Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
1. Are fans in Mac laptops modular and easy to remove?"

They're pretty easy to access, actually. Unlike the Pavilion dv6 in that video where they're buried underneath keyboard (which requires removing every optional part from the bottom side of the unit) AND parts of the mainboard assembly, all the fans are right under the bottom plate.

Of course, the other side to that is that the shitty Pavilion has a replaceable battery and none of its RAM is soldered in, and it costs a third of what an MBP does.

Mercutio

I think the value it has is as as a single point of connection. Plug a display in, tuck the computer someplace out of the way and run whatever other connectors you need off ports in the display. It's clearly wasted as being yet another high speed external disk interface, but as one universal cable that can carry display/audio/ethernet/USB/Firewire/eSATA there is a lot of utility.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think the value it has is as as a single point of connection. Plug a display in, tuck the computer someplace out of the way and run whatever other connectors you need off ports in the display. It's clearly wasted as being yet another high speed external disk interface, but as one universal cable that can carry display/audio/ethernet/USB/Firewire/eSATA there is a lot of utility.

I suppose that is more useful for laptops than desktops.

Mercutio

It's useful for both, since it means that there could be a smaller I/O plate on a system and the ports are where people actually want them.
Er, if anyone is making monitors that actually HAVE USB/Firewire/eSATA/Ethernet on them and accept Thunderbolt input, anyway.

LunarMist

It's useful for both, since it means that there could be a smaller I/O plate on a system and the ports are where people actually want them.
Er, if anyone is making monitors that actually HAVE USB/Firewire/eSATA/Ethernet on them and accept Thunderbolt input, anyway.

Does the Thunderbowl go through the KVM?

LunarMist

No, you meant bolt, like in Thunderbolt, the real name of the interface.

I thought it was Thunderbowl. Thunderbolt makes little sense and implies a dangerous high voltage discharge or maybe an old firearm. IS there a formal alphanumeric identifier that could be used instead?

ddrueding

Fixture
I find myself in a number of super bowl betting pools. They seem to be based on the scores at the end of each quarter and the final. I don't think I'll be watching the game. Is there an app for that? Any other suggestions?

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I find myself in a number of super bowl betting pools. They seem to be based on the scores at the end of each quarter and the final. I don't think I'll be watching the game. Is there an app for that? Any other suggestions?

You could just wait until the game is over and see if you won.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
If you were really curious before the game is over you could use the ESPN Scorecenter app. I know it breaks down which quarter the points were scored in as the game goes on.
I suspect the NFL website would have the same information in realtime.

LunarMist

It sems that there is more and more cause for "Buchner, Buchner." Where is everyone?

LunarMist

I believe they all are watching the hype pageantry and splendour leading up to today's SuperBowl.

Well, I don't know if there is a relationship to the forum membership. I haven't watched super bowls since the 1980s.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
My son is not into sports, but he records the Super Bowl and the watches it later, skipping past the game to watch the commercials. The comercials are usually the best part of the Supper Bowl.

LunarMist

It's just crazy. :shake2: Advertisers should be paying us consumers to watch commercials more that the alloted time.

Mercutio

Weekends are usually a lot more busy for me than weekdays, Lunar. This week was not an exception.

One of the old servers in my apartment hat a flame-out today. I do mean flame. It set off my smoke alarm and got me a call from my landlord. As near as I can tell, the video card (which probably hadn't been connected to anything in five years or so) decided to go out in style and it happened to take a couple paper tags that were in the chassis along with it. Some of the insulation on a few SATA cables is melted, but the system never stopped working; my VNC session to that machine is still responsive. The video card has inky black smears on both sides of the PCB and the heat sink is in a couple pieces. All the caps on the card are burst.

I'm not sure what kind of card it was. Maybe a Radeon 7200?