Something Random

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
She acts like she's quite a bit older. I thought she was in her mid or late 20s. She thought I was in my mid or late 20s.
Whatever. It's working.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
We can only do Texas when they want to, when we agree they get all feisty. And I would like to keep Austin; that place is pretty cool.

They have no say so in the weather events. Down by the gulf it is hurricanes they suffer from rather than 2 feet of snow.

LunarMist

If Austin is the price we must pay to rid ourselves of Dallas and Houston, I say that it is worth it.

I would not know the difference. For whatever reason, we don't do any serious business in the state so I've only been there briefly.

LunarMist

She acts like she's quite a bit older. I thought she was in her mid or late 20s. She thought I was in my mid or late 20s.
Whatever. It's working.

Unless things have changed recently, it's usually easy enough to figure out the age group of the undergrads by the style and topics of discussion.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Had to happen sooner or later. Wife had an email in her spam folder that read "You have an invitation to join Fu*kbook".

Mercutio

Granted, there are file trading communities all over the place. The thing that made Demonoid interesting was that it was well-curated and full of otherwise unique content. NNTP and most torrent sites aren't terribly well organized but Demonoid absolutely was, which made it a lot more rewarding to, er, "window shop" there.

LunarMist

Well, that's at least one good side of having absolutely no friend.

I'll always have my dirty Jenny Roberts. :) I only her ten hours this week.
Anyway, my friends aren't on the f*ckface or simile websites.

ddrueding

Fixture

I was setting up a satellite internet connection out in the middle of nowhere. Very expensive link, 6'+ dish, multiple shielded coax cables to the modem, very high-end. No expense was spared.

But you can't go faster than the speed of light; the time it takes for data to travel from the dish to the satellite (directly over Houston it turns out) to the ground and back is three quarters of a second. So you click a link and nothing happens for 780ms, then WHAM your download finishes in a flash. Fine for big downloads, but surfing sucks and VoIP is a nightmare. Probably the crappiest user experience this side of dial-up.

fb

Storage is cool
Nevermind, I just realised I mixed up, I somehow got confused and got Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris mixed up... but Chuck would surley finish the tunnel in 6 years.

Mercutio

Probably the crappiest user experience this side of dial-up.

One of my classroom sites is on a 128kB/sec iDSL line. It's a fantastic room. It has an awesome projector and the classroom systems are completely ridiculous.
But... 128k DSL. For 24 people, plus seven or eight on-site office workers? And then they bitch and moan because we never want to teach classes there.

I'd take the latency, were it an option.

LunarMist

Nevermind, I just realised I mixed up, I somehow got confused and got Charles Bronson and Chuck Norris mixed up... but Chuck would surley finish the tunnel in 6 years.

Neither one of them were very tall, but Bronson looked a lot stronger to me. Of course the last time I saw either of them in person was over 40 years ago. Anyway, the reference to Bronson is from The Great Escape.