Something Random

Handruin

Administrator
OK, I have seen that several times before.

The thing is all those vehicles are not oversize by todays standards and in my opinion that town has some explaining to do on why they don't fix this. If they put up lights many signs and two cameras they are perfectly aware of the problem.
http://11foot8.com/faq/
Reading that is a perfect circle jerk of denying responsibility. Someone needs to excavate the road to increase the clearance as this is a train bridge and it would be a major undertaking to raise it.

Sounds like the town has taken ample precaution to warn over-sized vehicles (over-sized for this bridge clearance) a few blocks away that they won't fit and the railroad company protects the bridge with a crash bar. Based on reading the FAQ, lowering the road or raising the bridge is a substantial cost. None of the videos show people getting killed and if at most maybe slightly injured in their ego.

There is a bridge a few towns over from me that also has some following because it's known for owning a few stuck trucks under it and also has similar warnings several hundred yards before the railroad bridge. It isn't as low as the 11'8" nor does it get hit as often, but trucks still seem to think the height doesn't apply.

Handruin

Administrator
This is neat. GE develops ultra-thin, almost-silent cooler for next-gen laptops and tablets.

The technology behind GE’s cooler is called DCJ — Dual Piezoelectric Cooling Jets. DCJ basically acts as a miniature pair of bellows: Expanding to suck in cool air, and then contracting to expel hot air. GE originally invented DCJ to help cool commercial jet engines, but two years ago it seems someone had the clever idea of miniaturizing the tech for use in computers — and so here we are.

[video=youtube_share;Hm5fXj-hUpk]http://youtu.be/Hm5fXj-hUpk[/video]

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Sounds like the town has taken ample precaution to warn over-sized vehicles (over-sized for this bridge clearance) a few blocks away that they won't fit and the railroad company protects the bridge with a crash bar. Based on reading the FAQ, lowering the road or raising the bridge is a substantial cost. None of the videos show people getting killed and if at most maybe slightly injured in their ego.

There is a bridge a few towns over from me that also has some following because it's known for owning a few stuck trucks under it and also has similar warnings several hundred yards before the railroad bridge. It isn't as low as the 11'8" nor does it get hit as often, but trucks still seem to think the height doesn't apply.

I don't agree. Precaution doesn't fix the actual problem, it's an excuse.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't agree. Precaution doesn't fix the actual problem, it's an excuse.

Believe me, we have the technology to move a water pipe.

All the signs point to money (or lack there of). It's not worth them rebuilding miles of railroad tracks and shutting down the line for a month just to raise the bridge or even rerouting the pipes to route the road lower under the bridge. The destruction of vehicle property is the operator's fault. If people were being injured then maybe this might feel like a larger concern.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
It's a downward spiral, if they can't be bothered to keep their infrastructure in shape for business than they will move out taking their tax revenue with them.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Is that a USB 3.0 horse drive? My last experience with the Corsair was not good. The interior broke free from the soft plastic casing, and it failed. :(

LunarMist

What is all this BS about the world ending next week?
I don't recall that the world ended before as if this were the first time.

LunarMist

I have a date planned every night for the next 10 days.
With a girl.
Different girls, in fact. Like, more than one.

Apparent this is what happens when you lose 160lbs. and start wearing sport coats regularly.

We need updates. :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's an amazing scam!

The energy stored by lifting a 9kg weight 1 meter is 88 Joules. Even assuming 100% efficiency (more likely <50% with the necessary gears), that's only 88 Watt-seconds (1/40,000th of a kilowatt-hour). Spread out over 30 minutes, you'd have a massive 50mW (0.05W) available to run your tiny red indicator LED ...

To put it another way, you'd have to lift the 20 pound weight more than 80 times to get the same effect as an AA battery.

LunarMist

It's an amazing scam!

The energy stored by lifting a 9kg weight 1 meter is 88 Joules. Even assuming 100% efficiency (more likely <50% with the necessary gears), that's only 88 Watt-seconds (1/40,000th of a kilowatt-hour). Spread out over 30 minutes, you'd have a massive 50mW (0.05W) available to run your tiny red indicator LED ...

To put it another way, you'd have to lift the 20 pound weight more than 80 times to get the same effect as an AA battery.

It still might be of some use, but I wonder how much UAT has been conducted compared to other mechanical means of generating and storing power?

ddrueding

Fixture
My brother-in-law and I once did a similar calculation. He needed emergency power for the blower on his pellet stove, and we thought it would be cool to have a weight decend the double-height entryway in case of emergency. He only needed a couple hours of power, but we calculated the weight as several tons (not ok to have suspended near the front door.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
My brother-in-law and I once did a similar calculation. He needed emergency power for the blower on his pellet stove, and we thought it would be cool to have a weight decend the double-height entryway in case of emergency. He only needed a couple hours of power, but we calculated the weight as several tons (not ok to have suspended near the front door.

Chicken

LunarMist

I couldn't jusify the price so I went with the Sandisk Extreme USB 3 models in 16 and 32GB sizes.

That Corsair does not look like a very reliable product, and is not worth it to me either at the ~$140 price. I have far more confidence in an SSD for my portable storage needs. I suppose the USB drive may be useful for some transfers if the data is not important.

ddrueding

Fixture
That Corsair does not look like a very reliable product, and is not worth it to me either at the ~$140 price. I have far more confidence in an SSD for my portable storage needs. I suppose the USB drive may be useful for some transfers if the data is not important.

It is my portable toolbox. Lives in my glove box most of the time and contains all the software I commonly need and system images. I'll also use it to transport backups from "offline" sites to my office. The 64GB wasn't enough anymore.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
It's an amazing scam!

I didn't do the math like you did :)

I was excited about the concept, though. Imagine, no batteries to replace, no solar cells. For the poor in the third world, this would be a totally awesome device if it worked. I did find it strange that they pitched for donations at the end of the clip.

This kind of out of the box thinking (even though this idea apparently will not work) will be critical to solving our problems going forward. Reminded me of the guy who came up with the idea of using plastic sheets in Africa to trap dew / condensation to provide drinking water.