the belt is replaced, my warranty coverage is still good until I hit 100,000 miles (oil changes have been done at the specified 5,000 mile intervals).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Surprisingly catchy ditty:

[video=youtube;OpCJzdWxEbQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OpCJzdWxEbQ[/video]

ddrueding

Fixture
My sister is driving down from Portland to the bay area for the weekend. She came across a self-driving car and was amazed. Based on the comments made by her friends on facebook, I should have been amazed that she even knew what it was. The comments/questions are mind-boggling. Is this really not common knowledge?